Sponsored by:

rwhp/tq wrt mod levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 AMG
rwhp/tq wrt mod levels

Are bolt on mods just leveling the playing field so to speak? Some cars are producing great stock numbers yet as the mods get added the gains seem to be flattening out, making them comparable with lower hp examples that have also been modded to the same level. I don't remember seeing a high hp stock car making stupid numbers (post mods) because it was a great stock car.

As you increase the mod level is the range in which we can expect our cars to perform getting smaller? Is a k2 (or similar) going to net 450-500hp and a K3 going to put you in the 500-530 range? Are there many K3s out there putting down low numbers? It seems amongst us there is certainly data showing a large hp range with the K2 that gets much smaller as you go to K3. There isn't a linear hp response to mods being fitted but what I do think is happening is as you reach the higher levels our numbers are becoming similar.

I'd like to know from those of you who have gone past 500 rwhp on a pulley, ECU, headers and T/B if your stock numbers were high (420-440) to start with? I'd also like to hear from those of you who are not making 500hp, were your stock numbers low?

If it can be shown that there is a flattening hp curve, can it then be said that the 50 to 60 rwhp range in stock performance is down to differences between the components that are being removed?

I would maybe like to collect the data and study it and share it with you to see if there is a pattern. Of course there are differences in dyno calibration and aftermarket parts, cooling, etc. but maybe there would be enough data points that it could show those who have low performing aftermarket products that there is either something wrong, or, upgrading to the next level will put you close to everyone else. It might also show to the higher output stock car owners that upgrading isn't necessarily going to reap unusually high numbers.

Either way I'll know if I should feel envious every time I see "great stock numbers" or "you've a healthy beast"
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
You have a lot of questions and I'm not sure that you are going to find the answers that you are looking for.

In general "low and high baseline" cars will respond in a linear fashion to each additional modification(ECU,SC belt,headers,TB,etc). In the end, I do not know how much a baseline hp affects the final power rating.

I will tell you that even "high baseline" cars can benefit significantly from engine modifications. No stock E55 can match the power of a stage II+ car.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
My theory is - that the true range of Hp and Tq figures is probably quite small (maybe less than 5 %). Remember these cars are all hand assembled and pre-tested (I dont know if they are actually dyno'd for output ) by AMG. The parts are computer designed and computer/machine produced to very tight tolerances which limits variability.

I suspect the variation is more likely to be related to the different dyno machines that are used for posting the figures each member quotes.
If the dyno machines accuracy is +/- 5% then thats 25Hp already. In addition the numbers generated are then "corrected" for ambient conditions and corrected for transmission/drive line losses - more sources of error.

Perhaps someone with technical knowledge of dyno machines can chime in?