M5 / E55 comparison -after owning each- LONG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
M5 / E55 comparison -after owning each- LONG

M5 / E55 comparison -- LONG

After owning the M5 for about 8 months and the E55 for a couple of weeks now, I think I can fairly write my opinions and + & - on each.

Let me start off by saying, I’m a true car-guy and not a flag waving person of each car. I’ve owned 2 BMW’s, 2001 330i and 2006 M5, and 2 MB’s 1999 SLK 230 and now 2006 E55. (I’ve owned many other makes including 3 Porsche 996’s, so I’ve been all over the board… no real loyalties to a brand)

I sold the M5 to save some money in the short term during a move and because I realized that while I owned the M5 I would never be able to get a track car in addition and justify it to my wife. So I bought an Acura RL and a Lotus Elise. After having the Elise for 7.5 months and never once getting the time to track or auto-x, I realized, “Ok… at this point, my priorities are such that I won’t be able to track it.” The Lotus sat for most of the time I owned it. It was a total waste unfortunately. I drove it to work on nice days, but with a 3 year old, I almost never drove it any other time. I decided, ok, back to uber-sedan! But I didn’t want to buy new again, so I shopped pre-owned and for the first time looked at E55’s. After driving an E, I decided that it fit my life best right now and would make a better daily for me that I’d enjoy. Also, on average, they were about 10K cheaper than the M5 which helped tip the scales some more.

Comparison below, but my reasoning for the E is
1) massive torque is a blast around town
2) it handled better than I expected. Not as well as an M5, but good enough for daily driving. This board had me thinking otherwise until I drove one.
3) I’ve owned and M5 before and something diff is fun
4) Fully auto is a plus with my wife and I was never fully sold on the SMG
5) Did I mention torque? (and if I want to mod, it’s easy!)

Comparison:

Interior: Tough call over all. I’d say for me, it’s a “tie”.

Love the E55 seats. The dynamic is comparable to the M5’s active seats. They don’t quite grip you as well as the M5’s, but the difference is so negligible, I think most people wouldn’t notice.
I think the E55 seats are slightly more comfortable, but like above, so negligible that it’s a virtual tie.
The COMMAND system is weird at first, but decent when you get used to it. Just like i-drive. The navigation is equal to M5’s. The interface is faster than i-drive, but not as quick to navigate. I miss the navigation of menus from i-drive. The stereo is a virtual tie too, but if I had to pick a winner, I’d say M5. The ease of integration to iPod, goes to E55.
E55 has no Bluetooth without an additional module. BOO MB for that! Lame on such a nice car.
(btw, the Acura and wife’s M35 blow them both away in terms of technology… Germans are just not up to par w/ Japanese)

Unless I remember wrong, there is a little more legroom in the rear of the M5. Maybe an inch or 2? Anyway, I can tell when my daughter is in her car seat that she reaches the passenger seat easier… but then again, she’s older too. Lol, maybe she grew? 

I miss the HUD. That is just a sweet @ss option.

Driving: This is the important one. Again, I feel like MotorTrend, but it’s a tie over all, and depends on where you are for the winner to emerge.

Straight line acceleration and leaving a stop light, there is no question. The E55 is much quicker. I’m sorry, but these videos of the M5 beating an E55 off the line are just bogus unless either 1) the M5 has euro launch control or 2) the MB driver is seriously retarded. And even w/ euro LC, you wouldn’t want to do this to your M5 too often. Yes, the M5 is faster up high, but for me, this doesn’t matter much for my driving. I live in the USA. I’m lucky to get over 90 very often. And it’s not like the E is a slouch up high, just not as fast as the M5. This was my thinking and as much as like the M5, this is my #1 reason why I went with an E55 over another M5.

Handling is, duh, the M5’s territory. If you need a car that you can really toss around and is still very fast, the M5 is the better choice. That being said, I had expected the E55 to just suck after being on m5board for so long, and I was pleasantly surprised that for a heavy sedan (50 lbs diff b/w it an M5) that it handles very well. Again, it’s no M5, but it’s not too terribly far off the mark. It’s about as far off the mark as the M5 is off low end acceleration (I define low end as 0 – 70 mph).

