verdict on cams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
verdict on cams

i know i said i didnt want to open the motor but, **** im a mod junky! did anyone ever dyno after cam install? i searched but couldnt find any dyno numbers. witch did you find better the slr type or schrick(sp?) thanks for your time.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
+1
Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
quite a few people are in the process of installing and testing these so we should have some answers soon.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Kleemann cams here, stock like idling. However I need to break them in for 500 miles before dyno & track events. These first 500 miles feel like it will never end......
Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
chriomikey didnt you get the slr type? have you had a chance to install them yet? for any butt dyno info.
2 manycars the kleemann cams are built by schrick? what does your butt dyno tell you?
i read in one of the many threads last knight that the cams will take alil from the low end and add to the middle and top. if this is correct i will have to get them, wheel spin is a problem for me.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, i do have the slr cams installed and i'm scheduled for dyno work this week. i won't even venture a guess with my butt dyno...they don't give anywhere near accurate readings at these levels.

i'm expecting a bit reserved numbers since our weather here in arizona has jumped considerably since i had my pre install dyno run. oh well, what can you do...

i'm more interested in mph/et at the track anyways. vrus' tb only gave me 25ish hp on the dyno but was worth .3s off my et and +3mph. that's huge! if i can get that out of these cams i'll be doing table dances for half my ussual rates!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
yes, i do have the slr cams installed and i'm scheduled for dyno work this week. i won't even venture a guess with my butt dyno...they don't give anywhere near accurate readings at these levels.

i'm expecting a bit reserved numbers since our weather here in arizona has jumped considerably since i had my pre install dyno run. oh well, what can you do...

i'm more interested in mph/et at the track anyways. vrus' tb only gave me 25ish hp on the dyno but was worth .3s off my et and +3mph. that's huge! if i can get that out of these cams i'll be doing table dances for half my ussual rates!!!
LOL half price table dancing is normaly a good thing not sure about this one though! cant wait to see your dyno numbers. did you get the real SLR type or the copies that are direct plug and play?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Have there been any pre-post dyno results for the SLR cams.. Or better yet track times. I am sure that there are a few people on the board who have them, but I can't recall anyone posting results...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Rocketw19,
If I recall correctly, they are built by Schrick, but I will have to double check later. Butt dyno tells me low end and mid range are definitely improved. I will have hard numbers when the new parts are fully broken in.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
2manycars,
Can you post the before and after dynos. Maybe once they arre broken in you can post a third dyno.
thx
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
SleeperX,
I'm sorry to say I don't have any before and after dyno to post simply because I was never interested in what a stock car can do on a dyno. I will post what I get with my upgrades accordingly whp, wtq, and crank BHP/lb-ft using the 18% drivetrain loss percentage.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I am in the process of buying SLR cams from BenzGal, from what I have heard they should be fairly easy to install, I even spoke to my MB mechanic and he said he knew about the spacers needed for the cam sensors. Chiromickey is helping me by providing the spacers, he is in the process of building them for me. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. Cams and TB will go in together and finally a nice ECU tune, keep your fingers crossed. lol!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as i alluded to in earlier posts, az weather right now is quite different (hotter!) than it was 6 weeks ago when i set my baseline dyno. to make things more difficult, no matter how many straps we used on the car we could not keep it from breaking traction. as impressive as that was, it doesn't help when you're trying to measure hp/tq gains...and it certainly doesn't help with the heat soak issues.

anyways, after a half dozen attempts we finally put some people in the trunk and got a better run. heat soak was apparent and spraying down the intercooler wasn't helping so peak gains at this time are quite conservative on the dyno dynamics machine. if we could have dyno'd under the same conditions as the pre cam run and not have wasted so many runs due to loss of traction, i'm sure results would have been better. i'll try to post the graphs when i get home but we were only able to get 8-10hp under these circumstances. regardless, everyone should understand that there ARE gains to be had and i would suspect 15-20hp through the entire mid range to top end on a dynojet. i'm not a firm believer in dyno numbers anyways. i'll let the track results speak for me. keep in mind what i said about vrus' tb. the conservative hp gains in no way represented how much improvement there really was...especially when the gains are spread throughout several thousand rpms instead of just peak improvements.

