Sponsored by:

Dying to buy E63, but.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS63 2004 S55
I'm not impressed by the 06 E Nav

I'm yet another techie, but in the end you typically use the nav to get to new/unknown locations. It does the job.

I do like:
-instructions passed to instrument cluster
-distance guage to next turn
-automatic background change when headlights come on.

Wish:
-distance/ETA was displayed on map screen
-more routing options(shortest/fastest)
-more intuitive interface
Old 03-29-2007, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
To the person that said the lexus has the best nav, your wrong. A nav is useless if you can't use it while your driving.

Hands down Acura has the best navigation system in the business.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
just go get an E63 and post up pictures by tonight.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
You dont need navigation to get all those cool thing intergrated into your car. Remember the Command unit is seperate from the navigation.
My 07 ML has NAV and the IPOD kit. I can't however control anything on the ipod w/ the nav system. Only through the steering wheel. I would expect I can traverse through playlists and songs on the nav system. However, you can't even change the song playing w/ it.

Bluetooth, the NAV system has zero integration w/ this. If I find an establishment I'm looking for, I am unable to call them through the NAV w/ my bluetooth phone. I have to type the number into my phone.

Storage. None available.

Other car settings and customization options. None.

Basically this nav system WILL get you from point A to B, but in the end that is about it. Should be a $750 option at this grade in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by termigni
just go get an E63 and post up pictures by tonight.
LOL! Nice. I like your attitude!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
To the person that said the lexus has the best nav, your wrong. A nav is useless if you can't use it while your driving.

Hands down Acura has the best navigation system in the business.
One of the reasons I got rid of my Lexus.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Don't confuse NAV with Comand. Why should any NAV unit integrate with an iPOD? You guys lost me there.
To those that say NAV is not needed, I disagree. In fact, I use mine when I canyon carve. How else am I supposed to know where the hairpins are?

Last thing, the ML has a completely different interface than the E does.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:17 PM

'15 E63S P30
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Hopefully in future Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi & Co. will partner up with technologies companies like Microsoft to offer much better operating systems on their navs.
The day Micro$oft makes an operating system for the Mercedes is the day I stop buying them. I can't imagine getting the blue screen of death when I try to start my car. A nice interface from Apple would be welcome.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by tucsonbroker
The day Micro$oft makes an operating system for the Mercedes is the day I stop buying them. I can't imagine getting the blue screen of death when I try to start my car. A nice interface from Apple would be welcome.
Funny you should say that..........the OS in a 2007 S550 is windows based as is the OS in the new BMW M5. Microsoft is already in our cars!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 PM

'15 E63S P30
Originally Posted by JLP
Funny you should say that..........the OS in a 2007 S550 is windows based as is the OS in the new BMW M5. Microsoft is already in our cars!
Perfect. When I decide to upgrade my 07, I'll opt out on the command system. Maybe by then they will have realized the error of their ways.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Cool Techies bring ZERO

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Ya know, you guys are actually pounding some sense into me. Since I'm a techie...I don't just want the NAV for getting from point A to point B. I want it for it's other capabilites like bluetooth integration, MP3/Ipod integration, storage, other car controls, etc... I have zero issues getting to where I want to go as I have google maps on my blackberry anyway. I just really would like to enjoy all the features a good NAV system can provide.
After many suggestions to satisfy your complaints over the Mercedes/Navteq GPS Navigation in the current E63, seems you just keep changing up your your wish list. As I stated before, and still feel, you are a Lexus guy or maybe Acura. We all realize that the Nav in the Benz could be better, (in our short sighted American way) But the system must be able to operate world wide to a much greater degree, than the Japanese and domestic counterpoints do. NavTeq has the largest world wide map database and is first choice in Europe.

Then come the self proclaimed Techie, more complaining, Reminds me of a girl that doesn't get a pink Lexus SC 430 for her 16th birthday. If you come here to vent fine. But quit with the laundry list of complaints. We have here at MBWorld a wealth of valuable information. With a few clicks you can find out how to get 600 hp. out of your E55, even techie tips like TV and playing DVDs on the NAV screen. So if you truly are techie show us, contribute, take what you don't like and find a fix or solution and bring it. That is what we are here for.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
E63 Nav

Well I didn't do any research but did expect my new $90K loaded out E63 to have a decent NAV system. When I first tried it, I almost immediately concluded it was a piece of sh*t. However, after reading the instructions and working with it some, I find it quite functional. It works!! If you are some of the many out there complaining try reading the instructions...this will eliminate a lot of your frustration.