The feel of each car is different. The E55 feels heavier and more “solid” while the M5 feels lighter and more nimble. This plays into the handling of each.

I don’t miss SMG at all. I wish the Benz had 6 gears or even better, 7, but I can’t believe I actually like the auto better than SMG. Mainly, SMG scared for its long term durability and potential that as more cars come out with dual clutch systems (Audi, Porsche) that SMG will be seen as primitive. Also, my former M5 had to replace the whole tranny once already. I only knew because they called me instead of the current owner to tell me how it went. When I went shopping for a sedan again, this was another big factor in my mind.

Brakes: M5 wins pretty heavily. The E55 brakes aren’t as good. They’re good for a big sedan, but the M5 brakes are just exceptional. I’d rate the M5 brakes on par with my 996 Turbo brakes. I miss the brakes! This plays into why the M5 will out handle the E55 on a road course… but I won’t be doing that anytime soon or I’d still have the Lotus. 

Looks: Completely subjective, but I’d say the E is prettier in my book, but I miss the sweet Interlagos Blue of the M5.

I’m pretty sure there are things I’m forgetting to include in this write up, but it’s already too long and I don’t want to bore you guys.

Over all, I love both cars. Each are great for different things and for me right now, the E55 is the better choice all things being equal. If I were doing a lot of country driving on twisty roads, I’d go w/ M5. If I were doing more city driving and hauling my family around, I’d say E55, and that’s what I’m doing now.

I’m posting this on both boards… m5board.com and mbworld.org
Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Great review!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Scott in H-town
... Yes, the M5 is faster up high, but for me, this doesn’t matter much for my driving. I live in the USA. ...
That sums it up for me too, although I get over 130 almost everyday, it's a 0 to 130+ blast and day in - day out, the torque is addictive.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
You're going to get banned on m5board. So sorry...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Nice M5/E55 write-up

Very good write-up, covered many aspects of both cars...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM

2014 E63S
Great write up Scott. I had narrowed my choices to the M5/E55 as well. Drove a full up M5 with the HUD and loved it as well. I really did enjoy the driver interface with the SMG. Chose the E55 for the exact reasons you mentioned as well as fears of SMG transmission issues. SMG though flawed is great w/ that car. I feel that a 6 speed on the e60 M5 defeats the purpose of the car. Thanks again for the indepth comparison.

Last edited by ShocDoc79; 04-09-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM

2012 JDM
Great write-up Scott. Thanks for taking the time to inform those of us who haven't owned both. I have never driven or even been in an M5 so that helps alot!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I am no longer in the market for an M5 Just kidding as I never was until I saw the recent auctions sales on the 06's all going for less than 70k ouch!!.

Nice writeup and I appreciate that you prefaced this with what your needs were as others' needs may differ.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Vic55
Nice writeup and I appreciate that you prefaced this with what your needs were as others' needs may differ.
Exactly. If you don't know what context I'm writing from, the write up doesn't mean much.
Both cars rock. I mean really rock. But I can definitely see why some would rather own an M5, and I obviously understand why some choose the E.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Thanks for taking the time to share such an excellent write-up.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Exactly. If you don't know what context I'm writing from, the write up doesn't mean much.
Both cars rock. I mean really rock. But I can definitely see why some would rather own an M5, and I obviously understand why some choose the E.
Hi Scott, great write up, How did your A/C check out? Hope it is up to a Texas summer.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Hi Scott, great write up, How did your A/C check out? Hope it is up to a Texas summer.
The A/C is golden now. I just had it fixed. There was some valve that was stuck. (Ironically, my M5 had a similar problem but it wouldn't stop blowing air even if the car was shut off! lol)

It blows nice and cold now. Bring on that Texas summer! lol

(Just kidding God. Please make this summer mild)

Last edited by Scott in H-town; 04-09-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM

'15 E63S P30
I read the thread that you posted over on the M5 board and I love how people read into things, like this guy:

Thanks for the write up. This just proves that the M5 is a "driver's" car, whereas the E55 is a luxury sedan with gobs of torque. My choice: M5.
Your reply is good.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
The E55 is probably the only Mercedes I would ever look forward to owning in the future. Other than that, I am through with Mercedes. These cars demand too much outta the wallet.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by newton22
The E55 is probably the only Mercedes I would ever look forward to owning in the future. Other than that, I am through with Mercedes. These cars demand too much outta the wallet.
has yours been a problem?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
has yours been a problem?
Numerous issues. Embarrasing to say, but I still have many unfixed problems that I have just given up to care for. My CD changer is still broken, but I listen to my ipod anyways.

