Sponsored by:

Oily Intake!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Exclamation Oily Intake!!!

Recently installed phenolic spacers on the E55 and my SRT8. I have noticed that both vehicles "PUFF" a bit of blue smoke occassionally, upon start up. The E55 had oil on the surge tank mating surfaces and heads. It was evident in the ports by the oily discoloration. My SRT8 was very oily and upon removing the manifold oil literally bled out......and was cooked at the bottom interior surface of the manifold. Recently as the phenolic kit hit the market more and more reports have surfaced of the oil in the intake track of the SRT8. All of this is due to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.

I did some research and this is common on high performance motors especially turbo and blown motors. I called EVOSport to see if they sold a oil seperator or catch can and they said they had not heard of this......of course I stated how many phenolic spacers do customers actually install?

My point here is, it seems there is oil in the intake track and subsequently the intake charge is mixed with oil.....this is not good...especially as the motor gets hotter....and i need to research the design of the positive crankcase ventilation system on the E55. Oil in the intake charge will stick to the intake valve, gumming it up and it will cause detonation!! The Ford Lighting also has a severe problem with oil eventually soaking the inside of the blower and intercooler.

Again, just an obsevation based on the so often puff of blue, some oil in the intake when i replaced my throttle body and the evidence of the oil in the surge tanks and head intake surface. Obviously few have brought this issue up but it is happening and is common with the hotter running engines and lighter oils.

I believe a GReddy oil seperator will solve this.

Just some articles of others with this issue.

http://www.hondapoint.com/forum/hond...install-b.html

http://www.lnsauto.com/articles/ford..._article.shtml

Last edited by sgtstanko; 04-25-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
search some of the threads around here discussing vacuum pumps. i'm interested but i hate being the guinea pig.