Sponsored by:

My New Toy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Josh.. Engine wise the 996TT can be made to handle alot more power than the 993TT because of heat. The aircooled engine in the 993TT makes it alot more challenging to boost power because you have to be very careful to keep the combustion temps under control.

For alot of Porsche diehards, like me, the aircooled 993TT is just the ultimate Porsche and is much sought-after. This is why a 1996 993TT will fetch the same or more money than a 2002 - 2003 996TT.

If you look at creature comforts and technology, the 996TT wins hands down, but, the 993TT has a much nicer "road feel" to it.

Its hard to explain.. You have to experience it, and you either love it or hate it... Once you get your 996, drive it over to a place that has a 993 and jump out of yours and drive the 993.. You'll get a proper appreciation for the differences..

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
That model sells for much more than the newer models, relatively speaking. Aside from having such a classic and desirable body style is there a mechanical reason?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks to all for the kind words.. My car was on the transport truck and making its way to the border.. It was due to clear customs today.. Hopefully will finally have it before end of the week..

Awaiting the federalization process once it hits Toronto..

I'll post some more pics of the mods and changes as soon as the car is in my hands.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just got the call.. My car landed and was taken off the transport truck.. I have to wait another day or two until the federalization process is complete, but I should have it in my garage before the weekend.

They were telling me that everyone was drooling over the car as it was being unloaded.... Can't wait to see it.. Heading over now to go check it out in person and take it for a spin...

No more work for me today.. LOL..
Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Car checked out perfect!! All major service was done and the tech said everything looks good.. The interior looks like brand new other than the seats which are showing some cracking and wear.. Other than that, it is perfect..

Couldnt believe the condition of it.. Whoever owned it took really good care of it. Will be driving it by Friday night..

The only thing I didnt like was the 4x4 stance it had.. LOL.. Way too high.. Picked up some Bilstein PSS9 coilovers and they are installing for me as we speak. I cant drive it home in that 4x4 stance..

Will take pics once I pick it up tomorrow. (hopefully title & insurance gets done today). You'll get a chance to see what it looks like as I got it except with new suspension... Then once the below mods are all installed I'll take some "after" pics..

Have a bunch of mods on the way..

- Raid-RDI Daytona Race GT 340mm Steering wheel w/airbag (black leather & suede)
- Aluminum instrument rings
- Aluminum pedals w/matching dead pedal (already here)
- RS Factory strut tower brace (already here)
- Full carbon fiber interior (instrument cluster, radio surround, center console, door inserts, door handles)
- Blue seat belts
- Custom lloyds mats (black with silver stitching and silver embossed turbo logo) (should be here today)
- Rear seat delete (already here)
- Custom Recaro Sport Topline Driver & Passenger seats.. Covered in Porsche black leather w/black suede centers.. Full power assist with heat & cool functions. (will take a few weeks)

That's it for Round 1.

Round 2 brings on some more cool stuff..

During the winter the 3.8L monster will get installed.

Looking forward to doing some DE events again.. Havent been to Mosport since my last 993TT...
Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
vrus, have you driven a 996TT? How does it compare? I had a ride in a 996TT, and while the car performed like a champ, the straightline power somewhat disappointed me (surprising, because I come from a S430 lol).

I won't be buying a 993TT very soon, but I really really want one.

And congrats, we will need pics!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Do a search on my username and 993TT.. I've written a few comparative paragraphs.. Had both cars at the same time at one point... 2 VERY different feeling cars..

Originally Posted by newton22
vrus, have you driven a 996TT? How does it compare? I had a ride in a 996TT, and while the car performed like a champ, the straightline power somewhat disappointed me (surprising, because I come from a S430 lol).

I won't be buying a 993TT very soon, but I really really want one.

And congrats, we will need pics!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well.. took the day off and did some "car project" stuff.. Spent most of the day pampering the 993TT.. E55 was left a little neglected today...

The main purpose was to get my suspension setup.. I arranged to install the Bilstein PSS9 Coilover kit.. 9 position adjustable shocks.. Beautiful kit!! I ran the H&R setup on my previous cars but decided to give these a try this time around... and you know what.. I like them ALOT better..

Here is a shot of the coilover kit along with a comparison of stock shock & spring setup to the PSS9 coilover.

This kit runs around $2650USD and is worth EVERY penny!! Car handles just like I remember it... a little go-kart!!!

