Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Rock,
Is this the fastest time that you have achieved with your car? Although your MPH is lower, I think your ETs drop drastically. Typically, as your ETs drop so will your MPH. I do not know the technical reason for this, but I have experienced it.
my point exactly...and why we need to see the rest of his timeslips. there may not be a damn thing wrong (besides the recent cel of course).
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Audi S4,'04 E55 AMG,'05 Audi A4
Originally Posted by vrus

There is no way an airbox that is bigger in volume on a F.I. car will cause a 4mph drop.. It just isnt going to happen. On a N.A. car, the design and airflow path of an airbox is very critical because if air velocity drops or becomes too turbulent, it will affect power.. On a F.I. car, its just a matter of forcing as much air in as possible.. The air path on this box is very smooth.. No sharp bends anywhere and a significant increase in volume..
This is generally true, however when you make changes in the "middle" of an intake system without taking into account where the intake air is coming through you can actually cause turbulence within the system(this does effect F.I. cars too, not as badly - and definetly not 40HP badly ).

Its one thing to test the flow-through of the box by forcing air into it, but the real test on forced induction cars are actually "sucking" the air through the box, with a manometer in place to test the pressure drop (and the full intake system in place.)

BTW I am in no way saying this is the case with the box, though I'd like to see some numbers (before and after) if ya have them.

Open up the front intake pipes In most cases you will create less work for the supercharger (this is the case for load-controlled ECUs, anyhow...), boost output will usually drop a little bit, your intake charge temps will drop a little, which will help with your timing curve, etc etc.

Last edited by zapco98; 05-08-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Mikey and Sleeper, you guys may be correct but I'll be surprised if it's just because I "hooked up better."

After I had the TB installed I made three consecutive runs with trap speeds of 124.3+ with DGs and the car was spinning its tires almost all the way down the track. It was a much more violent acceleration then I experienced on Saturday. I ran a second time on Saturday with ESP off and ran 12.5 @ 120mph with a 2.3sec, 60ft time. I haven't trapped that slow since K2 was installed.

No, I'm sticking to the story that something is wrong and my car is still the most powerful E55 on earth.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Thanks for the insite.. I appreciate your input.

Originally Posted by zapco98
This is generally true, however when you make changes in the "middle" of an intake system without taking into account where the intake air is coming through you can actually cause turbulence within the system(this does effect F.I. cars too, not as badly - and definetly not 40HP badly ).

Its one thing to test the flow-through of the box by forcing air into it, but the real test on forced induction cars are actually "sucking" the air through the box, with a manometer in place to test the pressure drop (and the full intake system in place.)

BTW I am in no way saying this is the case with the box, though I'd like to see some numbers (before and after) if ya have them.

Open up the front intake pipes In most cases you will create less work for the supercharger (this is the case for load-controlled ECUs, anyhow...), boost output will usually drop a little bit, your intake charge temps will drop a little, which will help with your timing curve, etc etc.
Yup.. I agree.. I think even though the numbers coincide.. your car will be even stronger once the CEL is resolved...

Dave.. All I know is that you have a strong car as it is... and it can only get better.. I've talked to your tech a few times in the past and he is a good guy.. I have no doubt he will take care of it for you. In the meatime, if you need me, you know how to get a hold of me.

Originally Posted by Rock
Mikey and Sleeper, you guys may be correct but I'll be surprised if it's just because I "hooked up better."

After I had the TB installed I made three consecutive runs with trap speeds of 124.3+ with DGs and the car was spinning its tires almost all the way down the track. It was a much more violent acceleration then I experienced on Saturday. I ran a second time on Saturday with ESP off and ran 12.5 @ 120mph with a 2.3sec, 60ft time. I haven't trapped that slow since K2 was installed.

No, I'm sticking to the story that something is wrong and my car is still the most powerful E55 on earth.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 PM

E55 AMG

Nice!!!!!

....I was having a bad evening until I read your post!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
UPDATE

I just got back from my dealer and apparently there was a problem that may have affected my runs at the track.

The CEL came on because of a bad intake pressure sensor. I'm told a bad sensor will cause step-back of the SC to protect the engine. They ordered a new one and it will be installed next week.

For the gearheads here, this was the readout:
Code: P2007-008
Text: B28 (Pressure sensor) : Signal implausible

As soon as I get things back in working order we'll give Vic's box another go.

