Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Catalytic Converters in CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Catalytic Converters in CA

I am the original owner of a 2000 E55 with cats that sound like a box of rocks! It started at right around 80k miles (right at the ^$*&%$ warranty limit). They have just gotten noisier and louder since. Now up to 102,000 miles. They also feel like they are effecting performance. Mainly in the mid-throttle range. The dealer is quoting me like $5,000+ to replace both of them!! How rediculous is that? I'm thinking someone on this site must have an alternate solution. I NEED HELP Any cat suppliers on-line just refer me to the crook dealers because I'm in CA. Is there an out-of-state solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by E55man
I am the original owner of a 2000 E55 with cats that sound like a box of rocks! It started at right around 80k miles (right at the ^$*&%$ warranty limit). They have just gotten noisier and louder since. Now up to 102,000 miles. They also feel like they are effecting performance. Mainly in the mid-throttle range. The dealer is quoting me like $5,000+ to replace both of them!! How rediculous is that? I'm thinking someone on this site must have an alternate solution. I NEED HELP Any cat suppliers on-line just refer me to the crook dealers because I'm in CA. Is there an out-of-state solution?

Thanks in advance.
If you're out of warranty, then buy new catalytic midpipes from a dealer parts department (especially if you can get it from a dealer at a slight discount), then take them to a local muffler shop and have them swap them out at a lower labor rate. I think the quote you received is a bit steep, especially on labor. I think most dealers charge $125/hr on labor. A local shop won't be as much.

Last edited by pshek; 04-24-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM

???

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Maybe I wasn't clear enough initially. Basically the majority of the cost in that $5,000+ price I mentioned was part cost. They quoted me something like $2,400 each for replacement cats plus labor to install. Are you suggesting pulling out the cat assemblies, modifying them and reinstalling them? I think they're bolt-ons right now (they've never been touched).

Anyway, thanks again. If you can clarify I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Look into metal'cat or a similar product. They will last a lot longer, flow better and cost a whole lot less.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
If $2400 for each side is what they're quoting you for parts, then I would just buy a metal substrate cat like others have suggested. $2400 for each side just seems ridiculous to me.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for your response. Do you have any experience with the ins and outs of doing this in CA? Or which metalcat to specify? I think my exhaust is 3-inch but I haven't crawled underneath to verify. I believe CA law says it is illegal for any shop to remove and/or alter the cat from the car. But I'm thinking if I unbolt the cat assembly and have the metalcat fitted into the assembly by an exhaust shop and then bolt it back up, no harm no foul. One other question is regarding the O2 sensors on the cat assembly. Will the non-OEM cat (metal'cat) cause any differences in what the O2 sensors report to the cpu thereby causing other issues?

Thanks Again.