Sponsored by:

Abused by a modified Cobra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55
Abused by a modified Cobra

Just had a very impromptu run with a modified 03-04ish Mustang Cobra. The guy said he had pulleys, exhaust, ECU, and quite a few other goodies (can't remember the rest, but he said the S/C was stock). We ran from about 20-100. He got a 1-2 car jump on me when we started. I got about 1/2 that back by 70 +/-, and from 70-100 he put another 1-2 on me before we hit some traffic.

Would a pulley and headers on the beast have likely evened the score?

BTW the car indicated that it was just over 90 outside, I had a very heavy briefcase with me, and my car was filthy, so the odds were stacked against me from the start.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Hazy1
I had a very heavy briefcase with me, and my car was filthy, so the odds were stacked against me from the start.
Right that!!!

I've had my *** handed to me before but never when my car was clean.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a very heavy briefcase with me, and my car was filthy, so the odds were stacked against me from the start.
Heh, best line in the post.

Yeah, pulleys and headers should net you another 50-70hp easily. I think it would've evened things out
Old 05-12-2007, 02:53 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Definitely with pulley/headers it would have been a much better race for you. I just raced a similar car the other night and I pulled on him convincingly
Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Start by taking advantage of free horsepower and throw the briefcase out the window. You can come back for it after the race.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Hazy1, check you PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hell of a thing....gettin killed.

A man takes away all you've got, and all you're ever gonna be.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 05-12-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Terminators respond very well to mods. That guy was probably running anywhere from 420-480 rwhp.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:36 PM

'03 E55
So far, its my 1st loss to anything on 4 wheels, but not many opportunities jump up around here. I soundly defeated a stock-sounding/looking Cobra last year, so I was somewhat surprised by this one. I beat a Harley not too long ago, but was left wondering where the guy on the green Ninja dissapeared to a few weeks ago.

Just an hour prior to running the Cobra, I came up on a Black M6 and was ready to go, but when I pulled beside it, I kinda figured the 60 year old woman wouldn't want to run me with her grandchild in the car. Do you guys ever attempt to provoke races with women, young or older (No offense BenzGal).
Old 05-12-2007, 03:43 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Start by taking advantage of free horsepower and throw the briefcase out the window. You can come back for it after the race.
I would've, but in my experience, those briefcases stuffed full of cash grow legs and become hard to relocate. Now if it was just work B/S, that's another story.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
So far, its my 1st loss to anything on 4 wheels, but not many opportunities jump up around here. I soundly defeated a stock-sounding/looking Cobra last year, so I was somewhat surprised by this one. I beat a Harley not too long ago, but was left wondering where the guy on the green Ninja dissapeared to a few weeks ago.

Just an hour prior to running the Cobra, I came up on a Black M6 and was ready to go, but when I pulled beside it, I kinda figured the 60 year old woman wouldn't want to run me with her grandchild in the car. Do you guys ever attempt to provoke races with women, young or older (No offense BenzGal).
My wife gets kids in their imports all the time riding her bumper on the hiway.If shes in the mood she will nail it&walk away most of the time.She has a lil bit of a temper
Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
My first loss was to a forest green 4.6 Stang w/ a aftermarket blower w/ plates "BLOWN"...I was pissed. He also had a stacked car w/ 4 people. I was stock then. He pulled 2 cars on me. My wife was in the car and was like WTF just happened, how did we lose. I was like...wanna go trade it in or can I mod this thing.

Then at MIR in 2003 I got beat by a 460rwhp one that went 11.6@120 and I went 12.2@115 stock. They are fast and respond well.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if you are willling to dish out punishment, you have to deal with getting punched back.

Cobras are so easy to modify and the guy really knew how to drive his car.

from a dig.. it would be closer. From a roll.. it all depends on your power band.

Next try at a higher speed.

ASP pulley would be the cheap and fast solution. NO ecu required. But ECU tuning is preferred.

Also, try working on a coolin' mods (fan, intercooler pump).

Also look for a sprint booster.. you would be surprised how much more responsive your E55 will be.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by TopGun32
if you are willling to dish out punishment, you have to deal with getting punched back.

Cobras are so easy to modify and the guy really knew how to drive his car.

from a dig.. it would be closer. From a roll.. it all depends on your power band.

Next try at a higher speed.

ASP pulley would be the cheap and fast solution. NO ecu required. But ECU tuning is preferred.

Also, try working on a coolin' mods (fan, intercooler pump).

Also look for a sprint booster.. you would be surprised how much more responsive your E55 will be.

Don't mind getting punched at all, just happy to find someone wanting to fight.

He suggested running from 40 +/-, but with traffic, we had to slow down more to give a little running room. If I had the time, would loved to have tried several different runs from different speeds, but the way he was pulling on me over 70, I don't know if it would have been much different.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Do you guys ever attempt to provoke races with women, young or older (No offense BenzGal).
Hehe.....funny you ask!!

So I'm driving home late (8:00pm) a few nights ago and as I merge on to Interstate 71 (Ohio) I see in the distance a white car with a wide rear-end. From my view it looked like a modified Lexus 350 but something just didn't jive. With a firm depression of the go-fast pedal I soon draw closer to my prey only to be delighted by what the little rear badge would say .................................................. ..............M5!!!!!!!

No, it's not just any M5. It's the new M5 with Florida plates, badasss dubs, an exhaust that looks like it came off of a new S65 and an exhaust note to die for.