We don't want to sell her because these cars go for too low nowadays.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
Well written Scott! I think for my uses, you've talked me out of the M5 forever!!
I have to say that the one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the SMG is when you grab a couple of gears and it double-clutches and bring the revs up to match!!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 PM

2013 CLS63 2004 S55
Nice writeup

I was afraid of E55 handling coming from an E39 M5 and was surprised it wasn't as bad as I feared. Again, the M did handle curves better but by a small margin.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Nice write up Scott, well done.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM

Viper/Z06/E55/GT500
Good review!

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
M5 / E55 comparison -- LONG

After owning the M5 for about 8 months and the E55 for a couple of weeks now, I think I can fairly write my opinions and + & - on each.

Let me start off by saying, I’m a true car-guy and not a flag waving person of each car. I’ve owned 2 BMW’s, 2001 330i and 2006 M5, and 2 MB’s 1999 SLK 230 and now 2006 E55. (I’ve owned many other makes including 3 Porsche 996’s, so I’ve been all over the board… no real loyalties to a brand)

I sold the M5 to save some money in the short term during a move and because I realized that while I owned the M5 I would never be able to get a track car in addition and justify it to my wife. So I bought an Acura RL and a Lotus Elise. After having the Elise for 7.5 months and never once getting the time to track or auto-x, I realized, “Ok… at this point, my priorities are such that I won’t be able to track it.” The Lotus sat for most of the time I owned it. It was a total waste unfortunately. I drove it to work on nice days, but with a 3 year old, I almost never drove it any other time. I decided, ok, back to uber-sedan! But I didn’t want to buy new again, so I shopped pre-owned and for the first time looked at E55’s. After driving an E, I decided that it fit my life best right now and would make a better daily for me that I’d enjoy. Also, on average, they were about 10K cheaper than the M5 which helped tip the scales some more.

Comparison below, but my reasoning for the E is
1) massive torque is a blast around town
2) it handled better than I expected. Not as well as an M5, but good enough for daily driving. This board had me thinking otherwise until I drove one.
3) I’ve owned and M5 before and something diff is fun
4) Fully auto is a plus with my wife and I was never fully sold on the SMG
5) Did I mention torque? (and if I want to mod, it’s easy!)

Comparison:

Interior: Tough call over all. I’d say for me, it’s a “tie”.

Love the E55 seats. The dynamic is comparable to the M5’s active seats. They don’t quite grip you as well as the M5’s, but the difference is so negligible, I think most people wouldn’t notice.
I think the E55 seats are slightly more comfortable, but like above, so negligible that it’s a virtual tie.
The COMMAND system is weird at first, but decent when you get used to it. Just like i-drive. The navigation is equal to M5’s. The interface is faster than i-drive, but not as quick to navigate. I miss the navigation of menus from i-drive. The stereo is a virtual tie too, but if I had to pick a winner, I’d say M5. The ease of integration to iPod, goes to E55.
E55 has no Bluetooth without an additional module. BOO MB for that! Lame on such a nice car.
(btw, the Acura and wife’s M35 blow them both away in terms of technology… Germans are just not up to par w/ Japanese)

Unless I remember wrong, there is a little more legroom in the rear of the M5. Maybe an inch or 2? Anyway, I can tell when my daughter is in her car seat that she reaches the passenger seat easier… but then again, she’s older too. Lol, maybe she grew? 

I miss the HUD. That is just a sweet @ss option.

Driving: This is the important one. Again, I feel like MotorTrend, but it’s a tie over all, and depends on where you are for the winner to emerge.

