Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Customer Service reality check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
You need to contact Hartmut Feyhl, Owner of RennTech http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

His email is HartmutF@RenntechMercedes.com:thumbsup:
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Sorry to hear this Jangy. Hope nothing major is damaged. Things happen when you modify a car exceeds factory spec. But don't let this discourage you from modding tho

I won't. I am hooked now, so there is no turning back. I hope it will be with RennTech, but we'll see.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Dawson AMG
You need to contact Hartmut Feyhl, Owner of RennTech http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

His email is HartmutF@RenntechMercedes.com:thumbsup:
It isn't my job to play customer service or to beg for it. He knows we are having issues and he hasn't stepped up. At this point, getting the stage 1 figured is a no-brainer. It will happen between Creative and or RennTech as that is a legal obligation. This is more of a test for me to see how each entity treats a seemingly horrible situation. Creative has stepped up. The effort alone is all I wanted, so I can't complain. James is doing things my way no less, so I can't even complain about that. RennTech on the other hand has made no effort to show us that they are appreciative of the cash we paid. It may be small $$ to them, but as we all know money for mods only gets bigger. If they ignore us when we have so much more to get done, why would I think that they will be there for us when we get the stage 5 done?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Don't know about what the Renntech instructions (if any) say, but the factory service manual for the W211 E55 clearly states the bolt must be replaced. Not to beat a dead horse, but it's obvious the installer didn't know the correct procedure for doing an R&R of the crank pulley. Tuning companies assume their products will be installed by competent mechanics. Granted, it may not always be a valid assumption, but it's the reason that they don't always include all of the little bits and pieces like fasteners to do the job right; they assume the mechanic/installer has the appropriate skill set and knowledge and will know to do this.

Of course, the flip side is that for the price Renntech charges for their $125 in materials and labor pulley, you'd think they would include a new crank bolt with the pulley. It's not like it would undermine their net profit margin on the product or anything.

I would like to see that manual because the WIS does not mention anything about a new bolt, unless i missed it. I have the wis available in pdf if anyone is interested.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Can those that have pulleys installed please chime in on if theirs was installed with a new bolt? I want to know what RENNTech's policy is on that.

I don't care that an MB Tech would "know better". This is a mod. You have either been trained or not.

I am not trying to lay blame. Read my earlier posts for clarification. i want action, not retrospective blaming. Why can't RennTech and Creative just fix the issue and then get into blaming one another?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
I would like to see that manual because the WIS does not mention anything about a new bolt, unless i missed it. I have the wis available in pdf if anyone is interested.

I am very interested. Please PM me with details on letting me borrow it??
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by cte430
It's the Moss-Magnuson act and I'm quite familiar with it. It's as you described - the dealer has the burden to prove that the mod caused the failure. You were lucky with your hummer dealer. It's not unheard of that consumers are forced to sue the dealer or some other type of mediation. Most dealers are not going to say "Oh, you mentioned Moss-Mag., let's just fix this for you". All while your car sits there waiting for the details to be sorted out. - Porsche dealers are some of the best at this.

In my case I felt it was easier to just pay for the brake job.
thats the name moss-magnuson. i dont think i was so lucky i think my installer just knew his stuff. but i agree with you if it just brakes pay and be done but i sure wasnt gonna pay for a tranny plus install.
JANGY any updates on the next step with your car?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by rflow306
See Step 5. Not sure how the procedure could be written more clearly. If Jangy's and the others bolts weren't replaced, it was because of installer negligence.

Last edited by komp55; 07-20-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Even if a new bolt was not used there is no way in hell a properly torqued old bolt (200 Nm + 90 degrees is TIGHT!!!!) would fall out or even loosen in 12 hours.

Having said that I guess you could place the "blame" on the installer. But mistakes DO happen...I would know since I work on cars 5 days a week. My only advice would to be PATIENT and work with Creative on finding fix for the mistake. :2cents:
Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by kompressed55
See Step 5. Not sure how the procedure could be written more clearly. If Jangy's and the others bolts weren't replaced, it was because of installer negligence.
Thanks, my WIS is definitely a different version. My version is probably 2003/2004.

Last edited by rflow306; 01-31-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Glassjaw
Even if a new bolt was not used there is no way in hell a properly torqued old bolt (200 Nm + 90 degrees is TIGHT!!!!) would fall out or even loosen in 12 hours.

Having said that I guess you could place the "blame" on the installer. But mistakes DO happen...I would know since I work on cars 5 days a week. My only advice would to be PATIENT and work with Creative on finding fix for the mistake. :2cents:
I agree, even-though i put a new bolt when i did the asp on my car just to be safe.
If the bolt is a M16 x 1.50 12.9 fine thread then the chart shows the maximum recommended torque. It's close to 221 ft-lb's.

http://www.fullermetric.com/technica...ue_figures.htm
Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
thats the name moss-magnuson. i dont think i was so lucky i think my installer just knew his stuff. but i agree with you if it just brakes pay and be done but i sure wasnt gonna pay for a tranny plus install.
JANGY any updates on the next step with your car?
RennTech and Creative are jointly attempting to repair all of the issues on Monday. Wish us well.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Glassjaw

