W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

gurus, need input possibly buyin e55 tomorow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 10:25 PM

gurus, need input possibly buyin e55 tomorow

hey guys, im new here I currently own a BMW 530 looking to get an e55 that i have always wanted. I wanted some opinion from the mercedes guys on what i should do. thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

I am looking at an 03 e55 with 56k mile.. of course out of warranty and its not a CPO. I havent read much about the car on the forums and comon problems that go wrong after the 50k mark. either way i am a buit reluctant to get it and purchase additional warranty from the dealer or after market cause i feel theres nothing like a factory warranty.

I dont plan to drive much but of course I will drive it hard every once in a while...im wondering and asking for suggestions because the price im getting on this car is about 41k and im guessing I would spend and additional 2 to 3k on ext warranty wich i will def buy on such an expensive car. so do those figures sound ok for that type of car and milage... ohh and also the car dosent have xenons which kinda bugs me... I dont want to install an after market kit cause I dont know if it'll look the same...

my other option is just to forget this car and wait till about dec of this year 07. untill i save up enough for a rather large down payment on an 04 with low milage and factory warranty.. or even luck out an find a CPO used car.

so botom line... im a bit weary of 56k miles!! and ext warranty.. my last 2 cars i got rid of them b4 the factory warranty exp..... can some of u guys who know this car more than me say go for it or wait and get it cpo or low miles 04 because ext warranty is not 100% good.

thank you again anything u guys can say will be helpfull as i donot want to get my self into some sh*t and make a bad decision
Old 04-07-2007 | 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I wouldnt own ANY Mercedes without a warranty,especially an E55.
Old 04-07-2007 | 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Bad news, but I agree with Jrocket.
Mine is about to go out of warranty (June) and either I find an after market warranty company or this car is gone.
Old 04-08-2007 | 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
I wouldnt own ANY Mercedes without a warranty,especially an E55.

"I do and so does my wife" (to paraphrase Monty Python's life of Brian)

The $40k I saved by buying/leasing a two year old car (in Australia) will pay for almost any repairs over the next 3 years (2 out of warranty).......as in the $4k it cost for new front airmatic suspension recently.

Its all about risk and your aversion, or otherwise, to it. No matter which way you go it costs money - up front or in repairs later.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2007 | 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by OzE55
"I do and so does my wife" (to paraphrase Monty Python's life of Brian)

The $40k I saved by buying/leasing a two year old car (in Australia) will pay for almost any repairs over the next 3 years (2 out of warranty).......as in the $4k it cost for new front airmatic suspension recently.

Its all about risk and your aversion, or otherwise, to it. No matter which way you go it costs money - up front or in repairs later.

Cheers.
Love the paraphrase!

Some of my cars are leases and some are purchased out right.Either way Im the type of person that wont spend a dime unless Im getting a great deal,even if its just a great deal in my eyes only.

4k for new suspension? Correct me is Im wrong here but isnt everything in Oz more pricey compared to the U.S.?
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Love the paraphrase!

Some of my cars are leases and some are purchased out right.Either way Im the type of person that wont spend a dime unless Im getting a great deal,even if its just a great deal in my eyes only.

4k for new suspension? Correct me is Im wrong here but isnt everything in Oz more pricey compared to the U.S.?

Car wise, yes, many other things are equivalent if the exchange rate is factored ($A1 = US0.80cents). A new E63 is around $230k, so parts are likely, similarly, more expensive.
I should point out that the initial quote from the dealer was $8k for both front airmatic units (fitted) but MB Australia paid for half even though the car was out of warranty - good customer, AMG, lowish mileage for failure etc.
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by trboda6
hey guys, im new here I currently own a BMW 530 looking to get an e55 that i have always wanted. I wanted some opinion from the mercedes guys on what i should do. thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

I am looking at an 03 e55 with 56k mile.. of course out of warranty and its not a CPO. I havent read much about the car on the forums and comon problems that go wrong after the 50k mark. either way i am a buit reluctant to get it and purchase additional warranty from the dealer or after market cause i feel theres nothing like a factory warranty.

I dont plan to drive much but of course I will drive it hard every once in a while...im wondering and asking for suggestions because the price im getting on this car is about 41k and im guessing I would spend and additional 2 to 3k on ext warranty wich i will def buy on such an expensive car. so do those figures sound ok for that type of car and milage... ohh and also the car dosent have xenons which kinda bugs me... I dont want to install an after market kit cause I dont know if it'll look the same...

my other option is just to forget this car and wait till about dec of this year 07. untill i save up enough for a rather large down payment on an 04 with low milage and factory warranty.. or even luck out an find a CPO used car.

so botom line... im a bit weary of 56k miles!! and ext warranty.. my last 2 cars i got rid of them b4 the factory warranty exp..... can some of u guys who know this car more than me say go for it or wait and get it cpo or low miles 04 because ext warranty is not 100% good.

thank you again anything u guys can say will be helpfull as i donot want to get my self into some sh*t and make a bad decision
Purchase a warranty thru MB or do research for an aftermarket warranty from a relible warranty company. MB would perhaps help you find one that they work with.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2007 | 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Purchase a warranty thru MB or do research for an aftermarket warranty from a relible warranty company. MB would perhaps help you find one that they work with.
thanks for the replies!!.. the dealer is closed today ofcourse. Monday i will find out from the MB dealer how much the warranty may cost me.. im assuming it will be more for this car than any other lowe model car.

If i buy it im going to try to steal it and walk out giving them no more than 39.5 if i get it for that price and lets say spen another 2-3k on an extended warranty would it be a good purchase..?? i know its up to me but i dont want to make an impulsive buy.

just wondering if you guys would be content with that purchase and feel ok about it or not. any other inputs or suggestions are greatly appreciated.