W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvaged/Lemon Law E55, what are your thoughts???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Salvaged/Lemon Law E55, what are your thoughts???

Long story...I sold my 2004 E55 last year.. Have been regretting this ever since...

So..... Im back in the market for a 03-04 E55... I have a line on a car right now that is otherwise gorgeous.. HOWEVER, it has a salvage title... The damage was pretty minor. No frame or anything like that.. But the owner insisted the insurance company salvage the vehicle..I have a strong belief that there are people who "know how" to work the system. Who often get cars salvaged/lemom law'd. That are perfectly fine. So, I really dont have a fear of a salavged car.. UNLESS, it had extensive damage. Which is not the case here..

2003 E55, all options, pano,xenon,etc,etc,(no Nav. of course), 51000 miles. Looks perfect, would never be able to tell it was salvaged... What is this car worth??

I guess my questions are:

1. what is the car worth??
2. warranty? can you get one?
3. re-sale? how much less would this car be worth, than the identical car w/o the salvage title?

I am finding similar mileage 03 E55's for low $40's.. Having said that, how much of a "hit" should I figure in for this car..
Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I would never buy a salvage car... not because of the fear of future mechanical problems... but because of resale-ability, if you could at all resell it.

If you plan to keep the car until it dies, yeah sure, salvage is not a problem... as long as you realize what you're doing. But if you don't plan to keep the car forever, better not to touch it.

So to answer your questions:
1. May be mid 20's? I'd only pay '03 w/ 51K and no warranty up to mid to high 30's.
2. It's already hard to get extended warranty for cars w/ >50K miles, let alone salvaged.
3. Expect to get only 40-50% of the fair market value.

Once again, it's not whether the car is salvaged due to minor things... it's just how most people perceive salvaged cars and adjust their offer price to compensate the effort on reselling it down the road.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM

2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by zoink
I would never buy a salvage car... not because of the fear of future mechanical problems... but because of resale-ability, if you could at all resell it.

If you plan to keep the car until it dies, yeah sure, salvage is not a problem... as long as you realize what you're doing. But if you don't plan to keep the car forever, better not to touch it.

1. May be mid 20's? I'd only pay '03 w/ 51K and no warranty up to mid to high 30's.
2. It's already hard to get extended warranty for cars w/ >50K miles, let alone salvaged.

Once again, it's not whether the car is salvaged due to minor things... it's just how most people perceive salvaged cars and adjust their offer price to compensate the effort on reselling it down the road.

Normally, I would agree with you 100%. However, the circumstances of this car are very unique. The damage was pretty minor. And the car looks flawless in its currecnt state.. It honestly, could pass for a 10k mile car.. VERY clean..
Old 06-11-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others

+1.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan1
Long story...I sold my 2004 E55 last year.. Have been regretting this ever since...

So..... Im back in the market for a 03-04 E55... I have a line on a car right now that is otherwise gorgeous.. HOWEVER, it has a salvage title... The damage was pretty minor. No frame or anything like that.. But the owner insisted the insurance company salvage the vehicle..I have a strong belief that there are people who "know how" to work the system. Who often get cars salvaged/lemom law'd. That are perfectly fine. So, I really dont have a fear of a salavged car.. UNLESS, it had extensive damage. Which is not the case here..

2003 E55, all options, pano,xenon,etc,etc,(no Nav. of course), 51000 miles. Looks perfect, would never be able to tell it was salvaged... What is this car worth??

3. re-sale? how much less would this car be worth, than the identical car w/o the salvage title?

I am finding similar mileage 03 E55's for low $40's.. Having said that, how much of a "hit" should I figure in for this car..
Unless you know exactly why the car was considered salvaged (flood, stolen/stripped), I would avoid. Salvaged cars are a great bargain, but only for people that know exactly what they are doing, in terms of mechanical, paint, etc.

Salvaged cars are not covered by warranty (car is past warranty period anyways), usually not covered by any kind of lease or financing, and very difficult for an insurance company to offer coverage.

The value of the car is diminished as well. You'll have a hard time reselling the car. You should be able to buy the car for low 30's.

If you're a collector and you just want to add an E55 to your collection, it may be a good choice. I've seen people add salvaged Murcielago's to their collection.

Lastly, no one in their right mind would purposely salvage or lemon law a car. There are some tricks when it comes to lemon laws/salvaged titles and you can "unbrand" a branded title. You do have to know how to "work" the system, but would you trust someone that's involved with the darker side of things?!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
my thoughts

I would never buy a salvaged car.

Did you look at the reciepts from the body shop to really determine if the damage was minor? What if the guy is just lying about the damage?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I would never buy a salvaged car.

