W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Vrus- Prototype- Reservoir.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-12-2007 | 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Thumbs up Vrus- Prototype- Reservoir.

Here are some pictures of the large reservoir we installed, thanks Vrus and Willie at Lujan Motorsports.

I also had a chance to dyno after the install. The dyno sheets are attached below, both correction factors std and sae. The mods for run 36 were Asp, ecu, Tb, headers-no primary cats, johnson pump with additional heat exchanger. The mods for run 40 today were +Slr cams and large reservoir water only. For runs 41 and 42 we added ice to the reservoir, we made 3-4 rwhp more on run 41 but lost the tach signal during the run.

It was definitely hotter today than my previous dyno. The correction takes care of some of the difference but I'm sure it would make more on a cooler day.

On a side note I think the slr cams need to be a little more aggressive on the lift. A little bird told me there is something in the works already.
Time to hit the real dyno- Track rental here we come.
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:23 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Drives Slowly
Albert, can you post a little more information this reservoir set-up? Who fabricated it and how does it work?
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Rock
Albert, can you post a little more information this reservoir set-up? Who fabricated it and how does it work?
Rock the kit consist of a Johnson pump an additional heat exchanger, feed, return lines and the reservoir. The IC circuit is totally separated from the engine cooling system and now you have a lot more water to cool the intake charge for every day driving. When you are at the track you can add ice for a further increase in power. This will make sure your Iat's will stay lower throughout an entire 1/4 mile run.

This is basically how its connected.
#1.The water comes out of the bottom of the reservoir to the inlet of the pump
#2. Outlet of pump to inlet of IC under blower.
#3. Outlet of blower to inlet of factory Heat-exchanger.
#4.Outlet of factory heat exchanger to inlet of additional heat exchanger.
#5. Outlet of additional heat exchanger back to the top of the reservoir.
Complete circle.

Victor will be getting kits together after some more testing. Some track testing should be the icing on the cake.

Last edited by rflow306; 05-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by rflow306
...On a side note I think the slr cams need to be a little more aggressive on the lift. A little bird told me there is something in the works already.
Time to hit the real dyno- Track rental here we come.
the lift is identical to e55 cams, the slight increase in top end power comes from a different duration and overlap. there's a drivability trade off if you start playing with too much lift and drivability is something i'm not willing to sacrifice!!!

so this setup is similar an evo set up except you've increased the resevoir capacity and remote mounted it...correct?
Old 05-12-2007 | 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
btw rflow...i was trying to send you a pm but your box is full.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
the lift is identical to e55 cams, the slight increase in top end power comes from a different duration and overlap. there's a drivability trade off if you start playing with too much lift and drivability is something i'm not willing to sacrifice!!!

so this setup is similar an evo set up except you've increased the resevoir capacity and remote mounted it...correct?
Yes increased capacity and the ability to add ice.

I think we can go up on the lift slightly and still have a smooth idle and excellent drivability. The factory cams on the clk 55 and slk 55 have slightly more lift compared to the slr's. ( Thanks PTE for measuring and comparing the cams )
I think the slr cams with a slight rocker ratio change would also make some more power.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
btw rflow...i was trying to send you a pm but your box is full.
Thanks, cleared.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Nice work, very nice set up...One question, the reservoir is just to carry additional coolant correct? The dynos are awesome, but I could sure feel my car feels faster than just 4 to 5 HP increase for the SLR cams as stated in the dynos.. . Any dynos witht the Juice (nos), that should be crazy...

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 05-13-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2007 | 11:57 PM

Albert
Once again nice job, your dyno numbers keep going up.( 537 SAE) on the motor. Very nice.
Old 05-13-2007 | 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
550/597...daaayyyyyym! Roll gage here we come!

How long did the ice last? If I had a track out here that was even half the pleasure of visiting as your guys tracks.I'd be all over the testing as well.

Hats off to ya on your work Rflow!
Old 05-13-2007 | 04:22 AM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Albert nice numbers,keep up the good work
Old 05-13-2007 | 07:21 AM

07 S65
Nice numbers bro!!! You guys are amazing with all these mods! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this thing puts up at the track. It looks like you should have some serious MPH with this set up. Get it to the track quick.
Old 05-13-2007 | 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
550hp in 93 degrees!!!! WOW!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2007 | 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Albert...

What are the parameters of SLR Cams compared to stock Cams ???
Old 05-13-2007 | 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Nice work, very nice set up...One question, the reservoir is just to carry additional coolant correct? The dynos are awesome, but I could sure feel my car feels faster than just 4 to 5 HP increase for the SLR cams as stated in the dynos.. . Any dynos witht the Juice (nos), that should be crazy...
The cams do feel better, power is increased from the mid range to the top end. Peak power is only a little higher but the avg power under the curve is where the biggest difference is. It felt like more power on the street, below is the comparison with and with-out slr cams. The nos dyno is attached below also.

Old 05-13-2007 | 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by SleeperX
550hp in 93 degrees!!!! WOW!!!!!!
Back at you. We need to keep putting that dragtimes list on blast. Every time one of my racing buddy's see's the list their jaw drops they can't believe how impressive our cars are, especially the Ford and Chevy guys.

Originally Posted by 305-E55
Albert nice numbers,keep up the good work
Thanks, I predict three cars in the tens our next time out.

