Sponsored by:

gas smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e55 AMG
gas smell

this is really bothering me, whenever i filled up the gas, there is a really heavy gas smell outside the car and it goes away later in an hour or so. i know there are some board member are having the same issue too but my only happens everytime i filled up the gas. is this normal?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:07 PM

1973 Yugo
i get it after spirited driving when i'm kinda low on gas but I don't have an amg
Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Do not top off gas tank of a Mercedes Benz.

Originally Posted by ewuwu ///AMG
this is really bothering me, whenever i filled up the gas, there is a really heavy gas smell outside the car and it goes away later in an hour or so. i know there are some board member are having the same issue too but my only happens everytime i filled up the gas. is this normal?
Go tell the dealer ASAP. A car fire will ruin your day.
Tell us, how do you fill your tank?
when you open the cap is there any pressure escaping?
Do you put the nozzle in as far as possible?
Full force with nozzle locked on max?
Half force with nozzle locked at half?
Almost full force with gas cap wedged/holding nozzle on?
Do you stop filling when the automatic shuts off, or continue to top off?
After you fill the tank dose the car run ok?
Do you ever see any liquid gas under car after refueling?
Part of the emission system includes a means to prevent gasoline from evaporating from the tank yet providing adequate ventilation. If the tank is over filled gasoline will back up in this system and contaminate and saturate the charcoal canister/filter that is vented to outside air and your engines induction system.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
I know exactly what it is... your gas tank needs to be replaced. Mine was doing the same thing a couple months ago. I brought it to the dealer and they found out that it is a was a leaking seal that is attached to the top of the tank. Apparently it is a somewhat common problem on these E55's. My SA said they had already fixed 3 E55's in Vegas for that same problem. Obviously it is covered under warranty.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S
What dragonAMG said is "spot on". I had the same problem on my previous 05 E55. Initially the odor would go away and one morning it was so strong I could not go in my garage. Not a drop of fuel on the garage floor. MBZ towing service showed up to take my car in and he said "No F...king way I am going to start that car, I'm afraid it might explode". Long story short, the fuel found its way into my cars insulation. All the insulation and interior leather had to be replaced, of course under warranty. Fuel had permeated nearly everything. Take the car in Monday! Fuel fires are intense!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
How to test for tank seal leak recall

Kneel down at your driverside back door, right at the rear tire. Shine a flash light straight across the tread of the rear tire at the 8:00 location. You will see a plastic tray that follows the bottom of the car that ends right where the rear tire well starts. Place your fingers over into the lip of the tray at the rear and remove and smell your hand for gas. If so take it to the dealer for the updated tank seal. You can also see weep holes at the rear of the tray so that water and other fluids (ie gas for you) can drain off.
The following users liked this post:
C3Duece (01-21-2019)
Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Quailty Issue

A typical quality issue with E55 and other models. MB has not faced this and will continue to fix under warranty the issues as they occur. They will not go after the source....
Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM

my 05 is beginning to smell a LOT after some good conering and the dealer can not find the issue
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Cars with Stars
it s a typical fault on all 211 models.the tank is leaking and must be replaced.also on the cls.this fault comes especially,when you live in a hot place.in my old company in germany we have verry less or as good as no problem with leaking tanks.but here in kuwait we change xx tanks a week.there is a "welded" braket for a fuelline on top of the tank and this "welded" thing will leaking.you can see it easy,when the car is on a jack or lift,the fuel will leave one's mark (mist).
Old 01-11-2021, 07:23 PM

Received 180 Likes on 74 Posts
W221 S550 4MATIC
I fixed it.