on a side note, the graph seems to be pointing out a new weak link. i'm in the middle of beta testing mufflers but put the oem mufflers on my custom exhaust since that's what i had for the pre cam dyno. even with all my custom exhaust work, because of the highly restrictive mufflers we seem to be losing a tiny bit on the top end. it looks as if the mufflers are good up until about 600 crank hp. after that they just can't flow. i'll keep you updated when we get a final muffler set up that works a little better.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by chiromikey
as i alluded to in earlier posts, az weather right now is quite different (hotter!) than it was 6 weeks ago when i set my baseline dyno. to make things more difficult, no matter how many straps we used on the car we could not keep it from breaking traction. as impressive as that was, it doesn't help when you're trying to measure hp/tq gains...and it certainly doesn't help with the heat soak issues.

anyways, after a half dozen attempts we finally put some people in the trunk and got a better run. heat soak was apparent and spraying down the intercooler wasn't helping so peak gains at this time are quite conservative on the dyno dynamics machine. if we could have dyno'd under the same conditions as the pre cam run and not have wasted so many runs due to loss of traction, i'm sure results would have been better. i'll try to post the graphs when i get home but we were only able to get 8-10hp under these circumstances. regardless, everyone should understand that there ARE gains to be had and i would suspect 15-20hp through the entire mid range to top end on a dynojet. i'm not a firm believer in dyno numbers anyways. i'll let the track results speak for me. keep in mind what i said about vrus' tb. the conservative hp gains in no way represented how much improvement there really was...especially when the gains are spread throughout several thousand rpms instead of just peak improvements.

on a side note, the graph seems to be pointing out a new weak link. i'm in the middle of beta testing mufflers but put the oem mufflers on my custom exhaust since that's what i had for the pre cam dyno. even with all my custom exhaust work, because of the highly restrictive mufflers we seem to be losing a tiny bit on the top end. it looks as if the mufflers are good up until about 600 crank hp. after that they just can't flow. i'll keep you updated when we get a final muffler set up that works a little better.
This sounds good to me, I'd say we are good for 15-20 HP, i'd take it anyday!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as promised here are the graphs. rich at dynocomp said it's the strongest e55 he's tested and that these numbers are roughly equal to around 640 crank hp. maybe...maybe not. regardless, that's meaningless to me until i get it to the track...although i don't expect any great times until summer's over.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
15 to 20 hp for taking the head of my engine off and replacing the cams. Sounds like a lot of work to me. However, if it is going to result in meaningful consistent lower E.T. s and higher trap speeds I might have to get involved.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
I have cams available for the E55 too. Any takers??
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Adam,
Do you have pre and post dyno sheets for these cams.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Frank,

Unfortunately, i have none. Let me try to obtain one.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
you do not remove the heads to install cams.
adam, are your cams $2000 or less, same price as mb dealer slr cams?
thanks to chromikey for the info and help. keep up the good work and input.

Last edited by theboogers; 04-17-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by theboogers
you do not remove the heads to install cams.
adam, are your cams $2000 or less, same price as mb dealer slr cams?
thanks to chromikey for the info and help. keep up the good work and input.

How i wish cams were $2000 or less!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 PM

some nice cars ;)
Hi..
Correct me if i am wrong..
Does it say 408 whp? If thats the case then how can it be 640hp at the crank?
And.. the gains with the slr cams...are they the same as the kleemann's or different?
Thx.
-K
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
It reads 480whp, and depends on the dyno, mustang, dynapack, or dynojet, they all read different, and if the tuner factors in the drivetrain loss plus a low reading dyno, it's very possible that his car is cranking out 640bhp.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 PM

some nice cars ;)
OPPS..my bad..
the loss is estimated around 20%...right?
if thats the case..yes! he is above 600 at the crank!

-K
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
I have cams available for the E55 too. Any takers??
i need more info first! you know i dont want to take my car apart! but if it is realy worth it i will.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: verdict on cams