W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLR Cams- installed this weekend, WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
SLR Cams- installed this weekend, WOW!!!

Well after a long wait I got to finally installing the SLR cams in my car and all I can say is WOW!!! The car is a true beast no BS here, took a while but very worth it. This is definitely not for the unskilled Technician. I have a very good friend that does all my modification, he is a very skilled MB tech with over 20 years on his belt, knows the engine inside out, like many here. I also want to thank Michael (chiromickey) for the 1.5mm spacers and instal write up, Jackpro for the good advice on what is needed, and BenzGal for the great deal, bought the cams from her.

Now to the car... , After install the car definitely is more aggresive, it feels like the front wants to rip off from all the power, torque what ever you want to call it . When I test drove it I think it was braking the tires loose all the way up to 50 MPH when mashed. It seems to pull very hard after the 3000 rpm range all the way through. My but dyno tells me I gained a good 25-30 HP , very nice upgrade. In the beginning a bit of surges and it seemed the car was iddling very hard, that has calmed down after driving it, My tech said this would calm down after the computer learned, and it did. I still have stock cooling circuits, pump, heat exchanger so eventually this will kill me with that big phat ASP pulley and kleeman headers, lol All i am missing is the custom intercooler and will run most likely the 2 Pumps. I have a high flow johnson pump that I have not yet installed, waiting for the Intercooler, The 80 MM TB and finally a super nice tune. That should build my dream car for now...heheh. K4 here I come....I can't wait to go to E-town.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
congrats and enjoy the new mods!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a very enviable setup you've got going on there. I'm jealous. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
This is definitely not for the unskilled Technician. I have a very good friend that does all my modification, he is a very skilled MB tech with over 20 years on his belt, knows the engine inside out, like many here.from her.
This would'nt be Jeffrey M. would it?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Congrats and nice write-up!!! I think you might have convinced me that I should get those SLR cams.. You should head back down to E-town before the weather gets too warm.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Wow!!

I am excited for you. Sounds like a monster.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
wow very intresting now 1/4 miles ? maybe dyno ? congrats on new mod !
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Does anyone have any before and after dynos (pre and post SLR cams) that they can post? Also does anyone have any before and after (pre and post SLR cams) timeslips.. I realize that different factors can affect dyno and 1/4 mile times, such as weather, other mods, etc. It would be helpful if someone can post dyno graphs or timeslips before and after under similiar conditions and with no other mods... Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Does anyone have any before and after dynos (pre and post SLR cams) that they can post? Also does anyone have any before and after (pre and post SLR cams) timeslips.. I realize that different factors can affect dyno and 1/4 mile times, such as weather, other mods, etc. It would be helpful if someone can post dyno graphs or timeslips before and after under similiar conditions and with no other mods... Thanks
i've posted both dyno and 1/4mile results somewhere around here.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
sick wit it!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
MIG-E55 Rocket,
How about a trip to E-town tomorrow night?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I envy you..
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
PROJECT C55[This would'nt be Jeffrey M. would it?]

Yes he is, that boy was made to unscrew engine, very skilled. you should know that by now, he did your 5.5 conversion, hehehe

Thank you all for the input, but I am telling you just have to try them yourself. Sleeper X..pull the trigger you will love them, heheh

Sorry no Dynos, only Butt dynos, but I could tell the difference between 20 to 30 HP, when I had the ASP pulleys alone it was a very big difference then combined it with the Headers and it was night and day, then came the banging cams, I was like WOW!! It is like an icing on the cake, can't picture how it will be with the TB at this point I am just pleased. The TB will be the cherry I guess along with the ECU. Now picture when our cars get the cooling upgrade, I don't think power will increase it will just remain constant power without the Heat soaking factor, maximizing every ponny out there you could tell after a few runs the car isn't just as responsive as that first drive. At least that is the issue for now with the heat soak factor.

Sleeper X, I know you are trying to seduce me into going to E-town tomorrow to see truly how many MPH I will gain huh???, hehehe very wise, I can't tomorrow as I have finals this whole week, but saturday is a different story I should be up for it early and head back at 12, like always, let me know. In respect to dynos it would not be worth it at this point, car will just show a loss probably due to the heat soak issue, it is just not worth it, after I install the custom cooler I will get you a pure dyno sheet then we know where we stand.

Again go out there and try this...not the cheapest mod, but a world of a difference at least to me, I am sure Jackpro and Chiromickey could chime in.

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 05-08-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I think it's 3 things for me.

To know that I have parts from the mighty SLR in my car's blood

To feel the improved upper and mid range

To know that AMG/Benz Corporate is both furious, yet strangely interested that these things work in our cars.

Glad everything worked out on the install!!

Don't forget, whoever does this....GET THEM SPACERS!!!

