*** Intercooler Project ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Finny
Insignificant... The main radiator won't even know it's their. The fans will activate accordingly.

Been there done that. The words Heat soak are no longer in my vocabulary.
Finny how much improvement in IATs did you get with the extra exchanger and twin pumps?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
Finny how much improvement in IATs did you get with the extra exchanger and twin pumps?
After say two street runs no probs... then the third the s/c would shut down.

With the new setup, run after run after run absolutely no shut down or over heating in any weather condition.

I'm going to add a removable dry ice chiller in the rear for track days only just to insure every thing is chillin.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hmm.. I wonder what could be in these boxes???

Let's have a peek inside...

My, oh my.. What do we have here??? Could they be SLR 722 intercoolers??

These puppies are going to get bolted onto Finny's engine for mockup and they will be examined so we can make our own versions.. Expect some new developments in SLR style intercooling in the near future...

I am also working on a new Carbon Fiber intake system design which will go along with these new style coolers.. Afterall, we gotta finish off a beautiful set of coolers with a beautiful intake to go along with it...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Uh! well! Wow! ugh! I am speechless. Can you set up a paypal link so I can put a deposit on one of these intercoolers today?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Beautiful. Is the design similar to the one from Laminova?

http://www.laminova.se/subStart.asp?...subPageClick=1
Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Nice Victor,
I guess the C/F surge tanks are on the back burner.
Are we still under the hood W/SLR cooler?
Can you check it out berore you ship them to Finny?
Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
These are magic ... dont you just love the powder coated back finish ??

I hope you get them to fit - its going be mighty tight!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
LOL... I will keep a list of interested parties.. Dont want to accept any deposits or money.. It's too early in the game for that... Once we get to the nitty-gritty and we know exactly what its going to take to make them, we'll talk about that.

You are #1 on the list.. Well.. .#3.. Finny & myself occupy #1 & #2 spot.. LOL.

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Uh! well! Wow! ugh! I am speechless. Can you set up a paypal link so I can put a deposit on one of these intercoolers today?
Someone's been doing their homework... Laminova has excellent technology and to be honest someone else passed this information on to me when I was looking at doing the TT project..

We'll know more about the SLR setup once they are hacked open... uggh.. there I said it... I think there will be alot of crying when those beauties are being hacked open...

Originally Posted by BrianS
Beautiful. Is the design similar to the one from Laminova?

http://www.laminova.se/subStart.asp?...ontentID=13&su bPageClick=1
Nope.. Still working out pricing.. If its cost-effective I am going to make them regardless... Although it really depends on the costs of what the CF intake will be for the SLR coolers since I will probably be making a small quantity.. I may have to ditch the other project in favour of this one.. Making this custom CF stuff is not cheap and I've got too much dough tied up already..

Finny's got the coolers in his possession.. They were ordered by and shipped to him since he is the engineering brains... That man (Finny) has got alot of talent and I swear if I had the financial resources to engineer & build a complete new car from scratch, I would lock him in as a partner.. Watch out Pagani and Koennigsegg.... LOL..

We were both sourcing the parts but they were cheaper to buy direct from Europe than me trying to get them into Canada.

We'll know about hood clearance once Finny mocks them up.

More to follow soon..

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Nice Victor,
I guess the C/F surge tanks are on the back burner.
Are we still under the hood W/SLR cooler?
Can you check it out berore you ship them to Finny?
Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Victor...

You know ME too are waiting for good results as I need IC mod soon...so can you put ME down as well

What about bottom mount intercooler the one that DTM uses in conjunction with DTM TB is makes extra 0.2 boost...Are you trynig to achinve something simular but diff way or ???

Originally Posted by Finny
Insignificant... The main radiator won't even know it's their. The fans will activate accordingly.

Been there done that. The words Heat soak are no longer in my vocabulary.
Finny... Can you tell US more about your set UP ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 06-15-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

I know half of you don't seem worried about blocking the stock radiator. Coming from turbo Audi's before this, I can honestly say it's a HUGE issue to block flow to the stock radiators in most cars. I don't know how good the stock engine cooling systems are in Mercedes, but in Audi's.. they were certainly lacking.

In fact, there became a significant tradeoff between IAT's and overall coolant temps. Attempts to block as little as possible of the radiator were made and netted significant differences, especially in street and racetrack driveability (not drag).

