Track Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Track Q's

Getting car prepped for some summer fun!

Any idea of what I will need to do to reinforce the car for the track?

Tried to search this site and the search option is down.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
What kind of track?

I assume you mean 1/4 mile? Or maybe you are talking about the fun ones.

Either way, the main thing I'd recommend is making sure you have the rear end supported well. I don't know if you went with the RENNTech toe links or even some custom ones, but they are a must-have with increased power, LSD, and sticky tires.
Tires is the next thing. Set yourself up well, as tires trully do matter.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
A helmet, get a nice pretty pink one!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
What kind of track?

I assume you mean 1/4 mile? Or maybe you are talking about the fun ones.

Either way, the main thing I'd recommend is making sure you have the rear end supported well. I don't know if you went with the RENNTech toe links or even some custom ones, but they are a must-have with increased power, LSD, and sticky tires.
Tires is the next thing. Set yourself up well, as tires trully do matter.
The fun type of track. I know it will destroy my car with all the TQ I have if I don't reinforce it. Got the tires and LSD. Shelle has inspired me with her recent track visit.

Can you explain the toe links to me? I was told that I need to get stronger bolts for the front and back? This is all new to me. Someone mentioned arms to me?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
A helmet, get a nice pretty pink one!
I am with you on the pink helmet my friend. Not so sure I would earn respect on the track though? The princess part is to throw them off. LOL

I went to HRE last week and they actually had a set of pink wheels they were doing.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hi girl, suspension is my thing so let me know what you need.

Imagine looking at the car from the rear. When you punch it, the LSD splits the power to each wheel, which puts the power down. Assuming you have maxed out power and traction, then your setup must deal with a wider transition range than it did before. So, again, looking at the car from the rear at static (no power). All the tension should be neutral. Once you punch it, that power gets transmitted to the wheels. Since each wheel is tied to the center diff, the force put down is rotational (on a horizontal plane). It is counter clockwise for the driver side and clockwise for the passenger side. This force, along with any flex in your setup makes the fronts of your rear wheels to tend to "toe out". This distortion in geometry stresses your arms.

To alleviate all this, there are arms that are designed to stabilize your setup. Unfortunately, the OEM ones are flimsy (at best). They are hollow and weak. RennTech makes an upgraded one, but I do not know how well they perform. Making a custom set would be very easy (as VRUS is finding out).

The downside to stiffer components is that more road noise will get transmitted to the cabin (not a worry for me). Also, depending on the joint used, you will need to lube it from time to time. A metal to metal joint will be stiffest, but also loudest and require the most maintenance.

I know my write up makes no sense, so I'll try to get a schematic for you. You are also welcome to borrow my helmet with the optional air box.

Respect doesn't come from being male or female or the color of your helmet.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:16 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Helmet

I don't think your car needs anything other than a check up to make sure your fluids are good, your tires are not too old and their pressure's also within specs. You can make tire pressure changes at the track to suit what you're feeling when on the track. Looks like your car has at TON of mods on it as is.

At this stage driver skill is much more of a factor than hp or other mods. You should have seen CnyCarvin32 run circles around the Porsches and Corvettes.

Other than that, your personal safety is most important. Get the highest quality helmet you can afford ( As an old helmet ad used to say, "Get a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head ), driving shoes that are comfortable, and gloves to match. You can also splurge on a pink driver's suit to go with the helmet.

Once you get the Shelle track bug, and understand what your car's doing, then you may want to make mods based on what you feel you need. Personally, I don't carried away with street car mods, rather put the money toward driving instruction.

Just my .02

Cyrus
Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Getting car prepped for some summer fun!
Car is OK. Work on the driver.....
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Car is OK. Work on the driver.....
Driver is the most important element when going to the track. If its your first time out take it easy and dont be upset if a spec miata flies by
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CyE55
I don't think your car needs anything other than a check up to make sure your fluids are good, your tires are not too old and their pressure's also within specs. You can make tire pressure changes at the track to suit what you're feeling when on the track. Looks like your car has at TON of mods on it as is.

At this stage driver skill is much more of a factor than hp or other mods. You should have seen CnyCarvin32 run circles around the Porsches and Corvettes.

Other than that, your personal safety is most important. Get the highest quality helmet you can afford ( As an old helmet ad used to say, "Get a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head ), driving shoes that are comfortable, and gloves to match. You can also splurge on a pink driver's suit to go with the helmet.

Once you get the Shelle track bug, and understand what your car's doing, then you may want to make mods based on what you feel you need. Personally, I don't carried away with street car mods, rather put the money toward driving instruction.

Just my .02

Cyrus

I agree with everyone about improving my skills. I have a good helmet. BTW guys.. the pink helmet comment was a joke between two friends. You all know that I can hang with the best of you regardless of a helmet color. LOL

I am going to start doing track lessons on a regular basis. I can street race like there is no tomorrow, but that is boring to me now. With all the money I have into this car, it's stupid to not spend a few hundred reinforcing it.

The owner of a school at Willow told me it would destroy my car tracking it without reinforcing it. Evosport told me the same thing with regards to 1/4 miles. If it's cheap it can't hurt.

Jangy,
Thank you for taking time to educate me. I understand the arm part, but what is bolt reinforcement? It it related to the arms? Any other good companies besides Renn?