Here is the polar beast on the hoist awaiting surgery...

While the skilled techs were working away tearing my car apart, I was trying to find a way to pass the time while they were doing all that hard work...

I got to spend some time with this little toy while mine was undergoing the transplant.

I've owned and driven a few older style Lamborghinis but none of the newer ones (never got around to trying them out).. The newest one I had was a 99 Diablo VT roadster..

This little guy sounds AWESOME!! It was a 6speed so I got a chance to run around the highways terrorizing other vehicles on the road.. It's not as fast as I thought it would be, but, it sounds great so who cares.. LOL..

I was supposed to go visit my friend @ Lamborghini and take the LP640 for a spin but I never made it down there... next time.

Back at the shop... Here she is with the coilovers in place...

I got stuck in a mini-rainstorm on the way home so the car got a little dirty.. worse than that.. I didnt have a chance to get the corner balancing and 4wheel alignment done.. The car is running what looks like -3deg of camber on both wheels and alot of toe out so the car was quite a handful on the way home.. Tomorrow morning I go in for a corner balancing and a complete competition alignment.

Here she is parked back at home.. all dirty after the rainstorm...

She also keeps the beast company... They look good together don't they...

Lot's more mods on the way.. Carbon fiber will be here soon.. along with my custom seats & steering wheel and custom suede interior.

I'll post more pics of the interior as I install the various pieces...

If you guys get bored of seeing this stuff, let me know and I'll stop posting it here... Just wanted to share for those that are porsche nuts....
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63
I wish I had not seen your and Dragon's posts. You have me looking.....

Not to get into the different type of car discussion because I understand it, but what are the 1/4 times for the stock 997's? Not many on dragtimes. What about the 996's with 30 less HP?

I know this is but you started it!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Drool

Car looks great with the new PSS9 kit!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e

My favorite Porsche ever! Well - next to the 993 Turbo S I suppose I gotta get myself one someday - maybe just a C2S ;-)

I drove a lowly Carrera 2 (narrow body) with aftermarket exhaust and the Nokia(?) surround sound option. While the Nokia sound system was great, I had to shut it off in lieu of the air-cooled Flat-6's roar.

can't wait to see how it turns out after the mods!

Congrats

Last edited by Holson; 07-19-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
VRUS, while your in the process check out Protomotive and see what they are using for turbo's. I know this is a 996 clip but check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvRfkN5EuMM

Enjoy! Maybe the M6 will catch it in the twisties!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
LOL... The fever is spreading...

A stock 997 comes in at high 11s in the quarter mile.

996TT is in the 12s.. low to mid 12s stock (non-X50 car).

If you want a car that you can mod to the hilt the 996TT is a great platform.. The engine has more potential for power than the air cooled version. I personally prefer the 993TT so thats why I bought what I did. The 996TT would of been cheaper believe it or not.

One other thing that is hard to explain to people is: The shrieking sound of the turbos & air cooled Flat six that you get with the 993TT.. The 996TT is much more quiet and subdued.. The engine sound on the 993TT from inside the cabin is just wonderful!!

I'll video tape a little bit and post it up for you guys..

You can get a good example for $65 - $80K.. I personally would look for a high mileage car with pristine interior & exterior, drop the motor and go nuts. Everyone hunts for the low low mile cars.. The high mileage ones take a big hit in depreciation and if you want to mod the engine anyways, that makes more sense.

Good luck and hope to see you on the Porsche side..

Originally Posted by AMGcrazy
I wish I had not seen your and Dragon's posts. You have me looking.....

Not to get into the different type of car discussion because I understand it, but what are the 1/4 times for the stock 997's? Not many on dragtimes. What about the 996's with 30 less HP?

I know this is but you started it!
Thanks! Finally today since it was all dried up I was able to take the windy way to the office.. Ohhhh yeah.... Big improvement in handling! Cant wait to add some more thrust to this thing..

Originally Posted by FASN8N
Drool

Car looks great with the new PSS9 kit!

Thanks! Radio?? What radio? I never turn the radio on when I am driving a "sports car". Its all about the engine..

Originally Posted by Holson
My favorite Porsche ever! Well - next to the 993 Turbo S I suppose I gotta get myself one someday - maybe just a C2S ;-)

I drove a lowly Carrera 2 (narrow body) with aftermarket exhaust and the Nokia(?) surround sound option. While the Nokia sound system was great, I had to shut it off in lieu of the air-cooled Flat-6's roar.

can't wait to see how it turns out after the mods!