What I don't understand is why nobody has tried addressing overall engine temps and underhood temps in an attempt to gain more consistent power? Those of us running a ton of boost would end up removing the heat baffling from the rear of the hood to allow more airflow through the engine compartment. Others went to vented fenders and hoods.

Also of note was the use of baffling to eliminate the gaps between radiators (intercooler, aircon and fluid rad) to increase cooling efficiency especially at speed.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I already have the CLK-DTM inlet with no bypass and the CLK-DTM intercooler sitting in my garage at home..

With the help of a friend of mine, we pulled the top half of my motor off to attempt to install those 2 pieces... On the CLK-DTM inlet, the PCV connection point on the inlet is on the opposite side (its on the passenger side of the inlet vs the driver's side in normal setup).. I guess the Europeans love to be opposite of us.. LOL..

Anyways, once we got the top half off we realized the aluminum pipe connection (you can see what I am talking about by looking at Pic #1 below.. Its the aluminum piece sitting near the back of the firewall.. It has a rubber hose that runs from the aluminum pipe to the driver's side valve cover..) to the inlet wasnt long enough.. I need to increase the length of the 3/8" hose by another 8" or so..

At that point of the night, since it was late, I just installed a new 1piece inlet w/bypass valve and put the original intercooler back on.. I also took the opportunity to install & test a new TB setup so it wasnt a complete waste of time.

It took us 5.5hrs to re/re everything taking our time..

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Victor...

You know ME too are waiting for good results as I new IC mod soon...so can you put ME down as well

What about bottom mount intercooler the one that DTM uses in conjunction with DTM TB is makes extra 0.2 boost...Are you trynig to achinve something simular but diff way or ???

Finny... Can you tell US more about your set UP ???
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I know it might be a problem with the Audis but I have not seen a problem doing this.... In fact with the low temp thermostat that is in my car (thanks to PTE), I have a hard time getting the car to get up to operating temp (80C).. LOL.. I have to actually change the spring in the thermostat so the engine coolant temp will be a bit higher than it is.

On our cars, the engine radiator works just fine.. Its just the crappy intercooler circuit that causes heat soak and power robbing.

I can give you lots of examples of cars that are already running with a similar setup.. But, here is an exaggerated version of the setup.. Below is a pic of the Bin Sulayem E55 w/SLR motor.. Notice the huge Air-to-water heat exchanger that he bolted right in front of the rad.. That thing runs completely to the bottom and blocks almost all of the radiator. In Dubai, I am sure if there was an issue with doing this, they would be the ones to notice it.

Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies
I know half of you don't seem worried about blocking the stock radiator. Coming from turbo Audi's before this, I can honestly say it's a HUGE issue to block flow to the stock radiators in most cars. I don't know how good the stock engine cooling systems are in Mercedes, but in Audi's.. they were certainly lacking.

In fact, there became a significant tradeoff between IAT's and overall coolant temps. Attempts to block as little as possible of the radiator were made and netted significant differences, especially in street and racetrack driveability (not drag).

What I don't understand is why nobody has tried addressing overall engine temps and underhood temps in an attempt to gain more consistent power? Those of us running a ton of boost would end up removing the heat baffling from the rear of the hood to allow more airflow through the engine compartment. Others went to vented fenders and hoods.

Also of note was the use of baffling to eliminate the gaps between radiators (intercooler, aircon and fluid rad) to increase cooling efficiency especially at speed.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R

actually many of us have addressed overall engine temps with a 160* thermostat...although not necessarily on purpose. the only reason to do this is because the intercooler circuit is tied into the engine coolant circuit so this mod is an indirect attempt to control iat's more than it is to lower engine coolant temps. datalogging has proven (to me) that engine coolant temps are absolutely NOTHING to be concerned with...even on modded cars and even though under hood temps do get high, imo they're not really causing a problem compared to the inadequate oem i/c system.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Below is a preliminary pic of what the CF airbox system will sort of look like for the SLR intercooler setup. Those crappy black plastic tubes you see... Well, those will be done in CF!!!

This should make the engine bay look sweet with those nice SLR coolers..

Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the answers guys. I have heard about the issues with 160 degree stats. I used to run a 180 vs 195 in my Audi to get the drop without the issues. Are there any good options for Benz?

As far as the heat exchanger not affecting the rad, then that's great that Mercedes designed a cooling system robust enough to deal with the power... one less thing I'll have to mod in the future.