Have a good day everyone!!!

Last edited by Rock; 05-10-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
UPDATE

Gawd. Even the error codes have a German attitude.

"I see your signal, but I find it a bit..........implausible. You go to zee shop now."
Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Dave, my friend, do you know what this means?? You slammed off an 11.7 pass when your car's A/F was all out of whack and it was down on power. The ECU uses the MAP sensor for its timing & fuel adjustments so it should be an interesting run once that is replaced.

Do I see a 127mph pass coming??

Good luck my friend!! Cant wait to see the results!!!!

UPDATE

I just got back from my dealer and apparently there was a problem that may have affected my runs at the track.

The CEL came on because of a bad intake pressure sensor. I'm told a bad sensor will cause step back the SC to protect the engine. They ordered a new one and it will be installed next week.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Rock thats good bad news!
One other though I don't know if the fuel system in our cars returns any fuel to the tank or not, but if it dose a certain amount of heating to the fuel will occur (in a 45min run). Anybody know or have thoughts on this?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
We have a return-less system. Thats the main reason we cant put a FPR on these cars..

As for cooling.. YES.. You are right.. The fuel gets heated up quite a bit in our cars and is a definite power robber.

I'll post some pics when I get home of a couple of "coolers" that I have..

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Rock thats good bad news!
One other though I don't know if the fuel system in our cars returns any fuel to the tank or not, but if it dose a certain amount of heating to the fuel will occur (in a 45min run). Anybody know or have thoughts on this?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
UPDATE

The CEL came on because of a bad intake pressure sensor. I'm told a bad sensor will cause step-back of the SC to protect the engine. They ordered a new one and it will be installed next week.

Good news! I can't wait to see the new results.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Vrus you have so many parts maybe you should just create your own engine and drivetrain and be done with it.

Originally Posted by vrus
We have a return-less system. Thats the main reason we cant put a FPR on these cars..

As for cooling.. YES.. You are right.. The fuel gets heated up quite a bit in our cars and is a definite power robber.

I'll post some pics when I get home of a couple of "coolers" that I have..
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Rock I have also had that code and have had the CEL on.

It was weird because I would be driving along and would feel the car hiccup. No hard accel or anything. Then the CEL. I went out of town and drove my other car and then came home and took the car to the dealer. On the way there the CEL went off. They did not replace the sensor but instead cleared the codes(lazy I guess)

This has happend once more also. Same exact thing. The car felt like it had lost power though.

I wonder what is the cause of this issue? Is it the pressure sensor itself or is it a reading of too much pressure? Maybe more boost.

Note my car has only a Vrus TB and airbox

edit : I just double checked and its the exact same code. SA says the sensor passed test 5 times.

B28 pressure sensor Code 2007-008.

Where is this pressure sensor and what does it do?

Last edited by Mad TKD; 05-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Rock I have also had that code and have had the CEL on.

It was weird because I would be driving along and would feel the car hiccup. No hard accel or anything. Then the CEL. I went out of town and drove my other car and then came home and took the car to the dealer. On the way there the CEL went off. They did not replace the sensor but instead cleared the codes(lazy I guess)

This has happend once more also. Same exact thing. The car felt like it had lost power though.

I wonder what is the cause of this issue? Is it the pressure sensor itself or is it a reading of too much pressure? Maybe more boost.

Note my car has only a Vrus TB and airbox

edit : I just double checked and its the exact same code. SA says the sensor passed test 5 times.

B28 pressure sensor Code 2007-008.

Where is this pressure sensor and what does it do?
anyone else with the vrus air box havin these codes thrown?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Rocket

Just to be clear here My car did not have the airbox on it when the code was thrown.

My car did have the vrus 80mm TB though and thats it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Rocket

Just to be clear here My car did not have the airbox on it when the code was thrown.

My car did have the vrus 80mm TB though and thats it.
thats good to know! i was gettin worried for a second. still waitin on my air box!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
UPDATE

Did you get this taken care of yet Rock? Curious to see if you made it out to the track again or not.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
I did get the car repaired but I have not had a chance to return to the track. I will update this thread as soon as I do.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:53 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat
I did get the car repaired but I have not had a chance to return to the track. I will update this thread as soon as I do.