Brilliant silver vs iridium silver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Brilliant silver vs iridium silver

when did MB discontinue brilliant silver? Brilliant silver was definitely my fav silver paint of all manufacturers, maybe except for Porsche's Polar Silver metallic.

I have not seen the new Iridium Silver in person, is it similar/different from brilliant silver?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The brilliant silver is a much finer silver, with less sparkle than irridium silver. Silvers can be hard to explain in a technical paint manner. But I will try, in the paint system I use there are 5 different toners of silver, three varying in coarseness and two varying with sparkle. Brilliant silver had no sparkle and a medium to fine grade of coarseness. This will give the illusion of a lighter colored silver most of the time until you put direct sunlight on it, than it is darker or doesn't have as much sparkle as irridium. Irridium is a medium to slightly coarser silver with sparkle. If you compared the two side by side depending on the lighting you will find most obvious that irridium is slightly coarser than brilliant.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by joeacc
The brilliant silver is a much finer silver, with less sparkle than irridium silver. Silvers can be hard to explain in a technical paint manner. But I will try, in the paint system I use there are 5 different toners of silver, three varying in coarseness and two varying with sparkle. Brilliant silver had no sparkle and a medium to fine grade of coarseness. This will give the illusion of a lighter colored silver most of the time until you put direct sunlight on it, than it is darker or doesn't have as much sparkle as irridium. Irridium is a medium to slightly coarser silver with sparkle. If you compared the two side by side depending on the lighting you will find most obvious that irridium is slightly coarser than brilliant.
Side by side Iridium has more blue in it and Brilliant more gold/yellow tone, which makes it appear warmer. I prefer Brilliant Silver.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rafal
Side by side Iridium has more blue in it and Brilliant more gold/yellow tone, which makes it appear warmer. I prefer Brilliant Silver.
^ me tooo. Im really pissed off, the change in colors from 05-07 cost me $1000 vs 600 lol...

What i mean is, i ordered the e63 spoiler for my 744 brilliant silver e55. They no longer offer that color on the e63 and i basicaly had to get it custom painted. This well, it cost me like 1000. BUt damm does it look amazing... Chech it guys.... Horrible quality i know, sorry.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 PM

It costed you $1000 to paint the lip spoiler?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 PM

nah i mean final pricage