Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Question Dying to buy E63, but.....

Guys,

I would be happy to purchase an E63 tomorrow, but... I just cannot get over the TERRIBLE navigation system which this 90k car has. It is now dated by 5 years and is a joke for a car of this class.

Does anyone have concrete information as to when it's going to get the updated S class navi system? Heck, even the C class has the new one starting this Spring. If MBUSA is going to wait until the redesign of the E then I don't know if I'll ever end up in one... Just can't wait that long!

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Guys,

I would be happy to purchase an E63 tomorrow, but... I just cannot get over the TERRIBLE navigation system which this 90k car has. It is now dated by 5 years and is a joke for a car of this class.

Does anyone have concrete information as to when it's going to get the updated S class navi system? Heck, even the C class has the new one starting this Spring. If MBUSA is going to wait until the redesign of the E then I don't know if I'll ever end up in one... Just can't wait that long!

Thanks!
Don't wait, If your #1 priority is nav you belong with the ricer guys.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 03-29-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not my #1 priority but it really would sting to spend 90k and end up with the worst NAV in the industry.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55
Dont order the Nav, then you won't have the 'worst one in the industry'. This just goes to show that Im a problem solver at heart.

Last edited by Archi; 03-29-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

E63
I don't know if it's the worst in the industry, but is not very user friendly. My daughters MDX's is a heck of a lot better to deal with. I just don't bother with it. To busy going fast to pay attention. Not good at multi tasking.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:56 AM

'15 E63S P30
Yeah, but you'll have one of the most bad *** 4 door sedans in the industry. Worst case don't order the NAV and get one of those portable systems.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Just get a C63. Problem solved. All the new refinements compared to the 'dated' E class. Isn't the new C bigger inside than the current E or something like that I heard?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
It's not my #1 priority but it really would sting to spend 90k and end up with the worst NAV in the industry.
There are worst NAV systems out there than the one in a E63.
But as others mentioned you are buying a 500 plus horsepower super-sedan and complaining about how shi*ty the NAV is????
Your priorities are skewed, maybe wait for the new Lexus supercar. They have great NAV systems.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JLP
There are worst NAV systems out there than the one in a E63.
But as others mentioned you are buying a 500 plus horsepower super-sedan and complaining about how shi*ty the NAV is????
Your priorities are skewed, maybe wait for the new Lexus supercar. They have great NAV systems.
I knew I was going to get comments like this but I plan on using the NAV a lot. I'm just the person who likes the entire package. I don't want to spend all this money and feel slighted everytime I get in the car. I know it sounds picky and what not, but it's just my personality I guess.

I don't know if it's the worst in the industry for sure but I've used a lot of these systems and the 2003 MB model is the worst so far based on my personal experience.

I might end up getting the C63 but I still don't know when it's coming out. My C55 has been in two accidents now and I'm dying to get rid of it, but have 13 lease payments left.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Get the E63 with the navi...but just buy a tomtom (portable navi) and you're set
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Get the E63 with the navi...but just buy a tomtom (portable navi) and you're set
Have considered this. Not sure if I want that thing sitting on top of my dash though...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
At least MB doesn't over charge you for it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
My E60 M5 had a pretty lame Nav. Porsches all have lame navs... so I never ordered one. And MB has somewhat lame navs.

My wife's INfiniti M has an amazing Nav. My Acura RL that I'm trading in for my E55 (pick up tomorrow!) has the best nav in the business, and Lexus' nav is a close 2nd tied w/ Infiniti.

The Germans build the best cars to drive. The Japanese build the best cars to sit in. The electronics on Japanese cars rocks, but the drive isn't there.

I like a full package too, but unfortunately, you have to compromise somewhere regardless of what car you buy.

My vote for all around best full package? The E55 followed closely by the M5. Even with their sucky navs.

BTW, the worst electronics package ever? It's in my little Lotus Elise. lol
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Have considered this. Not sure if I want that thing sitting on top of my dash though...
Don't worry about the comments from other people. I totally agree with you. For 90K it should have a much much better command / navigation. This was always an issue with me also.

