W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

My E55 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2019 | 11:22 AM

My E55 sedan

I have been around here forever lurking sold my W211 E63 on accident this spring and have always wanted an E55. A forum member popped up with his for sale and we made a deal. It's quite a car.

I haven't done all that many mods as he had it tuned and the cooling mods done. I have done a Sunveer front lip in carbon, tinted the windows, E63 2 piece Brembos rotors with Brembo 1 piece rears with Akebono ceramic pads. I also added a set of Stance 19" wheels but really liked the OEM look so I sold them to a forum member. I then sourced a set of CLS550 wheels and had them refinished and wrapped them with Goodyear Supercup 3s. Here are a couple pics.

Wheels after refinishing.

Last edited by b16gsr; 10-05-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2019 | 02:46 PM

E55 AMG wagon
Nice! Keep the pics coming.
Old 09-28-2019 | 03:14 PM

W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
Do you rub in the rear? Car looks very nice.
Old 09-29-2019 | 04:42 PM

poop
Looks like your car is lower in the rear than the front
Old 09-29-2019 | 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Marine Corp

07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Looking good
Old 09-29-2019 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Your suspension geometry is f****d up. No offense meant. From the photos, I estimate the rear axles would measure at ~-3* to -4* inclination angle versus the factory recommended angle of -0.9* to -1.5* inclination angle. Correct that and you'll have a better riding car, the tires will last longer, and you won't be stressing the rear air springs by running them under inflated. Relatively easy to correct if you have access to STAR.

The middle of the factory recommended inclination angle, -1.2*, should put your rear camber at ~ -1.7* and fender roll-to-ground distance at 26 3/4" to 27". If the rear fender roll is less than 26" from the ground, your suspension is below the factory recommended specs. If the car has UPD rear camber arms I will modify my comments but with caveats. Suspension mods depend upon if you want a part-time canyon carver, full-up track car, or a boulevard cruiser. *If* the car has UPD rear control arms, you can still raise the car and bring the rear camber back into the factory recommended range; just keep an eye on the Heim joints on the upper arm. And be careful when raising the car on a lift as the full weight of the wheel/tire/hub assembly is hanging on the UPD rear control arms. The ones I saw/touched hung up on the rear subframe and were subjected to the full weight of everything outboard; I literally returned mine rather than installing them on my car. (The UPD rear toe arms, however, are an awesome purchase and I highly recommend those!)

The car looks great and I hope you get many miles and hours of driving pleasure out of it.

Bottom line: your circus, your monkeys, your money and time.

Enjoy the ride. You have a good looking car of which you can be proud.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 09-29-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2019 | 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 02jcrane
Nice! Keep the pics coming.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Dokus
Do you rub in the rear? Car looks very nice.
Zero rubbing

Originally Posted by kenneyd
Looks like your car is lower in the rear than the front
I had just dropped the car off the jack and snapped those pics quick before the storms rolled in.

Originally Posted by Yuille36
Looking good
Thank you my friend.

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Your suspension geometry is f****d up. No offense meant. From the photos, I estimate the rear axles would measure at ~-3* to -4* inclination angle versus the factory recommended angle of -0.9* to -1.5* inclination angle. Correct that and you'll have a better riding car, the tires will last longer, and you won't be stressing the rear air springs by running them under inflated. Relatively easy to correct if you have access to STAR.

The middle of the factory recommended inclination angle, -1.2*, should put your rear camber at ~ -1.7* and fender roll-to-ground distance at 26 3/4" to 27". If the rear fender roll is less than 26" from the ground, your suspension is below the factory recommended specs. If the car has UPD rear camber arms I will modify my comments but with caveats. Suspension mods depend upon if you want a part-time canyon carver, full-up track car, or a boulevard cruiser. *If* the car has UPD rear control arms, you can still raise the car and bring the rear camber back into the factory recommended range; just keep an eye on the Heim joints on the upper arm. And be careful when raising the car on a lift as the full weight of the wheel/tire/hub assembly is hanging on the UPD rear control arms. The ones I saw/touched hung up on the rear subframe and were subjected to the full weight of everything outboard; I literally returned mine rather than installing them on my car. (The UPD rear toe arms, however, are an awesome purchase and I highly recommend those!)

The car looks great and I hope you get many miles and hours of driving pleasure out of it.

Bottom line: your circus, your monkeys, your money and time.

Enjoy the ride. You have a good looking car of which you can be proud.
I am not sure what you are basing your insight off of, but the two pics with the tire tucked is with the right front jacked all the way up to make sure I had no rub. Otherwise the car had just come off the jacks and had not settled down as stated above those were quick pics after putting the CLS wheels on. Its sits damned near dead level otherwise.

Thanks for the comments though.
Old 10-05-2019 | 09:12 AM

A couple pics with the Stance wheels. Sold them to a forum member.
Old 10-05-2019 | 09:31 AM

My painter got my rear decklid spoiler painted and I was able to get it installed last night, as well as my new 3rd brake lamp and LED license plate lights. Finally got an open spot in the weather and drove it with the new tires and wheels and could not be happier.

Couple pics, bbirdwell you can see that it sit level.

Headed to Houston tomorrow to snag a newer 911, pretty excited about this one.
Old 10-06-2019 | 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I see what you mean about the stance wheels. not a good fit for the bodystyle.
Old 10-06-2019 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by b16gsr
A couple pics with the Stance wheels. Sold them to a forum member.

😊😊😊😊
Old 10-07-2019 | 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I see what you mean about the stance wheels. not a good fit for the bodystyle.
I think its a good look and fit, just was not my the look I was after.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait

😊😊😊😊
Looks so great on your car.