W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Intercooler Upgrade - SLR style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Intercooler Upgrade - SLR style

Finally, my IC heating issues are resolved. In my dreams . . . .

Last edited by komp55; 07-20-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2007 | 11:18 PM
Banned

German
I think RennTech sells topmount intercoolers for $15k+
Old 01-28-2007 | 11:53 PM

05E55
That filter setup is exactly what I wanted to do. I guess it is possible.
Old 01-28-2007 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by L8Apex
That filter setup is exactly what I wanted to do. I guess it is possible.
i don't trust those cheap foam filters on my twin motorcycle, let alone a f/i v8!
Old 01-29-2007 | 12:11 AM

05E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't trust those cheap foam filters on my twin motorcycle, let alone a f/i v8!
I was referring to the position of the filter, not the filter itself.

However, I was actually considering an ITG (yes foam) panel in the same position.
Old 01-29-2007 | 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
I think thats a bad place for the filter. The base of the windscreen, aerodynamically, is a low or negative pressure area. Theoretically the airflow is poor and could affect performance. Certainly, there wouldn't be any ram effect at high speed.
Old 01-29-2007 | 07:50 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
that is the RENNTECH I/C set up, and that is an HKS air filter that comes with the SLR style I/C kit, that car was done at DYNOCOMP in Scottsdale, AZ. That car belongs to Ray Durham of the SF Giants. the car also has an ugly hood scoop that takes the air in, but was not pictured in the photo shoot for obivious reasons.

Last edited by MNG; 01-29-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2007 | 11:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by OzE55
I think thats a bad place for the filter. The base of the windscreen, aerodynamically, is a low or negative pressure area. Theoretically the airflow is poor and could affect performance. Certainly, there wouldn't be any ram effect at high speed.
The cowl is an area of high pressure. Good spot.
Old 01-29-2007 | 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

W221
I'm sure our heating issue would be solved if we had this...
Old 01-29-2007 | 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I'm sure our heating issue would be solved if we had this...
my marriage would be dis-solved if I had that
Old 01-29-2007 | 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by psk145
my marriage would be dis-solved if I had that
X2
Old 01-29-2007 | 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
why not have someone custom make something like that? Wouldn't it be more affordable. I have a friend with a Turbocharged C36, he special ordered a top mount intercooling system for his engine, it was somewhat 1600 bucks. For us let's say double that...now compared to 15K i'd say that is a great bargain...
Old 01-29-2007 | 04:28 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Since you guys opened this up for discussion, I'll throw it out there...

That pic is from the article in ML&E.. Those are Renntech's version of an SLR style intercooler setup...

Renntech is selling that setup from anywhere between $18K - $22K USD.. I've heard different numbers within that ballpark but that is the range.

The main issue is that the cores that Renntech uses are not very good... The cores are tiny and have very bad flow. Let's just say that these units were hacked open and the cores were replaced with some much better flowing and LARGER spearco units...

Also, their air induction "solution" for this setup is horrible (slapping an HKS filter back there is nuts!!!!)... Why do you think they had to eventually put a cold air scoop on the hood of that SL55 and hack open the top of the hood??? They should have come up with a better solution for the kind of scratch they are asking for this setup.

We have been working on this project for a while and a few different people are involved in making this happen.. This is the holy grail for cooling systems on the 55K motors.

Let's just say I can make a system available just "like" the one in the picture for under $10K... How much under depends on how many guys we have on board.

If you guys really are interested in something like this, speak up and if we can get another R&D group going just like the Airbox one I can make this happen.. Everyone would have to poney up some deposit money but you can expect a solution that is BETTER than the one in the pic above for under $10K.

The efficiency of a setup like this will greatly increase power. The 4 - 5psi of boost drop we get going through our stock setup will be mostly recovered by using something like this.

So... Who's first??
Old 01-29-2007 | 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
I've been waiting for this one and am definitely in provided it will fit an SL55.

