W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought Evo's were supposed to be fast..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by vader
So what will an EVO do in the 1/4 against an E55 ? Who wins..stock v stock
they'll rape you at the start (if they're willing to drop the clutch) but the evo will get caught well before the 1/4mile mark.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Cool..my 8 y.o. son came home and told me his little friends big brother said he had a Lancer EVO and told my son they are faster than an E55...I didnt even know what a Lancer was.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on the weather
Originally Posted by AMG_55
5th gear on your car is 158++
did you really go that fast to be able to get into 5th after redlining 4th

No, I had 6+ car lengths on him long before redlining 4th. I was watching the road but I don't think I was doing over 120 when it shifted into 5th. I had already let off after the short wicked burst.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by chiromikey
they'll rape you at the start (if they're willing to drop the clutch) but the evo will get caught well before the 1/4mile mark.

I disagree on the "rape" part.

I've run 1.7 short times in my E55 on stock Contis. Many other E55 owners have run 1.7x on street tires. A well driven Evo will probaby run 1.6 shorts on street tires, so it may nudge ahead until the 60' lights, after that it's over.

I'd argue that it's easier to run a 1.7x in an E55 than it is to run a 1.6x in an Evo, too
Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
Evos are fast when properly modded, now to have a fair run with e55's on the highway they'd have to be well modded. My past evo (fully modded and tuned by Road Race Engineering) I sold was making around 425whp on pump gas (91 octane) with minimal torque (if I remember right, something like 340 ft/lbs to the wheels), even then it's a hard run agains t a stock e55 on the fwy due to the torque difference and the loss of awd advantage on hwy. But if I had some 100+ octane in the car, it'd be a total different story....I remember having 110 octane in the car and drove it when it was making roughly 560whp and just a simple pull in 3rd scared the living bejesus out of me. They're 2 seperate cars for different purposes obviously and shouldn't be compared on highways...yeah evos are fast in different aspects (aka rally and on the track) but e55's a luxury cruiser that's got grunt. With all the simple and overpriced mods e55 stage packages being offered now, I really dream of the day I can go back to RRE with my benz and get the car tuned by my buddy Scot and worked on by people I trust.....the latest posts from Jangy @ Creative just made me shake my head and give up on modding the benz....slightly off topic but yeah, evos are fast and they're meant to be modded (fully, unlike the e55 with its simple stage upgrades).
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on the weather
Originally Posted by tama_mog
Evos are fast when properly modded, now to have a fair run with e55's on the highway they'd have to be well modded. My past evo (fully modded and tuned by Road Race Engineering) I sold was making around 425whp on pump gas (91 octane) with minimal torque (if I remember right, something like 340 ft/lbs to the wheels), even then it's a hard run agains t a stock e55 on the fwy due to the torque difference and the loss of awd advantage on hwy. But if I had some 100+ octane in the car, it'd be a total different story....I remember having 110 octane in the car and drove it when it was making roughly 560whp and just a simple pull in 3rd scared the living bejesus out of me. They're 2 seperate cars for different purposes obviously and shouldn't be compared on highways...yeah evos are fast in different aspects (aka rally and on the track) but e55's a luxury cruiser that's got grunt. With all the simple and overpriced mods e55 stage packages being offered now, I really dream of the day I can go back to RRE with my benz and get the car tuned by my buddy Scot and worked on by people I trust.....the latest posts from Jangy @ Creative just made me shake my head and give up on modding the benz....slightly off topic but yeah, evos are fast and they're meant to be modded (fully, unlike the e55 with its simple stage upgrades).
The funny part of what happened was that the driver of the EVO instigated it. He saw a black mercedes coming up on him and wanted to show the old fart(me) that I was totally outclassed by his cars speed.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Evo's are no joke. They dont stand a chance against a E55 in stock form but I know theres quite a few MONSTER Evo's in this area. My friend had a 10s Evo and that thing was crazy fast when it was in boost (small window) and it was LOUDDDD!!!!!!!!! And they are relatively cheap to mod too. I considered getting an Evo but theres just too many of them around here. Every kid racer has one. Still very nice cars though!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by WayneE
I disagree on the "rape" part.

I've run 1.7 short times in my E55 on stock Contis. Many other E55 owners have run 1.7x on street tires. A well driven Evo will probaby run 1.6 shorts on street tires, so it may nudge ahead until the 60' lights, after that it's over.

I'd argue that it's easier to run a 1.7x in an E55 than it is to run a 1.6x in an Evo, too
yes, i've seen and run high 1.7 60ft times in stock e55's on street tires but the norm is 1.8-2. i've seen stock evos run 1.5x if (like i said) they're willing to drop the clutch...and .3 seconds by the .60ft mark is getting raped in my book.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by chiromikey
yes, i've seen and run high 1.7 60ft times in stock e55's on street tires but the norm is 1.8-2. i've seen stock evos run 1.5x if (like i said) they're willing to drop the clutch...and .3 seconds by the .60ft mark is getting raped in my book.

I stand corrected. I have never seen a stock Evo run 1.5x short times, but I guess they're out there.

I still think my statement regarding launching an E55 vs. Evo is correct