W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Impressions from solo test drive of E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:42 AM

06 SL600
Impressions from solo test drive of E63

I ordered (dealer swap for car in production at the time) a Black on Black E63 with the 030 PP + Panorama (every 030available had the panorama) and lots more and the dealer had an E63 come in 2 weeks ago which I thoroughly test drove alone. I sold my SL55 a while ago and currently still have my winter car (Audi A6 4.2) which may go after I get the E63 (Shipped from Germany yesterday apparently (will know today). Initially the first impression is that it doesn't have the explosive torque of the supercharged engine but as revs climb I noticed much more high end power. I love acceleration but to me the 1/4 mile, while important, is secondary to what the car does underway and on track (not drag strip). Compared to the SL it handled significantly better and felt light. I can't wait to get mine with the 030 where the suspension is approximately 20% stiffer. I felt the regular E63 could use firmer dampening. It was very responsive and the balance between ride and handling was very good. I think for me the 030 will be excellent. The tires, BTW, on the 030 are slightly different with an XL marking for extra load (told to me by an AMG rep).

Back to the E63: having driven the E55 I can say that the power delivery is much more linear and useful. I would say that on any race track the E63 would be the clear winner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the E55 down just giving my impressions and I like the E55. I have driven many different cars on track and find that for a midsize car the E63 is fabulous and will be even better with the 030. The LSD that comes with this pkg may even get me to Englishtown someday. While not pushing the brand new car too hard I had to see a little smoke from the tires and it did it pretty easily eventhough by no means like my Sl55. I didn't really try too hard but my impression I think is valid.

Overall I think the E63 is fantastic. The 7 gears really make a difference and the shift was the best i have ever come across on an automatic. The handling was better than I thought and with the 030 should be stronger competition for the M5 in this dept. Everything else is better in the E63 (vs M5) for me.

My car should be delivered before the end o the month with the possibilty of mid month the last I heard. I can't wait. If I get rid of the Audi I'll just have to put 4 winter tires on it with different wheels as the AMG 2 piece are so beautiful and light I'd hate to use them in the snow.

Has anyone gotten an E63 or any Benz recently with TPMS? It's an unknown but they are phasing it out. What a shame.

In the meantime if anyone gets an E63 with the 030 pls share your impressions with us. The wait is really getting to me.

Last edited by pablo4.2; 05-02-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: forgot one item
Old 05-05-2007 | 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by pablo4.2
I ordered (dealer swap for car in production at the time) a Black on Black E63 with the 030 PP + Panorama (every 030available had the panorama) and lots more and the dealer had an E63 come in 2 weeks ago which I thoroughly test drove alone. I sold my SL55 a while ago and currently still have my winter car (Audi A6 4.2) which may go after I get the E63 (Shipped from Germany yesterday apparently (will know today). Initially the first impression is that it doesn't have the explosive torque of the supercharged engine but as revs climb I noticed much more high end power. I love acceleration but to me the 1/4 mile, while important, is secondary to what the car does underway and on track (not drag strip). Compared to the SL it handled significantly better and felt light. I can't wait to get mine with the 030 where the suspension is approximately 20% stiffer. I felt the regular E63 could use firmer dampening. It was very responsive and the balance between ride and handling was very good. I think for me the 030 will be excellent. The tires, BTW, on the 030 are slightly different with an XL marking for extra load (told to me by an AMG rep).

Back to the E63: having driven the E55 I can say that the power delivery is much more linear and useful. I would say that on any race track the E63 would be the clear winner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the E55 down just giving my impressions and I like the E55. I have driven many different cars on track and find that for a midsize car the E63 is fabulous and will be even better with the 030. The LSD that comes with this pkg may even get me to Englishtown someday. While not pushing the brand new car too hard I had to see a little smoke from the tires and it did it pretty easily eventhough by no means like my Sl55. I didn't really try too hard but my impression I think is valid.

Overall I think the E63 is fantastic. The 7 gears really make a difference and the shift was the best i have ever come across on an automatic. The handling was better than I thought and with the 030 should be stronger competition for the M5 in this dept. Everything else is better in the E63 (vs M5) for me.

My car should be delivered before the end o the month with the possibilty of mid month the last I heard. I can't wait. If I get rid of the Audi I'll just have to put 4 winter tires on it with different wheels as the AMG 2 piece are so beautiful and light I'd hate to use them in the snow.

Has anyone gotten an E63 or any Benz recently with TPMS? It's an unknown but they are phasing it out. What a shame.

In the meantime if anyone gets an E63 with the 030 pls share your impressions with us. The wait is really getting to me.

YOU are going to LOVE the six three, LOVE IT
Old 05-05-2007 | 01:26 PM

2013 CLS63 2004 S55
Sorry, I don't see either the 55 or 63 as a track car

unless its an oval. I understand your points about linear power and better gearing, but on a tight track, the little coupes win. We have heavy sport-lux sedans. That said, a black on black pano E63 will be a beauty.
Old 05-05-2007 | 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by pablo4.2

Pablo, do you have an ETA on your E63 /030 package?

Old 05-08-2007 | 07:49 AM

06 SL600
5/21. I was away for a bit.

Take care.

Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Pablo, do you have an ETA on your E63 /030 package?

Old 05-08-2007 | 07:55 AM

06 SL600
As long as the pwr/wt ratio is up there I would agree (with the 030 a lot of the size issue is made up). I was comparing it with an E55.

Originally Posted by NGS_E55
unless its an oval. I understand your points about linear power and better gearing, but on a tight track, the little coupes win. We have heavy sport-lux sedans. That said, a black on black pano E63 will be a beauty.