Originally Posted by viper04
Albert
Once again nice job, your dyno numbers keep going up.( 537 SAE) on the motor. Very nice.
Thanks Steve, Hopefully you will be able to make some track hits now and lay claim to fastest S55.

Originally Posted by Jrocket
550/597...daaayyyyyym! Roll gage here we come!

How long did the ice last? If I had a track out here that was even half the pleasure of visiting as your guys tracks.I'd be all over the testing as well.

Hats off to ya on your work Rflow!
Thanks John, the ice will last for a good 0 to 160 blast on the street but even after that the temp of the water according to the temp gun was still in the low 80's in 93 degree weather. I could have cooled the car longer just by draining water and continuing to add ice until the blower starts to sweat but that is pointless and not very realistic. I tried to follow a simple procedure of adding two bags and making a hit keeping cool down to a minimum.

Originally Posted by DJE55
Nice numbers bro!!! You guys are amazing with all these mods! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this thing puts up at the track. It looks like you should have some serious MPH with this set up. Get it to the track quick.
Thanks that is definitely the game plan. I want to go to Bradenton instead of Moroso, the car will not 60ft better than 1.69 at moroso. I have tried all types of different launch techniques but consistent 1.69 to 1.71's is all I can manage. No other 55 that I know of can 60 ft better than low 1.70's there, so maybe it's the track.

Btw: I would like to see your car with more mods, your car definitely responds well to mod.
Old 05-13-2007 | 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
The cams do feel better, power is increased from the mid range to the top end. Peak power is only a little higher but the avg power under the curve is where the biggest difference is. It felt like more power on the street, below is the comparison with and with-out slr cams. The nos dyno is attached below also.

All I could say is Holly mother!!!!659 WHP w nos...!!!! Dear lord....How many shots? 150?,
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Awesome numbers, thanks for sharing !!!

Have you considered a DEI setup to provide a longer cooling charge compared to ice?

Are you doing any datalogging on these runs? I would love to know what kind of gains can be attributed to timing changes by the ECU from the cooler intake temps.

Once again, sweet setup. Me likey.
Old 05-13-2007 | 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Awesome numbers, thanks for sharing !!!

Have you considered a DEI setup to provide a longer cooling charge compared to ice?

Are you doing any datalogging on these runs? I would love to know what kind of gains can be attributed to timing changes by the ECU from the cooler intake temps.

Once again, sweet setup. Me likey.
Thanks
I have a data-logger but my laptop is down for the moment. Once I get it back up and running I will post some logs.

I have not tried any dry ice yet. A mixture of dry ice and regular ice should work the best.
Old 05-13-2007 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Thanks
I have a data-logger but my laptop is down for the moment. Once I get it back up and running I will post some logs.

I have not tried any dry ice yet. A mixture of dry ice and regular ice should work the best.
Rflow,

I brought up this idea awhile back in one of the threads.Making a cool can(much smaller)and mounting it up towards the front somewhere.Basically just for track stuff as well.I was looking for a solution of dry ice and some other liquid chemical to mix into a slushy liquid to put into the cool can container.I think it was Jangy who had some chemical ideas of what could be mixed and keep its coldness longevity.I'll do some searching to see.
Old 05-17-2007 | 10:43 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Albert... What can I say.. That install looks awesome!! I am so glad it worked out for you!! I guess we know this works now... Thanks for all the effort and volunteering of your car for the benefit of R&D!!

Guys,

Albert is one of those people that will take the shirt off his back to help you out.. Other than talking to him on the phone and exchanging ideas & emails, I have never met him in person. His car has been the guinea pig for a few projects and now he has the fastest 55K (both ON & OFF the nitrous) to date (well.. fastest so far that is known to us).

He is a truly genuine individual and he is always there at any moment anytime you ask something of him.

Albert.. thanks buddy for the endless support!

Thanks to all of the testing & R&D that Albert has been helping me with, we now have a recipe for 530+rwhp RELIABLE horsepower. We've got a pulley, ECU, headers, TB, and cooling upgrade that has been proven in the Florida heat.. And Albert's car has been down the 1/4mile and on the dyno ALOT... LOL..

Just wait until a set of heads are slapped on that monster. Let the good times roll..

Hey Albert, do you think we can hit 750rwhp on the spray with the heads???
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:25 AM

2006 E55 AMG
How are you going to plant all that power??? Are you going to run M/T's on some smaller rims?
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:32 AM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Without getting to mushy here what Vrus is saying about Albert is true! He is one of my best friends and one of the best people I know,he is knowledgeable and when he gets into something he hits it 100% He has been around the drag racing game for a while now and is always willing to learn more and share his experience with others.Having said that when are we going to the track Albert
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Awesome numbers! Cant wait to see what it runs at the track

Kinda off topic but how did you tune for the nitrous? And do you have a throttle switch or is it manually armed? Thanks
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 305-E55
Without getting to mushy here what Vrus is saying about Albert is true! He is one of my best friends and one of the best people I know,he is knowledgeable and when he gets into something he hits it 100% He has been around the drag racing game for a while now and is always willing to learn more and share his experience with others.Having said that when are we going to the track Albert

+1, areallly cool guy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vrus- Prototype- Reservoir.