I have been exposed to the Lexus, Acura, and Honda NAVs. They have more features, bells, etc. and look better but really do the same thing. The voice activated features are there but have a long way to go on those cars.

Somebody was complaining about the clock size the other day on the E63, I bet that ****** hasn't even punched his car.

Happy driving...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonbroker
I'm with you there. The multitouch interface from the iPhone could be adapted very nicely to a car.

Having made the mistake of getting a winblows mobile phone, and dealing with the crashes and lost settings and the dst patch I have to apply every 5-6 days and the overall asinine interface, the last thing I want to see is windows mobile in my car.

To add one thing to the actual topic of the thread, when I started looking for a luxury car last year I really wanted to like the LS460. Mostly because of the electronics. And I must say they have a great nav. And the Mark Levinson sound is very impressive (for a car) And after playing with it in the lot I was almost ready to buy the car...

...until I actually drove it. I don't care if the navigation included a supermodel who sits in the passenger seat and whispers directions in your ear, it still wouldn't be worth having to push a soulless car like a Lexus around.

So while it would be really great if the German cars had really great electronics, given the current choice we have I'll take the Porsches, Mercedes, and BMWs with their inferior toys and far superior driving dynamics all day long.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
After many suggestions to satisfy your complaints over the Mercedes/Navteq GPS Navigation in the current E63, seems you just keep changing up your your wish list. As I stated before, and still feel, you are a Lexus guy or maybe Acura. We all realize that the Nav in the Benz could be better, (in our short sighted American way) But the system must be able to operate world wide to a much greater degree, than the Japanese and domestic counterpoints do. NavTeq has the largest world wide map database and is first choice in Europe.

Then come the self proclaimed Techie, more complaining, Reminds me of a girl that doesn't get a pink Lexus SC 430 for her 16th birthday. If you come here to vent fine. But quit with the laundry list of complaints. We have here at MBWorld a wealth of valuable information. With a few clicks you can find out how to get 600 hp. out of your E55, even techie tips like TV and playing DVDs on the NAV screen. So if you truly are techie show us, contribute, take what you don't like and find a fix or solution and bring it. That is what we are here for.
No offense taken from your post. You have a right to your opinion. However, if you had actually read my 1st post to start the thread, you would have seen I asked everyone when the E is going to get the new command system as the S/C/CL class all have. This isn't a venue for me to vent and waste internet bandwidth and server resources here at MBWorld.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Isn't the new C bigger inside than the current E or something like that I heard?
Not even close ... the new C class is mildly bigger than the outgoing C-Class... and even so is smaller than the 3 series.

Also... I dont think the nav is that bad - much better than any handheld Garmin I have used ... also with Traffic master rerouting its pretty good.

Also not sure what you guys are on about ito Bluetooth and Ipod ... I got IPOD dock in glove compartment and I have bluetooth connectivity via the command unit ... what else do you want it to do ?

Last edited by stevebez; 03-30-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4Matic; Past: 2019 GLS 450; 2011 E550; 2007 E63; 2003 E500; 1999 E430
I am a computer professional and know the technology behind NAV. Who needs it anyway. Way over priced. I have been driving for 32 years without it and will be getting it on my new E63 for the first time. I doubt I will even use it.

Will I get a Lexus LS460 over an E63 becuase it has better presentation for its NAV device? ..... NO.

JOE
Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Not even close ... the new C class is mildly bigger than the outgoing C-Class... and even so is smaller than the 3 series.

Also... I dont think the nav is that bad - much better than any handheld Garmin I have used ... also with Traffic master rerouting its pretty good.

Also not sure what you guys are on about ito Bluetooth and Ipod ... I got IPOD dock in glove compartment and I have bluetooth connectivity via the command unit ... what else do you want it to do ?
But can you change tracks/playlists/artists/etc.. via the iPod dock in the glove box? My experience w/ it you have to change on iPod before connecting or you can ONLY change the track via steering wheel only. The command system does not talk to it at all.

As far as BT goes, can you call a restaurant you find on the NAV through the BT function without having to copy the phone number?