Straight line acceleration and leaving a stop light, there is no question. The E55 is much quicker. I’m sorry, but these videos of the M5 beating an E55 off the line are just bogus unless either 1) the M5 has euro launch control or 2) the MB driver is seriously retarded. And even w/ euro LC, you wouldn’t want to do this to your M5 too often. Yes, the M5 is faster up high, but for me, this doesn’t matter much for my driving. I live in the USA. I’m lucky to get over 90 very often. And it’s not like the E is a slouch up high, just not as fast as the M5. This was my thinking and as much as like the M5, this is my #1 reason why I went with an E55 over another M5.

Handling is, duh, the M5’s territory. If you need a car that you can really toss around and is still very fast, the M5 is the better choice. That being said, I had expected the E55 to just suck after being on m5board for so long, and I was pleasantly surprised that for a heavy sedan (50 lbs diff b/w it an M5) that it handles very well. Again, it’s no M5, but it’s not too terribly far off the mark. It’s about as far off the mark as the M5 is off low end acceleration (I define low end as 0 – 70 mph).

The feel of each car is different. The E55 feels heavier and more “solid” while the M5 feels lighter and more nimble. This plays into the handling of each.

I don’t miss SMG at all. I wish the Benz had 6 gears or even better, 7, but I can’t believe I actually like the auto better than SMG. Mainly, SMG scared for its long term durability and potential that as more cars come out with dual clutch systems (Audi, Porsche) that SMG will be seen as primitive. Also, my former M5 had to replace the whole tranny once already. I only knew because they called me instead of the current owner to tell me how it went. When I went shopping for a sedan again, this was another big factor in my mind.

Brakes: M5 wins pretty heavily. The E55 brakes aren’t as good. They’re good for a big sedan, but the M5 brakes are just exceptional. I’d rate the M5 brakes on par with my 996 Turbo brakes. I miss the brakes! This plays into why the M5 will out handle the E55 on a road course… but I won’t be doing that anytime soon or I’d still have the Lotus. 

Looks: Completely subjective, but I’d say the E is prettier in my book, but I miss the sweet Interlagos Blue of the M5.

I’m pretty sure there are things I’m forgetting to include in this write up, but it’s already too long and I don’t want to bore you guys.

Over all, I love both cars. Each are great for different things and for me right now, the E55 is the better choice all things being equal. If I were doing a lot of country driving on twisty roads, I’d go w/ M5. If I were doing more city driving and hauling my family around, I’d say E55, and that’s what I’m doing now.

I’m posting this on both boards… m5board.com and mbworld.org
I see that you picked up a 2005. That might be the reason why you feel the handling is better. AMG upgraded the steering rack / pinion some time in MY05 and the turn in response is much better than the older '03 and '04.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM

2005 E55
Thanks for the compliments guys.

And yes, I also like the downshifting of the SMG, but as I said, the long term of that tranny scared me.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Great review again Scott! It is also amazing how the comments over on the M5board are vastly different compared to here. They hate the fact that you decided you wanted a chng and bought an AMG. Such neg comments about the E55. I've never seen such a neg elitist group on a forum in my life. I'll say it again that both cars are fantastic at what they are meant to do! Good luck with the BEAST. Too bad you could not keep both of them.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I just saw the same post over there and thought it would be interesting to see how each side responded..... no surprise over there..... very defensive and pessimistic....

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Great review again Scott! It is also amazing how the comments over on the M5board are vastly different compared to here. They hate the fact that you decided you wanted a chng and bought an AMG. Such neg comments about the E55. I've never seen such a neg elitist group on a forum in my life. I'll say it again that both cars are fantastic at what they are meant to do! Good luck with the BEAST. Too bad you could not keep both of them.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great unbiased review Scott.

Originally Posted by Fikse
I just saw the same post over there and thought it would be interesting to see how each side responded..... no surprise over there..... very defensive and pessimistic....

Typical of them. I especially liked how they acted at the Wheelpower meet this past weekend. Everyone in the MB group was quite friendly and willing to socialize with the other group but most of the BMW group was quite the opposite. Someone even posted, "The meet got a lot better after we ditched all the MBs". We had 3 BMW's in our group/caravan that were like "WTF is their problem?" I guess some people are just a little insecure.

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 04-10-2007 at 04:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M5 / E55 comparison -after owning each- LONG