Style IV 2 piece offset change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Style IV 2 piece offset change?

Can you change the centre section of Style IV's splits for a different offset centre section - or is the offset determined by the outer rim?

Can the centre section be machined to a more positive offset ? And if so how much can be taken off and still be safe?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You can indeed shave. There is no standard amount you can shave, since the rims basically have the same face and different thicknesses of the backside to make the offsets match up. For example, if you look at the inner face of a CLS500 rim (et29), you see a huge ridge that can be shaved heavily before you begin to get into the thickness of the lugnut interface.
In my case, I ended up getting the 18X9.5et33 ones and shaved 4mm off. I've beat them up pretty good at this point with no cracking or anything. My main concern each time was maintaining the lugnut interface strength. The part you shave has NOTHING to do with integrity of the wheel face. Also, I paid more and took mine to an engineer that has built many race rims, so we sort of made the decision together.

Stay safe and enjoy!!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Well thast great news - and advice ... I wonder - fender roll or skim the rim ???

I also need to find an engineering shop to do this / either in the UK - I know they exist - just dont know how to track them down !!!

EDIT: Found one who will do the fenders ... they also suggested taking slightly more camber on the rears as an alternative if there is only a very marginal clearance ... all being done / reviewed 1st May ... lets see.

Last edited by stevebez; 04-27-2007 at 09:11 AM.