Specific to intake temp cooling, I'm surprised that more of you haven't also experimented with water injection. Some people used to use autospeed type controllers so they would only come on during load conditions and not burn through a tank of water (usually tapped from the washer fluid unit) to quickly.

Lastly with regard to the "bypass" issue, and the electronic actuator issue, have you considered using a vacuum controlled bypass valve solution?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Did someone say water injection?? This is my setup:

Specific to intake temp cooling, I'm surprised that more of you haven't also experimented with water injection. Some people used to use autospeed type controllers so they would only come on during load conditions and not burn through a tank of water (usually tapped from the washer fluid unit) to quickly.

Lastly with regard to the "bypass" issue, and the electronic actuator issue, have you considered using a vacuum controlled bypass valve solution?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Vic,

I need a pair too!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
You were going to get one whether you wanted it or not.. LOL..

I think Rocket's car is begging for a set of these... Sorry Michael.. I couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Vic,

I need a pair too!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM

2004 SL55
Don't know if this is the correct thread but with the picture of the "new" CF airbox I figured I'd ask it here. VRUS, will phenolic spacers be able to be used with the "new" airbox? I know that in another thread someone who had your current box said that when it was installed they did not need to remove them but if you're starting from scratch again...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
It turns out you can use the Phenolic spacers with the airbox.. all it requires is to trim the rubber gromets that are on the base of the stock bottom portion of the airbox that connect to the surge tanks. By trimming or removing them altogether, it disconnects them from one another and thus allows the surge tanks to be higher or lower.

With the new airbox system for the SLR coolers, they will work also. Right now that project is a long way out.. I am just designing right now.. Until we get the SLR coolers mounted I cant create concrete drawings.

The ones that I had from Evosport separate the surge tanks from the S/C. They are a great product and I really did notice a difference in the temp of the surge tanks with them installed.. In fact, now that I have mine out, the surge tanks are too hot to touch after a drive.. Another great thing about the Evosport ones is that they are simple to install.. You only have to remove the surge tanks to get them in which anyone can do..

BUT.. If you really want to cure the heat transfer problem, its not the optimal place to put them.. The best place would be between the Engine block and the top half of the motor. The only problem with this is that you would have to pull the S/C out if you want to do this. Because of that, its best to install something like this during lets say a Head swap or a TB install..

Putting them in this location will keep the S/C cooler and in turn the IAT.

Because I needed a more complete solution I went out and had a set of Phenolic spacer kits made to solve this problem with the airbox and also to isolate the top half of the motor (S/C and surge tanks) from the bottom half.

Below is a pic to show the location I am talking about..

Tonight I'll post a pic of the actual spacer kit.. I think I am going to include them in all the TB kits from now on.. Might as well install them when you put the TB in.

Originally Posted by 2MnyToys
Don't know if this is the correct thread but with the picture of the "new" CF airbox I figured I'd ask it here. VRUS, will phenolic spacers be able to be used with the "new" airbox? I know that in another thread someone who had your current box said that when it was installed they did not need to remove them but if you're starting from scratch again...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM

2004 SL55
Thanks for the quick response Victor. Looks like I'll have something to do when the snow flies, way too busy enjoying the car now to have it shut down for awhile.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by vrus
You were going to get one whether you wanted it or not.. LOL..

I think Rocket's car is begging for a set of these... Sorry Michael.. I couldn't resist.
bro my car is beggin for alot of things!
saturday when i race that damm sl65 he will win and i will be pissed cuzz i couldnt find 1 single shop to install nitrous for me. everone was so scared to put that on a benz. so scared they even got me scared now.
i think my next plan will be heads if i can talk myself into takin the motor apart.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
bro my car is beggin for alot of things!
saturday when i race that damm sl65 he will win and i will be pissed cuzz i couldnt find 1 single shop to install nitrous for me. everone was so scared to put that on a benz. so scared they even got me scared now.
i think my next plan will be heads if i can talk myself into takin the motor apart.
You are installing nitrous on your beast?
I just don't have the guts to do it....
Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by SleeperX
You are installing nitrous on your beast?
I just don't have the guts to do it....
oh i tryed very hard no one would do it. they seemed so scared im scared now.
i found a shop that does the crazyest things to BMWs discovery-automotive.com they even told me hell no.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
oh i tryed very hard no one would do it. they seemed so scared im scared now.
i found a shop that does the crazyest things to BMWs discovery-automotive.com they even told me hell no.
Tony will talk to you more on the NOS system Michael, dont worry....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Intercooler Project ***