Sponsored by:

WTT: regular W211 chrome grille for black one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211e55
WTT: regular W211 chrome grille for black one

I was wondering if someone wants to trade their black W211 grille for the original one ??

Im going to send mine to be painted along with my side marker to my local bodyshop, but it wont hurt to ask here first ... ...maybe it'll save me a buck or two

let me know
dwitan at yahoo dot com

thanks
Tan
Old 03-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe if you don't like the look afterwards you can swap me for my oem.

no charge I'll pay for shipping
Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'm not sure what you are asking for? The W211 has 2 grills (OEM). The E55 one has a black (shiny) painted back and chrome face. The regular W211 has a silver back and chrome face. Are you asking for the E55 grill? Or one that has been painted? I have a few painted ones laying around. Reality is, the paint chips with time unless you really prep it well. If you are paying to get it painted, be careful with that as you may end up dissapointed.
Consider: painting it yourself. The chrome face pops off fairly easily. I usually re-painted mine once every three months or so. Or just buy one of the black ones from Stealth for $165. It is all black (matte), but it also hold painting better.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:54 PM

S211 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I'm not sure what you are asking for? The W211 has 2 grills (OEM). The E55 one has a black (shiny) painted back and chrome face. The regular W211 has a silver back and chrome face. Are you asking for the E55 grill? Or one that has been painted? I have a few painted ones laying around. Reality is, the paint chips with time unless you really prep it well. If you are paying to get it painted, be careful with that as you may end up dissapointed.
Consider: painting it yourself. The chrome face pops off fairly easily. I usually re-painted mine once every three months or so. Or just buy one of the black ones from Stealth for $165. It is all black (matte), but it also hold painting better.

Jangy
Have you painted the Stealth one yet? I was looking to do that as the matte finish looks a little dull. How does the Stealth one come painted? Is it just plastic with a painted matte finish or is there something else?
I remember a posting you did a while back saying that it looks ok. Any pics?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by Fleebee
Jangy
Have you painted the Stealth one yet? I was looking to do that as the matte finish looks a little dull. How does the Stealth one come painted? Is it just plastic with a painted matte finish or is there something else?
Lee, are you trying to totally black out your beast wagon?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM

S211 AMG
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Lee, are you trying to totally black out your beast wagon?
Sure am. I want to get the rear lights smoked, the turn indicators on theside mirrors and maybe the emblems blacked but I think I'll stop at the chrome trim. I read Quick E55 thread so time ago about the mare it was to get right.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM

S211 AMG
Hey Jangy,

I didn't go down the thread list until it was too late so sorry for the questions you already answered. Too many threads about blacking things...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Sure am. I want to get the rear lights smoked, the turn indicators on theside mirrors and maybe the emblems blacked but I think I'll stop at the chrome trim. I read Quick E55 thread so time ago about the mare it was to get right.
I'm getting the tinted tails as well but keeping the chromed trims around the car, looks like our car are going to look like twins
Old 03-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy
I have not painted it, but it is just ABS plastic (I think). It looks like it may have been powdercoated? The under plastic is almost clear looking. It is permiable enough to hold paint well. A few coats and a clear on top and you should be hot to trot. I will get it and the car back this week, so I can post all the picks you want. I haven't settled on color, since I want it match the rims I go with. I assume I will destroy the first one experimenting and so I will be able to figure out what the best paining process is.
I do like the look, but I don't mind that matte finish.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
I'm getting the tinted tails as well but keeping the chromed trims around the car, looks like our car are going to look like twins

HAHA!! Make it triplettes (sp?). I stopped at the chrome, too. The door panels need to come of to access them. Even then, the internal guts of the doors is a pain. About the only reasonable way would be to tape off the car and have it airbrushed, but I am scared of quality.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM

w211e55
hi Jangy,

yes, Im trying to paint the chrome face grille for my E55. I looked at it today and I figured the chrome face just snap onto the black painted grille frame ....but it's pretty hard to take the chrome face off the frame though ...any advice?

if you have extra blackened painted face...maybe you want to sell it for cheap

I was thinking to get the flat black grill from the stealthauto, but I like matching glossy color better .

let me know
thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by mht_v10
hi Jangy,

yes, Im trying to paint the chrome face grille for my E55. I looked at it today and I figured the chrome face just snap onto the black painted grille frame ....but it's pretty hard to take the chrome face off the frame though ...any advice?

if you have extra blackened painted face...maybe you want to sell it for cheap

I was thinking to get the flat black grill from the stealthauto, but I like matching glossy color better .

let me know
thanks
Here's my advise. It isn't that hard to take it apart. You just use a large flathead to spread the catches and it lifts right out. Start from the outside and come to the center.
If you do not scuff up the chrome, the paint will not hold. It will chip. I do have some that i painted, but i dunno if they are to your liking. I would be willing to trade for your OEM one, since I am now working on one with less slats.
The reason i say get the stealth is because it only costs $165 and is paint friendly. You spray it and clear coa it and should be much better than doing it an OEM one.
Hope that helps.