Check out this link.
http://www.advancednav.com/product_i...9e96092256a0de

Watch the Video!

I think this is a great product and a very good solution. Get the E63 with the navigation so you have a real time map and use this system for the voice directions. Problem solved (I think). Good luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 PM

2014 E63S
The worst Nav system is in the AMV8 Vantage. The Mgr. of my local AM dealerhip carries a Garmon unit in his Vantage!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
There will likely be very little updates to the '08. MB sometimes adds a few things, but I think 030 package may be it until the new body in '09.

To those that love the Acura / Lexus systems, I agree that their navs are better. My only advise is go get the car and love it. Slighted to me is in things that CAN"T be replaced. Also, the nav in the '07 is not the same as the '03, so don't confuse yourself. Last, if you are saying that the "new" C is comparable to an E, then definitely save yourself the cash and do it. Why buy an E just for the name?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
I think nav systems are the biggest waste of money and certainly not a deal breaker. Biggest gimmick option out there. Get the E63.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
There will likely be very little updates to the '08. MB sometimes adds a few things, but I think 030 package may be it until the new body in '09.

To those that love the Acura / Lexus systems, I agree that their navs are better. My only advise is go get the car and love it. Slighted to me is in things that CAN"T be replaced. Also, the nav in the '07 is not the same as the '03, so don't confuse yourself. Last, if you are saying that the "new" C is comparable to an E, then definitely save yourself the cash and do it. Why buy an E just for the name?
I purely want the E over the C for the space. I'm over 6' tall and feel cramped in my C55 and the back seat is a complete joke. It's almost embarrassing when I have to cart some extra people around.

I have also come to know the new C is only going from 85 cubic feet of space to 88 while the 3-series has 93!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by 05VENOM
I think nav systems are the biggest waste of money and certainly not a deal breaker. Biggest gimmick option out there. Get the E63.
No sh*t...........NAV is for soccer moms and wimps, if you own a E63 and can't get to your destination with a decent NAV then you have no business owning such a fine automobile.

Are there better NAV systems out there? Yes. Does the marignal NAV system in a E63 make it any less of a car? No.

Last edited by JLP; 03-29-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JLP
No sh*t...........NAV is for soccer moms and wimps, if you own a E63 and can't get to your destination with a decent NAV then you have no business owning such a fine automobile.

Are there better NAV systems out there? Yes. Does the marignal NAV system in a E63 make it any less of a car? No.
Ya know, you guys are actually pounding some sense into me. Since I'm a techie...I don't just want the NAV for getting from point A to point B. I want it for it's other capabilites like bluetooth integration, MP3/Ipod integration, storage, other car controls, etc... I have zero issues getting to where I want to go as I have google maps on my blackberry anyway. I just really would like to enjoy all the features a good NAV system can provide.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I knew I was going to get comments like this but I plan on using the NAV a lot. I'm just the person who likes the entire package. I don't want to spend all this money and feel slighted everytime I get in the car. I know it sounds picky and what not, but it's just my personality I guess.

I don't know if it's the worst in the industry for sure but I've used a lot of these systems and the 2003 MB model is the worst so far based on my personal experience.

I might end up getting the C63 but I still don't know when it's coming out. My C55 has been in two accidents now and I'm dying to get rid of it, but have 13 lease payments left.
Forget the comments people make. It's true, some people have the sole priority of getting a car with a lot of horsepower and good engineering so things like NAV, or luxury don't seem matter to them -- and fine, whatever, good for them! But it does matter to a lot of people and Mercedes-Benz doesn't offer the "best in the industry" (let's put it that way).

