Front brake job estimate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
IT can be done but I have yet to see a fail sale method other than turning it off with DAS. Some disconect the pump and others say pull the batt terminals off. But the car has 2 batt's just for that reason and I just dont want to risk it.

The brake issue is just one reason I dont end up tracking my E55. I dont want to pay to get pads swapped out all day long when every other car is a do it yur self kind of job! I did the brake jobs on all my other cars but the E55 was the first time I said oh whatever. I just happened to have 200 lbs of pads and rotors in the trunk of my car when it went in for a service with an envelope with 200 bucks in it. When I got my car back it had new pads and rotors all around and I was missing that 200 buck envelope!
Unplugging the SBC pump is all you need to do for a rotor or pad change. It will store a brake code once you plug it back in that can only be seen with the star diagnostic tool/DAS.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Thanks Rflow...that just removed all the mystery. It shouldn't be much of a task to swap this stuff out safely when necessary.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM

E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
Unplugging the SBC pump is all you need to do for a rotor or pad change. It will store a brake code once you plug it back in that can only be seen with the star diagnostic tool/DAS.
Can you be more specific please?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
People do change their own pads and good for them but I dont choose to do it and that is far from narrow minded. Its a warning to people who dont realize that someone walking past the car or within x feet of the car with a keyless go key in their pocket can prime the pump. How about if you turn the front wheels more than x degrees either way while working and the pump primes? Bye bye fingers.

I didn't mean to insult in any way. the point I was making is that there are people out there that like to do it themselves and can learn to do it safely and correct. that's all. I know it can trigger, and that is why my days of pressing the calipers back and slapping new pads on are done.

I was just saying that there are actually people that are not MB techs that may know enough about these cars to do it and I respect that skill set. That's it.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Almost a Member!

04 E55, 89 MR2 S/C
Wow, is there any DIY threads on changing our brakes? Sounds complicated.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charged55
Wow, is there any DIY threads on changing our brakes? Sounds complicated.
There’s no problem with DIY... the problem is when you DYI with not enough information or the incorrect tools. Even with the correct information if you do not have common cense you can still f&*k it up.

Making a grill cheese sandwich may sound easy for you and me but try letting a 5 year do it with only the information she heard from her younger 4 year old, who saw you do it one time in the past...

You never know who are on these forums reading these DIY tips from people who are self proclaim pros.

I mean really if I did not know better, did not know how to ask the correct questions, and if someone on this board said he never change his rotors... ever just changing pads on his cars, I would be incline to believe him thinking that I could do it to 100 k! But if I really asked, I could potentially find out he only leases his cars, keeps them for less than 5 years, putting only 40 to 50 k on the cars, and does mostly highway driving!

oops doing it again sorry
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
If anybody wants a pdf copy of the wis instructions for changing both the pads and rotors please pm me your email address. The instructions do call for a das but like i said earlier it can be done by unplugging the sbc pump in the passenger side engine compartment.