Originally Posted by vrus

If you guys really are interested in something like this, speak up and if we can get another R&D group going just like the Airbox one I can make this happen.. Everyone would have to poney up some deposit money but you can expect a solution that is BETTER than the one in the pic above for under $10K.

The efficiency of a setup like this will greatly increase power. The 4 - 5psi of boost drop we get going through our stock setup will be mostly recovered by using something like this.

So... Who's first??

Last edited by jmf003; 01-29-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2007 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey V, have you confimed yet whether we need the new supercharger for the SLR cooler setup? I know that was the big hurdle that made most of us walk away when exploring this on our own.

If your coolers are anything like the airbox.....this is gonna be scary good!!!

J
Old 01-29-2007 | 06:29 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Of course they will.. All the 55K's will be able to use them otherwise I wouldnt bother.

Originally Posted by jmf003
I've been waiting for this one and am definitely in provided it will fit an SL55.
The issue with the SLR supercharger was that I wanted to get their style of S/C OUTLET which only was available for purchase if you bought the S/C ($11,000 worth )... This is not needed because this application uses a style of outlet similar to the stock setup, minus the core which is present on the stock system, and it has air baffles which direct flow and minimize turbulence.

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey V, have you confimed yet whether we need the new supercharger for the SLR cooler setup? I know that was the big hurdle that made most of us walk away when exploring this on our own.

If your coolers are anything like the airbox.....this is gonna be scary good!!!

J
Old 01-29-2007 | 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Not interested at all, that setup is just ugly, and I rather kill myself but to put a scoop on my hood. Hood scoops belong to Subaru's only.
Old 01-29-2007 | 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.

That pic is from the article in ML&E.. Those are Renntech's version of an SLR style intercooler setup...

Renntech is selling that setup from anywhere between $18K - $22K USD.. I've heard different numbers within that ballpark but that is the range.

The main issue is that the cores that Renntech uses are not very good... The cores are tiny and have very bad flow. Let's just say that these units were hacked open and the cores were replaced with some much better flowing and LARGER spearco units...

Also, their air induction "solution" for this setup is horrible (slapping an HKS filter back there is nuts!!!!)... Why do you think they had to eventually put a cold air scoop on the hood of that SL55 and hack open the top of the hood??? They should have come up with a better solution for the kind of scratch they are asking for this setup.

We have been working on this project for a while and a few different people are involved in making this happen.. This is the holy grail for cooling systems on the 55K motors.

Let's just say I can make a system available just "like" the one in the picture for under $10K... How much under depends on how many guys we have on board.

So... Who's first??

OK Vic, I'm in again...

Everything else Vic has done... has been good...

MachC5
Old 01-30-2007 | 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
The cowl is an area of high pressure. Good spot.

Not necessarily. See this article - these guys are geniuses http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1023
Old 01-30-2007 | 11:41 AM

2012 GL350

The main issue is that the cores that Renntech uses are not very good... The cores are tiny and have very bad flow.
So how do you know this???
Old 01-30-2007 | 12:03 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Now, we have our answer on why Renntech SLR-style coolers are not making as much power as they should.

Look at that HKS (replica?) filter. This is what suffocates this setup.

These foam filters do not flow very well. Many years ago we used pull them off Greddy twin turbo kit for TT Supras and with simple set of K&N cone filters would pick up easy 40RWHP.

On SLR the intake goes forward and picks up air from the huge rectangular filter from the front MB star. On 55s there is no room to run similar setup.

New hood, with 3-4'' added hump in the middle, would be needed to create a proper air box.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
slr-1.bmp (1.09 MB, 267 views)
Old 01-30-2007 | 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Now, we have our answer on why Renntech SLR-style coolers are not making as much power as they should.

Look at that HKS (replica?) filter. This is what suffocates this setup.

These foam filters do not flow very well. Many years ago we used pull them off Greddy twin turbo kit for TT Supras and with simple set of K&N cone filters would pick up easy 40RWHP.

