Wetterauer SL55 is a beast!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Wetterauer SL55 is a beast!

Remapped and some other tweaks and my friend says its a friggin freight train ... this is with the ASP pulley already installed.

What is weird is he says he is getting 24-25 MPG on the freeway at 65/70mph..!!!

Says it got to 293km/h in no time before he had to back off and where it was still pulling strong (obviously delimited). These German tuners are on the ball thats for sure ... says revs much more freely in higher rev range.

I'll be getting a tune soon - stay posted...!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Tell him to dyno the car...and what other tweak he got ???

Just ECU dont make that much of difference...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 Yugo
I don't know about that 24/25 mpg at 65/70 mph because my E350 gets about 18 mpg cruising at 80 at like 1600 rpm
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well he just called me from his car on the way back for Wetterauer and thats what he also was surprised with ... this included the blast to 293km/h btw ... so its a little freaky - I really hope he is not massively leaned out now ... anyhow we shall see ... it is a very long trip ... from Wetterauer HQ near Nurburgring to London.

He explained something about two valves by the inlet manifold (one each side) under engine cover that have springs - these are changed to stifffer S/S units and app worth 20-30 hp on their own ... I have no idea what they are - have not looked at my car to understand it but when I see his car I will be sure to see what was done - and take pics!!!

18MPG on a 350 is cr*p frankly - I get 21+ on freeway at 75... including some short stabs of the right foot. Maybe its an imperial vs US gallon thing ...?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 AM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by stevebez
He explained something about two valves by the inlet manifold (one each side) under engine cover that have springs - these are changed to stifffer S/S units and app worth 20-30 hp on their own ... I have no idea what they are - have not looked at my car to understand it but when I see his car I will be sure to see what was done - and take pics!!!
This sounds like a reference to the mysterious valve(s) underneath where the throttle body bolts up that was discussed here some time back. Wetterauer told some poster about how they used the valve(s) to increase power, and Vadim initially said he didn't think there were any such valves, but later discovered one and posted a pic of it. I wish someone would do a before and after dyno with Wetterauer's setup and see if their numbers are accurate (their Sportversion II package claims 598hp/703ft lbs, and I'm pretty sure that's just pulley, tune, and whatever they're doing with these valves, without any exhaust or internal engine mods).
Old 05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pulley, ECU, "valves" - thats it as far as I know ....

I dont think there is any TB and definitely no headers ...

I'll make sure and let you guys know ...

What was interesting is that he said the power delivery was seamless and smoother ? which is also wierd given the ASP which is a little sharp when engaging ...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
The 2 valves under the engine cover that Steve is talking about are the EGR valves.. They are for emission control... They are the 2 circular shaped, bronzy coloured pieces that sit at the front of the engine on either side of the S/C..

I really dont know why changing the springs in those 2 devices would increase power??? Maybe to allow them to stay closed longer before bypassing??

The valve that you are referring to is a single opening which is under the S/C inlet and runs between inlet & intercooler. There is another "TB" positioned down there which bleeds boost.

My car is having an Intercooler and S/C inlet installed with NO BYPASS valve. I'll report back on what the outcome is once I've had a chance to test it.

Apparently, once the car goes over 640hp the bypass valve makes the car very jerky to drive. Reportedly, eliminating it makes the car much more responsive and powerful.

There has been a SL55 in Germany with this setup for the past 18months and its pushing 700hp so I know it can be done.. Now I just need to prove it on my own car.

Originally Posted by R. Range
This sounds like a reference to the mysterious valve(s) underneath where the throttle body bolts up that was discussed here some time back. Wetterauer told some poster about how they used the valve(s) to increase power, and Vadim initially said he didn't think there were any such valves, but later discovered one and posted a pic of it. I wish someone would do a before and after dyno with Wetterauer's setup and see if their numbers are accurate (their Sportversion II package claims 598hp/703ft lbs, and I'm pretty sure that's just pulley, tune, and whatever they're doing with these valves, without any exhaust or internal engine mods).
Old 05-04-2007, 10:19 AM

1973 Yugo
yeah I don't what's going on with my mileage either but maybe you're right and there is like a transfer rate like with money and VRUS I admire how you test everything on your car even when it's experimental
you've got *****
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Thanks!!

The only true way to know if something works is to try it unfortunately..

You either have to be willing to experiment, or you wait for a trusted source to do it, and then follow their lead.

Originally Posted by cicbenz
VRUS I admire how you test everything on your car even when it's experimental
you've got *****
Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Originally Posted by cicbenz
I don't know about that 24/25 mpg at 65/70 mph because my E350 gets about 18 mpg cruising at 80 at like 1600 rpm
something may be wrong with your e350. when I had my 05 E500 on long trips from N.CA to S.CA rolling at 90-110 was getting consistently over 22+
Old 05-04-2007, 01:25 PM

'10 E63
Interesting stuff Vrus; thanks for the clarification. And keep us posted.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
The 2 valves under the engine cover that Steve is talking about are the EGR valves.. They are for emission control... They are the 2 circular shaped, bronzy coloured pieces that sit at the front of the engine on either side of the S/C..

I really dont know why changing the springs in those 2 devices would increase power??? Maybe to allow them to stay closed longer before bypassing??

The valve that you are referring to is a single opening which is under the S/C inlet and runs between inlet & intercooler. There is another "TB" positioned down there which bleeds boost.

My car is having an Intercooler and S/C inlet installed with NO BYPASS valve. I'll report back on what the outcome is once I've had a chance to test it.

Apparently, once the car goes over 640hp the bypass valve makes the car very jerky to drive. Reportedly, eliminating it makes the car much more responsive and powerful.

There has been a SL55 in Germany with this setup for the past 18months and its pushing 700hp so I know it can be done.. Now I just need to prove it on my own car.

+1
Old 05-04-2007, 05:38 PM

1973 Yugo
Originally Posted by vrus
Thanks!!

The only true way to know if something works is to try it unfortunately..

You either have to be willing to experiment, or you wait for a trusted source to do it, and then follow their lead.
Your welcome, and that's what i'm doing with my E350 and teh turbo but seriously I cant wait til the day I can get my E55 and put VRP tuning parts on it
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 PM

1973 Yugo
Originally Posted by baldmike73
something may be wrong with your e350. when I had my 05 E500 on long trips from N.CA to S.CA rolling at 90-110 was getting consistently over 22+
Maybe but it's also very strong for a sixxer, or maybe it's my led foot
I'll get it checked out soon though because it is kinda worrying me