W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! pulley problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 63,E55 (gone) E46 ///M ,B5 stage 3 S4 ,E36 ///M , 03 EVO (800 WHP)
Exclamation Help! pulley problem

Ok, well here it goes i have had the evosport pwr pack 1 on the car for under a year now and have been having alot of problems. i was wondering if anyone else had any issues with any of the pulleys? i been breaking and shreading belts for a lil while now (about 7 of them) at 35$ a piece plus install) most in the past 2 weeks; it turns out that the problem is that on one of my idler pulleys (evo one) the bearing inside of it is moving under load and this means that the pulley is moving it self toward one of the other pulleys (these 2 pulley are on the same bolt, just t clear it up there is a bigger pulley for the boost on the outside and a smaller one on the inside for the drive belt and both are held on by one bolt) so when the bigger boost pulley bearing moves the pulley it self goes toward the other smaller on and this makes hell. at this point my boost belt will walk off and get destoryed and then the boost idler pulley withh come toward the drive belt and shred it to pieces until it breaks and leaves me on the side of the road!!!!.
After the guys at my local shop figured out what the problem was we tryed to fix it for the time being. we hammered the pressed bearing back out to its orginal place and put everything back together. it worked fine for a couple days and then yesterday boom again left on the side of the road.
I spoke to someone at evosport on friday about this and they were supposed to have one of the techs call me back or he told me he would call back himself to help me out. but time went by and no call back.
This post is NOT to bash evosport because before this i have been very happy with the company and there products. i just hope they will stand by there product and fix this problem and get my car runnning. i have spent money on belts and trying to get my car running, i know im not gettin any of that money back and i dont expect to but i do expect them to atleast send me a new idler pulley and new belts. we will see what they say tomorrow when i call them again.
B.T.W my ecu was not done correct either i still have my top end limiter
but hey mistakes happen.

Last edited by eurowerx; 05-28-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Also check for "Run out" on the main pulley and idler tension as well.

Run out although rare, can cause the same symptoms.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 PM

i am not familar with run out? please explain
Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
I don't think evo takes top speed out/ its basicaly a power chip tune and they don't tune that out.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by eurowerx
i am not familar with run out? please explain
Where part of or the actual pulley is not square with the crank.

Just like a buckled push bike wheel...

MB do specify run out tolerances in their WIS program.

A dial gauge is used to measure run out.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
no, you aren't the only one that had/has issues with the evosport pulley and shredding belts. I had one of the first evosport pulley kits on my '04 E55 and had issues with belts shredding and skipping a rib or two after spirited driving. I called evopsport and they sent me a new belt but the problem persisted. So, I removed the evosport crank pulley and installed a Renntech pulley and everything was fine. The Renntech pulley is a modified stock pulley with a larger diameter outer hub. I continued to use the ECU upgrade from evosport/powerchip and the underdrive pullies that were included never gave me any problems. Of course I was discouraged and the evosport crank pulley remains on my garage floor. I recall another person having similar issues...you may want to do a search on the subject.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM

thanks guys, it is acually the idler pulley on top to the left of the superchager pulley if you are facing the engin bay. i hope they can send me a new pulley and some belts i would hate to have to go through the trouble of changing it all over again and also i was about to order the header form them and a friend of mine was going to order the stage 1 for his sl55 but this kind of put a hault on all of that for now. i got the car running but i have no boost belt on since it flew off the car so now the car is driving with only the drive belt and its half shredded.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
eurowerx:

Who did you talk to at evosport?

Do you have 2nd generation pulleys or first?

2nd has extra two pulleys.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I think more people have had issues with pulleys than you hear. In my case, it was with a RennTech pulley, and both RennTech and my shop (Creative Autoworks) stepped up and took care of me.

As a side note, just crank the car and go take a look under there. You'll see any "wobbling" going on and that is a true sign off the bat.

Evo isn't going anywhere, so just be patient and persisitent and it will get taken care of.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM

i spoke to dale at evosport and im happy to say that they are sending me a new pulley along with a new set of belts... thye were helpful and took care of the problem i just had to pay for the overnight shipping they were going to ship ground so i upgraded which is ok. so tomorrow i will have the new parts and have the car running again.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by eurowerx
i spoke to dale at evosport and im happy to say that they are sending me a new pulley along with a new set of belts... thye were helpful and took care of the problem i just had to pay for the overnight shipping they were going to ship ground so i upgraded which is ok. so tomorrow i will have the new parts and have the car running again.
Glad to hear that; and I believe Evosport has one of the best customer service in the aftermarket industry.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Maybe it's me but why wouldn't you have worked with them first before coming on here asking and hoping and threatening to NOT buy something from them. Seems like this should be the last resort to air an issue like this rather than post problems before they have a chance to fix it for you. Seems like internet arm twisting before you needed to. JMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Ok well i never made threats toward not buying anything the only thing i said was i have to take care of this problem first before i go ahead and purchase another upgrade. Also i came on here to ask if anyone else had a similar problem and knew of any solution that it. and i clearly stated that this was not a post to bash evosport or there products. I was happy with everything before and now and extremly happy to state that they helped me out and solved the problem, so if anything this is a customer service praise to them.

Last edited by eurowerx; 05-30-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It all comes out in the wash.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
These posts are helpful. I want to know of the issues with the product regardless how well the customer service is when it comes to replacing it. Thanks for the info eurowerx.

Originally Posted by vader
Maybe it's me but why wouldn't you have worked with them first before coming on here asking and hoping and threatening to NOT buy something from them. Seems like this should be the last resort to air an issue like this rather than post problems before they have a chance to fix it for you. Seems like internet arm twisting before you needed to. JMO.