Sponsored by:

Stock vs. mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Question Stock vs. mods?

Do you guys feel its worth getting ECU and pulley upgrades for strictly street use? Does it really make that big a difference with street tires and the infrequent stop light race? What about the risk of losing your extended warranty? I just bought an extended warranty from Mercury and I'd hate to blow my engine after a pulley upgrade just to be told it wasn't covered.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
I guess it depends on how the car ran to begin with. My '06 dyno'd at 435 RWHP!!! but gained almost nothing from a K-1 pulley (no software). I didn't do the ECU because the car is still rich and Cory confirmed that it would be before the pulley went on, and it would not gain much, if anything, from software. Now it may have picked up a step since the install, but I haven't had it back on a dyno. As far as warranty, I doubt you'd ever have a problem with anybody's stage 1 setup, but yes, warranty is an issue unless a MB dealer did the mod. Even then, MB themselves and the warranty company you bought from wouldn't be there to help, it would be an issue between you and said dealership. I guess we'll know for sure if/when a Renn or K car blows. Until then, it's really a crap shoot. Everyone says "not to worry" until a 40K+ repair bill is staring you in the face.