Well, it's time to redeem my Buckeyes (at least in my own small world) for the two recent asskickings by that Fla. team.

To let the occupant of the M5 know that I mean business................ I pull up to their ***, swing into the passing lane and blow by them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expecting a response from them, I slow down but I am quickly disappointed that they act like I am invisible.

I stay in the passing lane and slow to 50mph to allow the M5 to catch up. As the car approaches my side view mirror, I notice that the lone occupant is a beautiful black female. I slow more to allow her to pull up so she is at my side. I look over to this gorgeous lady expecting a thumbs-up! Instead, she mouthed to me........................ DIIKHEAD!

Hurt and ashamed I blast ahead of her and exit the highway. I decide her rude behavior was likely due to jealousy and the obvious sexual tension we had going on.

Last edited by Rock; 05-12-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM

'03 E55
[QUOTE=Rock;2201793]Hehe.....funny you ask!!

Instead, she mouthed to me........................ DIIKHEAD!

Being a former "Yankee", I can understand why you misinterpreted her response. I have been told that is a southern girl's way of saying "I love you". I get it all the time down here.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 PM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
Originally Posted by Rock
Hehe.....funny you ask!!

So I'm driving home late (8:00pm) a few nights ago and as I merge on to Interstate 71 (Ohio) I see in the distance a white car with a wide rear-end. From my view it looked like a modified Lexus 350 but something just didn't jive. With a firm depression of the go-fast pedal I soon draw closer to my prey only to be delighted by what the little rear badge would say .................................................. ..............M5!!!!!!!

No, it's not just any M5. It's the new M5 with Florida plates, badasss dubs, an exhaust that looks like it came off of a new S65 and an exhaust note to die for.

Well, it's time to redeem my Buckeyes (at least in my own small world) for the two recent asskickings by that Fla. team.

To let the occupant of the M5 know that I mean business................ I pull up to their ***, swing into the passing lane and blow by them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expecting a response from them, I slow down but I am quickly disappointed that they act like I am invisible.

I stay in the passing lane and slow to 50mph to allow the M5 to catch up. As the car approaches my side view mirror, I notice that the lone occupant is a beautiful black female. I slow more to allow her to pull up so she is at my side. I look over to this gorgeous lady expecting a thumbs-up! Instead, she mouthed to me........................ DIIKHEAD!

Hurt and ashamed I blast ahead of her and exit the highway. I decide her rude behavior was likely due to jealousy and the obvious sexual tension we had going on.

serves you right, Rock. you being out picking on those helpless lil' M5's again with that beast. she obviously didn't have the vibrating seat option.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Rock
Hehe.....funny you ask!!

Floridian hoochie up your way she was definitely up to no good. .Maybe you read her lips wrong misunderstood the phrase.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I would've, but in my experience, those briefcases stuffed full of cash grow legs and become hard to relocate. ...
I bow to your wisdom!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I almost had my first spanking handed to me last week.I say almost cause the guy let off thinking he had me,but he thought wrong.I pulled up to a stop light and next to me was a Yamaha FZ6 with dealer plates,brand new.When it turned green I snapped the throttle and he bit,he got a decent launch and put about 3 bikes on me.After the esp light calmed down, I gained ground fairly quickly.Right about then he must have thought he had me covered and backed out of it about 300ft out from the start.Right as I got even with him he looked over his shoulder to see me right there and about crapped himself....lol..I flew by and he tried like hell to catch me,but it wasnt happening.By the time I was at 90-100,he was 2-3 car lengths behind and hunched down in a full ninja tuck trying to catch me.A few miles went by and we rolled up to the next light together.Being the nice guy I am,I was going to ask if he wanted another chance,cause I think he would have got me the first time anyway.But he didnt even look over at me.Light turned green and he just cruised off slowly,while I left non esp 2 Conti stripes for him! LOL
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 AM

CLS55
i doubt it was because of your 'heavy briefcase' that you were smoked.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by Dogshine
i doubt it was because of your 'heavy briefcase' that you were smoked.
Then it surely must have been the added weight of the dirty car and the higher drag coefficient. There can be no other logical explanation. His car is cheaper and not as nice, therefore it cannot possibly be faster.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
As they say: "There is always someone faster"

But in turn there are definitely alot more slower cars out there too.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hell of a thing....gettin killed.

A man takes away all you've got, and all you're ever gonna be.

classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I ran the same SVT Cobra today. I got the jump because I started around 50 feet in front of him. However, he was not really gaining on me until a ways down the road. Then and then all of the sudden the car stopped accelerating and I got an Electronic Power Control warning on my instrument cluster(EPC). The power was cut and it would not accelerate any more and actually started shaking the car. Needless to say it was all over after that.

I managed to catch-up to the guy a few miles later and asked what he had under the hood. He said that he has converted the Cobra to a twin turbo system and is pushing 700 RWHP on pump gas. That thing was mean. I think he could beat many liter bikes on the top end. The car was that fast!

Turns out my intercooler pump was bad and also had a faulty ignition control unit. Anyway, even if all was good on my Renntech CL600, I don't think it would have mattered much on the top end. I know that thing must be traction limited even at high speeds.

Turns out that I know the guys brother. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of the guys dyno chart later in the week.

Last edited by BlownV8; 05-16-2007 at 07:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Abused by a modified Cobra