Did you look at the reciepts from the body shop to really determine if the damage was minor? What if the guy is just lying about the damage?
Better yet what does the Carfax say? details should be fairly comprehensive And as others have stated resale will be near impossible or at least plan on privately selling that Salvaged titled beast for dirt cheap---in a couple years maybe 17-20k w/70k + miles on her by then

ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY Co. will touch it! steer clear
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
By chance is this the car?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/188468-sale-2003-e55-19-167-miles.html

Is the is VIN# WDBUF76J03A391396

Last edited by Jrocket; 06-11-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Normally, I would agree with you 100%. However, the circumstances of this car are very unique. The damage was pretty minor. And the car looks flawless in its currecnt state.. It honestly, could pass for a 10k mile car.. VERY clean..
Let me emphasize again...

Yes, I agree. Salvaged car may not give you any mechanical problems in the future.... salvaged car may just perform like a pristine one.

But... not every one would have the same opinion as you do. To most people, salvage is salvage... and salvage is bad. And you could see strong evidence even in this forum.

Should you consider what other people think?

Yes, if you plan to resell the car.

No, if you don't plan to resell the car... in other words, you keep until it dies.

BTW, are you referring to salvaged or lemon? Salvaged is worse.... salvaged by all means the car was not road worthy and was made road worthy again (accidents, floods, etc.)

Lemon means there is/are some defects on the car that occurred repeatedly. The defect may be as minimal as radio, sirius, honk or whatnot, and could be as serious as brake failure.

Lemon cars will get written explanation from the manufacturer. And if I'm not mistaken, that particular part will get longer warranty than regular 4yr/50K.

So lemon and salvaged are two different things. The impact on resale price is also different - with salvaged got hit a lot more. As for the warranty, you may still be able to get warranty with exception that the part causing the lemon is not covered.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Let me emphasize again...

Yes, I agree. Salvaged car may not give you any mechanical problems in the future.... salvaged car may just perform like a pristine one.

But... not every one would have the same opinion as you do. To most people, salvage is salvage... and salvage is bad. And you could see strong evidence even in this forum.

Should you consider what other people think?

Yes, if you plan to resell the car.

No, if you don't plan to resell the car... in other words, you keep until it dies.

BTW, are you referring to salvaged or lemon? Salvaged is worse.... salvaged by all means the car was not road worthy and was made road worthy again (accidents, floods, etc.)

Lemon means there is/are some defects on the car that occurred repeatedly. The defect may be as minimal as radio, sirius, honk or whatnot, and could be as serious as brake failure.

Lemon cars will get written explanation from the manufacturer. And if I'm not mistaken, that particular part will get longer warranty than regular 4yr/50K.

So lemon and salvaged are two different things. The impact on resale price is also different - with salvaged got hit a lot more. As for the warranty, you may still be able to get warranty with exception that the part causing the lemon is not covered.

I agree with your comments. However, Salvage AND Lemon Law, are both "branded title" cars.. So, there is a dramatic effect on value either way. Lemon Law cars can not be leased or financed.

Yes, I will plan to re-sell the car at some point. Here are my thoughts.. The number I have in my head is 25%. Meaning this car would have to be at LEAST 25% below wholesale market value, of a non-salvage E55. For me to consider..

Having said that, A non-salvage 2003 E55 with under 50k miles, is currently going for about $40k +/-. I would be looking to buy this car for about $30k. Currently the seller is asking a good deal above that. SO... we'll have to see..

Yes, your right. Some people would not consider buying this car, at any price. HOWEVER, think about it. My goal is to drive the car for 2 years, and about 30k miles... If I can get $25k out of the car after 2 years. I'll be happy.. AND someone will be getting an E55 Kompressor for $25k. Which is an outright steal.. Salvage title or not.. I DO believe there is a market out there, when the time comes for me to sell this car.

I think at $30k, I would be safe on this car.. The salvage is documented, and the seller has been VERY up front about the cars history. If he wont take $30k, Im walking...

Last edited by Taximan1; 06-11-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey do whatever makes you happy, bro! It's your money....

But if I may say some last words.... assuming all people who may consider buying salvaged car thinks the same as you do now - discounting 25% of fair market value.

2-3 years from now.... the absolute difference in the two amounts is smaller.

Let's say you could sell clear title '03 E55 for $25-30K 2 years from now... 25% of that amount is "only" $6-7.5K. The amount would be less if you compare it w/ higher mileage and less optioned clear title car. This would make your car even tougher to sell. By the time you sell, it may have been 3-4 months after you are thinking of selling... in the end, you woud only get $15-18K. While the depreciation amount may be the same as clear title car, the hassle, the effort you would spend may be a lot bigger.

But either way... best of luck!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I agree with your comments. However, Salvage AND Lemon Law, are both "branded title" cars.. So, there is a dramatic effect on value either way. Lemon Law cars can not be leased or financed.

Yes, I will plan to re-sell the car at some point. Here are my thoughts.. The number I have in my head is 25%. Meaning this car would have to be at LEAST 25% below wholesale market value, of a non-salvage E55. For me to consider..