Thanks John, and i agree. i watched Creative hit the spec and add the 90 degrees.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
thats good bro i bet monday seems far away. i realy do wish you well!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
thats good bro i bet monday seems far away. i realy do wish you well!
Actually, it ain't that bad. I am planning on modding the crap out of this car, so a few days down time is simply par for the course. I'll get it right with or without RennTech's help. This beast will push the power I want and handle like I want too. It just takes time.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
Actually, it ain't that bad. I am planning on modding the crap out of this car, so a few days down time is simply par for the course. I'll get it right with or without RennTech's help. This beast will push the power I want and handle like I want too. It just takes time.
Patience is a virtue.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
It isn't my job to play customer service or to beg for it. He knows we are having issues and he hasn't stepped up. At this point, getting the stage 1 figured is a no-brainer. It will happen between Creative and or RennTech as that is a legal obligation. This is more of a test for me to see how each entity treats a seemingly horrible situation. Creative has stepped up. The effort alone is all I wanted, so I can't complain. James is doing things my way no less, so I can't even complain about that. RennTech on the other hand has made no effort to show us that they are appreciative of the cash we paid. It may be small $$ to them, but as we all know money for mods only gets bigger. If they ignore us when we have so much more to get done, why would I think that they will be there for us when we get the stage 5 done?
James is a real nice guy, Renntech is a good company and i am sure your issue will be resolved real soon.

One thing i must add from personal experiece in my life, never be satisfied with an effort if it shows no results. Sometimes people try and just do not try hard enough to push it to the edge. Do not settle on anything until you are happy and the issue is fixed.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
Patience is a virtue.
We also need to stay united. I'm glad to have the SDCrew's trust and support. It gives me leverage over the tuner.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
James is a real nice guy, Renntech is a good company and i am sure your issue will be resolved real soon.

One thing i must add from personal experiece in my life, never be satisfied with an effort if it shows no results. Sometimes people try and just do not try hard enough to push it to the edge. Do not settle on anything until you are happy and the issue is fixed.
Very true. that is why i am trying to push Renn to go the extra mile. We will make it worth it to them later, but how do they know that?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Very true. that is why i am trying to push Renn to go the extra mile. We will make it worth it to them later, but how do they know that?
I think they will because in the sense of doing business, a happy customer goes a long way.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I think they will because in the sense of doing business, a happy customer goes a long way.
EXACTLY.....!

A happy customer has a tend to open his wallet even if the price is not the cheapest,its the way you get treated is the key.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I agree, but here I am biatching about how I am being treated. So it is a tough pill for RENN to swallow. Listening to me moan and offering me any incentive to remain loyal.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM

08 E63
Glad they are stepping up. I still plan on doing some modifications. I think cosmetic first but I will make some performance changes.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks Neal for the kinds words.

Just to clarify a few things, we have been working very closely with both RENNtech and the SDcrew to resolve this issue. It appears that with Jeff, jay, and charles they are facing a software issue where they are lacking bottom end. For this solution RENNtech has offered to fly out to SD to test a few different files in person to make sure that the correct files are placed on these 55's.

Since day 1, I feel that we have been working very closely with all party involved to resolve the current situation as well as making sure that they walk away satisfied. Including double checking all the parties bolts to make sure that they we're installed correctly, both in the key as well as torqued correctly.

No new bolt has or was required, however from this point forward that will be the case.

We (Renntech and I) both dont feel that the issue was a pulley or a bolt issue. However the bolt did back out of a 145ft-lb torque. which equates to 200nm. After the bolt is torqued by our Snap-On torque wrench the bolt is then streched an additional 90 degree's. Both of which Jangy can attest to watching have happened.

Now we can all play the blame game, and honestly I dont care, we did the install, ultimately its on my shoulders regardless of who installed it here, because it in fact, got installed here.

From this point forward, RENN would prefer that I personally look over all RENNtech installs which of course I have no issue doing.

Now the question is what is RENNtech and Creative Autoworks doing to fix this issue?

New bolts have been sitting on my desk awaiting installation. Jangy's belt has also been sitting on my desk since tuesday. Once he has the time, we will have him taken care of.

RENNtech is flying out to SD on monday to resolve the software issue, and we will double, triple checking the pulley's to make for certain this issue will not raise again.

I hope that most if not all of the SD Crew feels that we are doing everything possible to put them at ease, and let them know, that they will have a shop for life who cares not only about there vehicles but also them individually.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
James,
I was planning on keeping quiet, since I didn't see my posts as being productive for either side. I have stated from day 1 that Creative has stepped up. I can also appreciate that Renntech is "willing" to fly out to fix their ECU issue. However, I am still lost as to where the SDCrew gets compensated in any way for the crap we have been through, eventhough we were the ones that ponied up the $$ and committed to RennTech.
At the end of this, RennTech will gain by having worked out the kinks (hopefully) on the ECU programming, which they will use to help their relations with their other clients. What exactly does the SDCrew gain from all of this down time? I do have a relationship with you and I have been more than happy to work with you because you do take care of us. However, I am very hesitant to consider this issue as addressed when it hasn't been from RennTech's end. That is where customer SERVICE comes in, not simply customer obligation. It is simply a lesson learned for me. I will learn to shut up and see how the other party reacts. If I don't like it, I will move on. That is no threat to you, as I do not wish to cut ties with Creative, however, I will reconsider having any RennTech products on my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuner Customer Service reality check