On SLR the intake goes forward and picks up air from the huge rectangular filter from the front MB star. On 55s there is no room to run similar setup.

New hood, with 3-4'' added hump in the middle, would be needed to create a proper air box.
I guess what you're trying to say is that in order to get a proper airbox to fit, we have to make the car look butt-ugly.
Old 01-30-2007 | 12:45 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
I guess what you're trying to say is that in order to get a proper airbox to fit, we have to make the car look butt-ugly
Sadly, yes. There is no room to make it happen cleanly.

Victor, this is the same problem you will run into trying to make the SLR coolers work properly.
Old 01-30-2007 | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by OzE55
Not necessarily. See this article - these guys are geniuses http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1023
Geniuses? Hardly. If these guys had applied their new-found knowledge from the engine air intake, they would have found the cowl area pressure. All that was needed was to cover the vents with some of their high-quality masking tape to see that the pressure was bleeding off through the vents. The airflow over a car doesn't follow the contours of the car very closely. There is actually a void in the cowl area as the air flows above it. This void and the airflow above it cause a vortex to form, which is the genesis of the higher pressure. (Visualize a large wave breaking near a beach, which forms a so-called pipeline.) The point they measured on the windshield is where the vortex begins to form and is lower in pressure than at the cowl. Just because you see it on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it's factual. Let the reader beware.
Old 01-30-2007 | 04:12 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I am so glad you asked.. Let me provide a little more detail for you and the rest of the people reading...

Renntech sells this kit for $16K USD wholesale, $22K Retail (from the info I have). For this money you get Left & Right cooler, modified S/C outlet manifold, 1 HKS filter. THAT'S IT.. They dont even provide a new pump. Now, someone who is putting this on a car with a stock pump will not be happy to find out that they dont even get an upgraded pump for their $22K -- Not the proper way to build a supposed high end kit.

Oh yeah.. On that Renntech Stage 6 car that was in the magazine that had these coolers, they quoted that the car was pushing 620hp.. A little strange I found when Kleemann K4 is right around 620hp. Anyways, this will make more sense when you read further down.

Ok.. now that the pricing and kit contents have been discussed, let's get on to the nitty-gritty.

We slap these things onto a car and do a dyno pull... +25hp.. That's it... +0.5psi of boost (yes. you read that right.. 1/2 pound of boost is all that was recovered according to trusty boost gauge).. We know the stock setup conjests the motor and we loose 5psi, so we were expecting to recoup most of that... NOT THE CASE.

Now we are scratching our heads wondering what the hell is going on.. So, what do you do when you spend $22,000 and you get +25hp (That's just under $1,000 per pony.. not too good) and you just finished tearing apart half your car to install it????

Well, obviously, you take a cutter to them and chop them open to see what is going on in there... My friend had the cores flowed and also had the S/C outlet flowed before cutting them open. The outlet piece was inadequately shaped and didnt provide optimal flow.. This is clearly evident with a petty +25hp dyno reading. My friend was in shock.. When he told me I just laughed.. (Sorry buddy.. Didnt mean to laugh, but I couldnt help it). We were expecting 50hp - 60hp.

For this kit to work properly, the S/C outlet needed to be reworked with proper air vanes and altered shape. As well, the cores on the intake manifolds were small and needed to be replaced with larger units.

I cant believe stuff like this makes it to market... How do you justify charging this kind of money and having this level of quality?? Its almost like they didnt know what to do about the airfilter so someone sitting at a desk said "I know.. lets throw in one of those HKS filter thingies and call it a day.".. LOL..

This all makes sense because I heard that inside info says Renntech is in the process of redesigning this kit... Gee.. You think?

Someone fell asleep at the R&D wheel.. Seriously.

Originally Posted by goalie_k
So how do you know this???

Last edited by vrus; 01-30-2007 at 04:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Upgrade - SLR style