Having said that, A non-salvage 2003 E55 with under 50k miles, is currently going for about $40k +/-. I would be looking to buy this car for about $30k. Currently the seller is asking a good deal above that. SO... we'll have to see..

Yes, your right. Some people would not consider buying this car, at any price. HOWEVER, think about it. My goal is to drive the car for 2 years, and about 30k miles... If I can get $25k out of the car after 2 years. I'll be happy.. AND someone will be getting an E55 Kompressor for $25k. Which is an outright steal.. Salvage title or not.. I DO believe there is a market out there, when the time comes for me to sell this car.

I think at $30k, I would be safe on this car.. The salvage is documented, and the seller has been VERY up front about the cars history. If he wont take $30k, Im walking...
Yes please do as you wish but you asked opinions??

Does the word WARRANTY mean anything to you? 2 years and 30k of driving equates to Many, many, trips to the Stealership! trust me I had a similar experience after keeping my S class for a couple years after warranty expired, TOTALLY SUCKED!! these cars break down frequently
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i know how tough it is to be objective when you fall for a car as i've done it many times. however, i think the majority of the guys on the board have your best interest when they advise against the salvage. personally, i'd no more than $20k-ish...knowing that it'll be worth max $10-15k when at resale. think of it this way, check out this car for mid-$40's. http://www.gkautos.com/04e55.htm
what's it worth when you're done?
i bet the depreciation is probably similar to owning a salvage title during similar period.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
i know how tough it is to be objective when you fall for a car as i've done it many times. however, i think the majority of the guys on the board have your best interest when they advise against the salvage. personally, i'd no more than $20k-ish...knowing that it'll be worth max $10-15k when at resale. think of it this way, check out this car for mid-$40's. http://www.gkautos.com/04e55.htm
what's it worth when you're done?
i bet the depreciation is probably similar to owning a salvage title during similar period.
Good point! these cars will sadly for current owners be in the mid to low 20's w/CLEAR PERFECT TITLES in 2 years time w/75k + mi, figure easy half that for a Salvaged titled one.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Guys, I truly appreciate your help... You are all right.. I have NEVER considered a salvage car in my life.. But I guess seeing this one changed my mind.. Its nicer than most clean title cars out there....

Anyway, After reading your replies. Im going to throw it around.. Maybe see what clean title cars are out there, to compare with.. Like I said, at this point. Hes asking $35k, which ain't gonna happen.. $30k maybe? $20's?? TEMPTING, VERY TEMPTING!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM

03S600, 06 Range Rover SC, 97NSX, 99M3, 04RX330, 04Dakota, 01 3.2TL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170120440064

He's getting about $32-$35k.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Guys, I truly appreciate your help... You are all right.. I have NEVER considered a salvage car in my life.. But I guess seeing this one changed my mind.. Its nicer than most clean title cars out there....

Anyway, After reading your replies. Im going to throw it around.. Maybe see what clean title cars are out there, to compare with.. Like I said, at this point. Hes asking $35k, which ain't gonna happen.. $30k maybe? $20's?? TEMPTING, VERY TEMPTING!!!!!!
I agree 20's would be very tempting even without warranty!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
There is a narrow market for salvage titled cars and if you could buy it at the "right" price, you would be able to sell it in the future for well below market value. Everyone has very valid points though and I agree that you should plan on keeping it for a while or instantly start trying to sell it because it will take a while. I have bought and sold salvage title cars in the past (fully disclosed when I purchased and I fully disclosed when I sold) with no problems but they were ford pickups and such not high end sedans. Bottom line is you will have a blast driving it for 2-3 years and you could throw it away and justify it for the miles of smiles it has provided, make him an offer and good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CarCrazed4Life
He's not getting anything until the money is in the bank

8 out of 10 people looking at this car on eBay, either dont have the money, cant get the financing, or just plain wasting time. But thats a WHOLE seperate thread.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
The car is worth half of what Blue Book states. Are you gonna pay cash for this? As you stated financing is a whole other thread...My bro tried to sell his bmw that was S titled (without him knowing). He had a buyer lined up but when the buyer went to actually buy the car the bank would only finance less than half of the Blue Book. Buy the car if you are gonna keep it until it's dead. I would never buy an S titled car.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350

Forget salvage.... I have a buddy who has a pristine 03 E55 with 48k miles on it... No accidents or anything... comes equipt...no navi, or pano... I am sure he will be willing to sell for 45k. Let me know if ur interested... Its silver with black interior....
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
no affiliation - just saw on craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/350542336.html

looks pretty clean.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Good fined...thats a killer price!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, it's near my place.... let me know if anyone in this forum needs help to look at the car.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM

I decided to make the guy an offer of $27,000 for the car in question. His facial expression was that of someone who just got hit in the gut.... He bought the car, post-salvage. And overpaid for it.. For $27k, he is going to hang onto the car. Cant say I blame him....

The search continues.. thanks fellas...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Salvaged/Lemon Law E55, what are your thoughts???