Ask any of us about them and we can give you the scoop!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Congrats!!!! There are 10 people that I know of now roaming around on this board with 55's that have SLR cams in them... If you havent already done it, get yourself an 80mm TB... It really wakes the car up even more..

I am sure AMG Germany is scratching their heads wondering why so many SLRs are breaking down and needing cam replacements..

Everyone can thank Jim (JakPro1 ) for having the guts and determination to get them installed and working..

And you can all thank Michael (Chiromikey) for coming up with a clean solution for making them fit..

Hats off to both of you!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
This thread bring me tears of joy and jealousy! I had those babies in my hands and let them go cheap. Congrats!

I am working on a project that will accomplish the same thing for a third of the price without going into the internals. When I am done I will fill you guys in. I didn't sell the CAMS for that reason, but it's nice to have the money to pursue a faster baby.

Follow Vic's advice on the TB!

Mikey and Jim,
Glad to see you mod freaks are still at it. I haven't had time to go on much.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Angela!! Missed you around here.. Hope you are doing well and cant wait to see that crazy project of yours!

Did you end up getting the "car" that you told me about?

Originally Posted by BENZGal
This thread bring me tears of joy and jealousy! I had those babies in my hands and let them go cheap. Congrats!

I am working on a project that will accomplish the same thing for a third of the price without going into the internals. When I am done I will fill you guys in. I didn't sell the CAMS for that reason, but it's nice to have the money to pursue a faster baby.

Follow Vic's advice on the TB!

Mikey and Jim,
Glad to see you mod freaks are still at it. I haven't had time to go on much.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hi Ang!!!

Can't wait for the day you unveil to new monster!!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Victor,
Life is going good thank you. I just haven't had much free time latley. My boyfriend is creating a mod for me that will give me more power off the line without going into the internals. When I am done I will share it with you guys. He is also going to get me new leather paddles that will be hand stiched by AMG. Since I'm not a CF interior girl, it will match the wheel and and make me happy. I miss reading your evil genius threads Vic. LOL

Jim,
I need a few more pennies in the piggybank to start the build. After all the pennies have been collected, my goal is to pick out all the parts and mods. I am opting for pink seats. LOL j/k There are restrictions on bringing it over as a daily driver darn it. I just might have to move to Germany.

Sorry to go off topic Mig..happy for you buddy. Now go get the TB.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM

2003 E55 K1
Question

Interesting, but wouldn't a pulley and ECU give more horsepower and be less intrusive than an SLR cam?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Coalman
Interesting, but wouldn't a pulley and ECU give more horsepower and be less intrusive than an SLR cam?
Yes but what if you already have a pulley and ECU?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:14 PM

2003 E55 K1
Smile

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Yes but what if you already have a pulley and ECU?
Then I guess it makes sense. When I first read post I thought caption under picture said car was "bone stock". I now realize he had already done pulley and ECU, as well as other mods. So I guess cams are next. One thing I learned years ago with 60 muscle cars (and I know times have changed) is that you have to match induction with exhaust. So if you went with higher lift and duration cams, you needed to add a larger carb and headers. Guys who just went with one side or the other usually ended up worse than stock.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Hey Guys...what's Popin...!! he he I am here at work and just itching to go drive lol!...

Vrus- Don't worry the TB is coming, I need to take a rest, just ask Angela all the fuss about hidding this little cosmetics upgrades to my car without my wife knowing this...lol, man what a joke...

Jackpro- Again brother, thank you for you going all out on this , you are the master of this and the Pioneer.

Angela- how could I thank you...wait I did, I wired some money... , but really thank you for everything. I won't say anything but I smell a DTM.... when you do your upgrades please do share as I am a Modaholic now...

Coalman- I removed all mods from my Sig as you always want to go under the "Sleeper status", who better to fit this than Mr. Sleeper X himself, man when I saw his car looked like it just came off the show room, but boy did he lay the smackdown of course at that time I only had the pulley but man that thing could move , but as of now I do have a ASP pulleys, Kleeman headers, & SLR cams, soon the TB along with the ECU. God will tell me what else after that, heheheh,lol!!

Chiro- Thank you for the spacers, you don't know how much that little piece is worth, without it my engine would have been a mess....

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 05-08-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 PM

2003 E55 K1
By the way, how much can you mod these cars before you have to beef up the tranny? Is the S65 tranny the same as the E55? If so I already know the answer.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey angela,

it's about time you poked your pretty head in here. girls with secrets always get me excited...especially when that secret has to to with cars and more power!!!

i have to pass the appreciation for the spacers to jackpro...he's the man that enabled the rest of us to move forward when others said it couldn't/shouldn't be done.

and victor...to much to list but where would we be without him!!!

group hug anyone...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR Cams- installed this weekend, WOW!!!