Sponsored by:

potential "gray area" MB warranty with RT mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 C63S Coupe
potential "gray area" MB warranty with RT mods

I'm still a little paranoid about doing RT stage upgrades to my 06 E55 which has a warranty to 2012. Considering the RT stage one with IC upgrade. Has anyone run into a "gray area" warranty problem with MB where MB tried to blame a problem on extra HP or a pulley/ECU upgrade? Anyone have to fork out cash to fix a problem that MB would not cover under warranty because of aftermarket engine mods like this?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I haven't heard of any issues here on the board with RT mods and warranty issues.... some of the dealers actually install the mods, maybe those are more flexible if there was an issue....
Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
When I had my K2 E55 my dealer tried to tell me that the cracking of my front rotors was a result of the "chip" in my car.

It certainly helps to have a mod friendly dealer and I would suggest to discuss it with yours. However, don't be led into a false sense of security (even if the dealer sells and installs the mods) that if there were a major problem you wouldn't be on the hook. God forbid, if there was any major engine failure they will be calling in a regional tech before being allowed to proceed with such work. Don't expect the tech to be waving RT or Klee's flag. yes, the law says they have to prove the mod caused the failure but don't expect them to just lie down as soon as you say "magnuson-moss act".

Same holds true in the porsche world. Most dealers have no problem with exhausts but mess with the ECU and you are screwed if a problem arises.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
It all comes down to the dealer. If your stealer is not mod friendly, you'll get the response you mentioned on just about everything.

I have heard of a dealer (wink, wink) who told me if I throw a rod, they will put the stock parts back on when the regional rep comes to check it out.

It's all about the stealer.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
It all comes down to the dealer. If your stealer is not mod friendly, you'll get the response you mentioned on just about everything.

I have heard of a dealer (wink, wink) who told me if I throw a rod, they will put the stock parts back on when the regional rep comes to check it out.

It's all about the stealer.
Agreed.Also dont forget reps read these forums as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
i bet if you have a problem renntech will be the ones yellin magnuson-moss or what ever its called, and your dealer will have to prove your mods caused the problem. if they can thats when your renntech warranty will kick in. you are pretty safe. i just had a issue with my tranny on my hummer they tryed to blame my supercharger and the supercharger company said prove it, they couldnt so trhey replaced at the dealers cost.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
My dealer is cool...all but NOS is allowed! But my warranty is up in 2 months. I picked up the first east coast 55 in April-03...can't believe its been 4 years.