Vadim,
That cut me deep! j/k..Hope all is well my friend.

Last edited by BENZGal; 02-22-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
In your case, yes bolts can come into play as well. You make enough power to literally sheer bolts out. Also, the "flex" that goes on can put enough stress on a bolt or joint to literally break it. You just have to decide what is financially feasible and have a phase plan. If you plan to 1/4mile it, be ready for broken axles. If you are tracking, be ready for an exploded pumpkin or dead shocks. It is all part of the "fun".
There are two basic extremes to modding for the track. You can either drive the **** out of it and replace broken parts or you can try to plan for every next weak link. Veterans learn not to use expensive cars and go with route A. The rest of us try route B.
Last thing, you will be amazed at how much closer you get your car after a day at the track, so definitely do it. HOWEVER, I highly recommend you be picky with whom you go out. I am pretty picky about that as I had some mishaps in my younger days with the SCCA. They are actually a pretty strict group and yet things do happen. Let me know your plans and I'll try to get the crew to join in. I also have a few Willows and California Speedway events planned. Also consider the AMG challenge. It is an absolute blast, plus it isn't your car!!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Circuit track?

Mods needed:
-1 BMW M6

*runs and hides in corner*
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by newton22
Circuit track?

Mods needed:
-1 BMW M6

*runs and hides in corner*
Nope, after last week I am convinced the Radical is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It sure isn't a luxury cruiser.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I agree with everyone about improving my skills. I have a good helmet. BTW guys.. the pink helmet comment was a joke between two friends. You all know that I can hang with the best of you regardless of a helmet color. LOL

Wait I am painting my helmut and wheels red to match my driving gloves. Is that too much
My goal is to have a real track car. After driving my car on track, doing the AMG challenge and planning for a few more track days this summer I know I will want a true track car before the year is out. It would be nice if AMG had a factor track car offering in the US, like the P- GT-3 (but not the same price tag). This way I could go from the showroom floor straight to the track.....
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
In your case, yes bolts can come into play as well. You make enough power to literally sheer bolts out. Also, the "flex" that goes on can put enough stress on a bolt or joint to literally break it. You just have to decide what is financially feasible and have a phase plan. If you plan to 1/4mile it, be ready for broken axles. If you are tracking, be ready for an exploded pumpkin or dead shocks. It is all part of the "fun".
There are two basic extremes to modding for the track. You can either drive the **** out of it and replace broken parts or you can try to plan for every next weak link. Veterans learn not to use expensive cars and go with route A. The rest of us try route B.
Last thing, you will be amazed at how much closer you get your car after a day at the track, so definitely do it. HOWEVER, I highly recommend you be picky with whom you go out. I am pretty picky about that as I had some mishaps in my younger days with the SCCA. They are actually a pretty strict group and yet things do happen. Let me know your plans and I'll try to get the crew to join in. I also have a few Willows and California Speedway events planned. Also consider the AMG challenge. It is an absolute blast, plus it isn't your car!!

Jangy,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS WRITE UP! I thought about beating up on the 210 until I get better, but that car is a fat pig on the corners, and drives like night and day without the LSD. I want to see if I like it before I invest in a track car. I will email you the track info.

Newton,
I agree with you on the M6. All this started by attending a BMW Palomar canyon run event. I wasn't driving, but I had a blast and forgot how much fun crazy canyon runs are.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ShelleE55
My goal is to have a real track car. After driving my car on track, doing the AMG challenge and planning for a few more track days this summer I know I will want a true track car before the year is out. It would be nice if AMG had a factor track car offering in the US, like the P- GT-3 (but not the same price tag). This way I could go from the showroom floor straight to the track.....
Girl,
Being your friend is going to get expensive. I started this thread so I could send the link to Leon. Perhaps you could save me that step? He was going to check into getting it done when they have my car next week. Helmet color. LMAO...Can you use the same helmet and gloves for a second round of Kart racing?

Jangy,
Shelle is quite the track, canyon and Kart driver. I think we should match you two off. I have my money on Shelle. Go girl!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Girl,
Being your friend is going to get expensive. I started this thread so I could send the link to Leon. Perhaps you could save me that step?
Sure thing we were talking about it last night. Make sure you get the pics over to me as well.

Hey don't start putting money on me. Don't you know I am all talk. Hence the need for bright red gloves helmut and wheels I have to distract and confuse people. Kinda like shock and awe
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure thing we were talking about it last night. Make sure you get the pics over to me as well.

Hey don't start putting money on me. Don't you know I am all talk. Hence the need for bright red gloves helmut and wheels I have to distract and confuse people. Kinda like shock and awe
Thank you! It was dark today so the pics didn't come out well. I am going to try tomorrow.

Nah...I have my money on you girl. I saw the way you drove those Karts. Have a good night.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Hence the need for bright red gloves helmut and wheels I have to distract and confuse people. Kinda like shock and awe
Does Leon know about Helmut?

It would distract me if you showed up with Helmut with bright red gloves. I was just getting to like Leon.

Cyrus
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by CyE55
Does Leon know about Helmut?

It would distract me if you showed up with Helmut with bright red gloves. I was just getting to like Leon.

Cyrus
I was looking at my German male model calendar while typing.....I'm going to the black board now.... helmet helmet helmet

Last edited by ShelleE55; 02-22-2007 at 08:47 PM.