Congrats

Thanks bud!

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I know the car.. He is a 6speed member... Thats a fully built proto car.. Its got some serious go-power!! And his isnt even the fastest example out there... Markski's car I believe is the fastest so far.. He broke a 9sec quarter with his car.. no nitrous.. just boost..

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
VRUS, while your in the process check out Protomotive and see what they are using for turbo's. I know this is a 996 clip but check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvRfkN5EuMM

Enjoy! Maybe the M6 will catch it in the twisties!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The interior part of the project is moving along nicely...

Here are a few shots of the awesome Recaro Sport Topline seats.. These are full power assist, heat & cool functions, alcantera & leather combination.

This is a very nice Daytona GT Steering wheel.. This is the full leather version with leather airbag option...

That little blemish at the bottom of the wheel is where the sticker used to be that I peeled off.. LOL.. I hate stickers...

Here are my aluminum instrument rings & pedals...

Last but not least.. here are the custom lloyds mats that I ordered.. You can see what the relatively stock interior looks like now.. I'll take an AFTER pic once I install all the goodies so you can see the transformation..

Still to come: all the carbon fiber pieces, my rear seat delete & 2 side door panels (removing black carpet from door panels) which are being covered in black alcantera to match the seats.

Much more to come...
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
My carbon interior pieces are done and shipped out.. They came out great..

Here is a pic of the pieces that I had made.. These are custom made, hand laid 100% carbon fiber. Expensive, but well worth it.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just got a call from Fedex... My new exhaust components are clearing customs!!

Ordered the stainless steel sport cat system and a set of high flow mufflers to go with them.. These are 2.5" from Turbo to tailpipe instead of the restrictive factory setup.. This will help turbo spool tremendously.. I had the sport cats on my previous car and it really woke it up.. The mufflers I have not tried before but they are basically a flow-through design and weigh 20lbs less than stock on each side..

Total weight shed is 52lbs from stock setup..

Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Drooling again! Congrats on all the goodies
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM

A slow Tahoe!
Originally Posted by vrus
Just got a call from Fedex... My new exhaust components are clearing customs!!

Ordered the stainless steel sport cat system and a set of high flow mufflers to go with them.. These are 2.5" from Turbo to tailpipe instead of the restrictive factory setup.. This will help turbo spool tremendously.. I had the sport cats on my previous car and it really woke it up.. The mufflers I have not tried before but they are basically a flow-through design and weigh 20lbs less than stock on each side..

Total weight shed is 52lbs from stock setup..

Vic - Nice goodies.........BTW - If you ever decide to adopt someone to leave all you toys to.........I'm available.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Was working on the Carbon interior pieces over the weekend that I had made..

Below are some progress shots...

The lower door panels and some rearseat pieces are being recovered in black ultrasuede which is why they are missing in these pictures..

Installing the carbon is not for the faint of heart... I had to completely dissassemble the top half of the dash in order to get to the instrument cluster area...

Here is the carbon door panel:

Here are some carbon pieces installed around the radio and A/C as well as the switch housings just in front of the gear shift lever...

Here is what the instrument cluster looks like in carbon:

I still have to install the other door panel, the left side of the steering wheel as well as right side continuing on from the radio surround to the right vent. I am also going to try and get the blue Porsche belts installed today and try to reassemble the car.

Once I get back the pieces I sent out for recovering , the interior will be done.. I'll post a completed interior picture once I reassemble it and make it look like a Porsche again.. LOL..

New 3.8L engine is in progress and will be here soon also.

Last edited by vrus; 09-09-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
2 Beasts?

Nice Job.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
Best Porsche turbo ever
Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The fabricator finally finished my new custom intercooler .. This thing looks phenominal!!! Its on its way to me and I cant wait to have it installed..

The end tanks on this version (this is the second iteration of it) are now 1 piece billet. I am going to have it coated in the heat dispersement coating when it arrives.

It was test fit on a car and some performance data shows a +1psi boost increase at the throttle body.. I'll have to do some IAT measurements to see how much more efficient it is.

Check out the workmanship....

Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Look at the size of that thing!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 PM

2008 E63
WOW!!!

Artwork.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
BEAUTIFUL - FREAKIN - BEAUTIFUL

how much HP do you think you will pushing when all is said and done and how much weight have you shaved on the "mini beast"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New Toy