Last edited by SolidGranite; 03-30-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
JLP

But can you change tracks/playlists/artists/etc.. via the iPod dock in the glove box? My experience w/ it you have to change on iPod before connecting or you can ONLY change the track via steering wheel only. The command system does not talk to it at all.
You actually can control tracks/playlists/artists etc via the steering wheel controls and it displays right in front of you in the MFD.

The I-pod is connected to the COMMAND unit via the audio gateway, but it does not display anything on the COMMAND unit.

Like someone already said the E63 has a decent NAV system, a fully functional Ipod setup, and full Bluetooth connectivity where is the problem for all you techno geeks?

I guess Solidgranite is buying a E63 today!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JLP
You actually can control tracks/playlists/artists etc via the steering wheel controls and it displays right in front of you in the MFD.

The I-pod is connected to the COMMAND unit via the audio gateway, but it does not display anything on the COMMAND unit.

Like someone already said the E63 has a decent NAV system, a fully functional Ipod setup, and full Bluetooth connectivity where is the problem for all you techno geeks?

I guess Solidgranite is buying a E63 today!
LOL! Now all I need to do is find the right color combo as I'm not ordering new.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL

As far as BT goes, can you call a restaurant you find on the NAV through the BT function without having to copy the phone number?
In terms of calling a restaurant via BT from NAV listing - this link would be usefull but err I doubt I would ever use that - I seldom use the NAV list of restautants anyway.... but if thats the criterion on whether to buy an E63 ... you should look elsewhere I am quite sure.

What frustrates me is I cannot control the rear TV display from the front command. I have to use the friggin remote... which has no discrete buttons to select the desired input either.... If anyone has an answer to this please let me know! But this did not come close to stopping me getting the beast!!!

Any functionaility I got beyond the engine and the accelerator was a bonus in my opinion ... except the SBC which is a dangerous POS.

Last edited by stevebez; 03-30-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
JLP

Originally Posted by stevebez
Any functionaility I got beyond the engine and the accelerator was a bonus in my opinion ... except the SBC which is a dangerous POS.

SBC is no longer available in the 2007 W211's (E63 included) . Only the SL's and SLR's have SBC now.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I drove a friend's ML the other day and was pissed that his NAV was better than mine. He could located by reverse phone number which is awesome. I love that when I am in Japan everyone uses phone numbers to lookup the address cause most streets don't have names. Also scrolling was a lot nicer in the ML.
My buddy asked me last night if I liked the nav in my car. I said that I am not crazy about it but it gets the job done. Truth is, it's not the best, but it's the best we have for now and that'll have to do.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
My E60 M5 had a pretty lame Nav. Porsches all have lame navs... so I never ordered one. And MB has somewhat lame navs.

My wife's INfiniti M has an amazing Nav. My Acura RL that I'm trading in for my E55 (pick up tomorrow!) has the best nav in the business, and Lexus' nav is a close 2nd tied w/ Infiniti.

The Germans build the best cars to drive. The Japanese build the best cars to sit in. The electronics on Japanese cars rocks, but the drive isn't there.

I like a full package too, but unfortunately, you have to compromise somewhere regardless of what car you buy.

My vote for all around best full package? The E55 followed closely by the M5. Even with their sucky navs.

BTW, the worst electronics package ever? It's in my little Lotus Elise. lol
Pretty much aggree. I have an 03 X5 and that nav is a pos. Wifey's 07 E class Nav is a little better but German installed navs pale in comparison to the simplicity of Japanese car navis. W/ that said, just get the E63. The driving experience alone surely outweighs the little niggles of the nav system. BTW, how often do you REALLY need it?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
BTW, how often do you REALLY need it?
well I think the real question is, would he use it more if it didn't suck so much. I know I would. I'd use the Nav in my mom's lexus to look for nearby restuarants all the time, my 07 nav couldn't find the largest caino in Socal last night in the POI. So yeah, I don't use it much at all simply because I know it sucks.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
Pretty much aggree. I have an 03 X5 and that nav is a pos. Wifey's 07 E class Nav is a little better but German installed navs pale in comparison to the simplicity of Japanese car navis. W/ that said, just get the E63. The driving experience alone surely outweighs the little niggles of the nav system. BTW, how often do you REALLY need it?
For the X5, there are navigation software upgrades out from www.x5world.com
I did one of the software upgrades (I think version 27) and all I can say now is DAMN.
It really made a difference. Give it a shot.

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-sy...available.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dying to buy E63, but.....