I'm one who HATES after market things -- things popping out of the dash board or sticking on the dash board (Tom-Tom's), it just takes away from the quality and design. Unfortunately, while the Germans have mastered the art of engineering, they haven't quite caught up to the Japanese companies (namely Acura, Lexus, and Infinti) in terms of technology - and I mean ALL TECHNOLOGY, not just the nav. The satellite nav's that $30,000 Acura's are offering are not even optional on $185,000 S65's. The integrated iPod jack that Nissan is offering standard, costs $400 to wire into a $50,000 E-Class. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there's not much you can do. While the new C-Class/S-Class/CL-Class navs are better, they aren't still on par with the other guys. The resolution, the no touch screen ability, the features - or lack of, and so forth still aren't there. BUT, the NAV does offer you the basic functions that will get you day-in and day-out, and all the other performance and luxury amenities will take your mind off of it. At the end of the day, you use the steering, brakes and seats more than the NAV.

Hopefully in future Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi & Co. will partner up with technologies companies like Microsoft to offer much better operating systems on their navs. And remember, now that Mercedes uses DVD Navigation you can still find upgrades/updates for your nav., so that's something comforting in the future. For the mean time, enjoy the 500HP, help is on the way!

Tee_Tz.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tee_tz
Forget the comments people make. It's true, some people have the sole priority of getting a car with a lot of horsepower and good engineering so things like NAV, or luxury don't seem matter to them -- and fine, whatever, good for them! But it does matter to a lot of people and Mercedes-Benz doesn't offer the "best in the industry" (let's put it that way).

I'm one who HATES after market things -- things popping out of the dash board or sticking on the dash board (Tom-Tom's), it just takes away from the quality and design. Unfortunately, while the Germans have mastered the art of engineering, they haven't quite caught up to the Japanese companies (namely Acura, Lexus, and Infinti) in terms of technology - and I mean ALL TECHNOLOGY, not just the nav. The satellite nav's that $30,000 Acura's are offering are not even optional on $185,000 S65's. The integrated iPod jack that Nissan is offering standard, costs $400 to wire into a $50,000 E-Class. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there's not much you can do. While the new C-Class/S-Class/CL-Class navs are better, they aren't still on par with the other guys. The resolution, the no touch screen ability, the features - or lack of, and so forth still aren't there. BUT, the NAV does offer you the basic functions that will get you day-in and day-out, and all the other performance and luxury amenities will take your mind off of it. At the end of the day, you use the steering, brakes and seats more than the NAV.

Hopefully in future Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi & Co. will partner up with technologies companies like Microsoft to offer much better operating systems on their navs. And remember, now that Mercedes uses DVD Navigation you can still find upgrades/updates for your nav., so that's something comforting in the future. For the mean time, enjoy the 500HP, help is on the way!

Tee_Tz.
Well said. Thanks for the post!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Ya know, you guys are actually pounding some sense into me. Since I'm a techie...I don't just want the NAV for getting from point A to point B. I want it for it's other capabilites like bluetooth integration, MP3/Ipod integration, storage, other car controls, etc... I have zero issues getting to where I want to go as I have google maps on my blackberry anyway. I just really would like to enjoy all the features a good NAV system can provide.
I'm a techie too! That's why I expect Blue tooth in an expensive car - in fact, quick and easy pairing to my device; easy iPod integration; MP3 CD readability; and so much more. It's pretty simple features when you think of it, but the priorities at Mercedes-Benz and Acura are entirely different.

It's kind of like an old elegant hotel that doesn't have flat-panels in their rooms or a modern gym, yet costs $2,000 per night and another hotel with hip amenities, 50" flat-panels in their rooms and costs $1,000 per night. You'll know where to find us techies!

Tee_Tz.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:54 PM

03 E55
Nav has low cool factor, but it works fine. I'm not sure why so many people have such a big beef with the MB NAV? I have a Lexus too with touch screen; the NAV is cooler, but in the end, functionally, it does the same thing as the MB NAV. Touch screen leaves fingerprints too.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
You dont need navigation to get all those cool thing intergrated into your car. Remember the Command unit is seperate from the navigation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dying to buy E63, but.....