W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy a pre-owned e55. Need some tips.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question looking to buy a pre-owned e55. Need some tips.

Looking to buy an 05/06 e55. While, no stranger to fast European automobiles. I'm humble enough to know that each has it's own set or pros and cons. I have owned various Porsches (911, Boxster-S), BMWs (M3, 545i), and one MB (CLK320, CLK55). I liked each one but they all had their temperamental sides. What should I be looking out for with the e55? Options, interior, known issues, mechanical issues??? All informative and anecdotal input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sergtech; 07-18-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM

2013 CLS63 2004 S55
My thoughts

Check brakes, brake job not cheap. Like porsche/bmw extended warranty is a necessity. Should have 'almost-scary' off line torque or something may be wrong. Wont handle like a porsche nor small bmw. The nav gets by, but could be better. My only regrets are not getting dark(flint/slate?) gray nor pano-roof. ventilated seats dont do too much, but the active seats are nice. I think I get <15mpg with aggressive socal driving(~21gal tank). Thats all that comes to mind. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Good stuff! More please. I have been scanning the forum and it would seam there are ALOT of little annoyances with the e55. So the extended warrantee suggestion sounds like a must have.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM

212 E63
E55 Pricing

I am looking at an 06 Designo graphite P2 4200 miles flawless AND comes with 7/100 extended warranty.The kind of original owner you hope to buy one of these from.Never driven in the rain,laminated window sticker,extra floor mats on top of the factory one's etc..) he's firm on 72k and while I think it's fairly priced (with the ex warr through 2013) I know there was a member here who just sold a Designo with slightly more miles for several thousand less,but that was an exceptional deal.The person selling has two backup offers at that price,but he's a class act and giving me first right of refusal as I saw the car first..anyone think that's a too much,especially with used 63's going for 2-3 K more?. The two biggest things pushing me towards this car are it's the last year(and arguably the best) for the beast,and all that peace of mind that accompanies the warranty.

Thoughts welcome!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
E55
I have seen brand new E55's with 10 miles for less. BUT if you found what you want and got the cash go for it. There's always a better deal somewhere just depends how hard and long you are willing to search.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM

212 E63
Originally Posted by RACE_MX
I have seen brand new E55's with 10 miles for less. BUT if you found what you want and got the cash go for it. There's always a better deal somewhere just depends how hard and long you are willing to search.
I hear ya brother, for me those better deals are always on the other side of the country,and after transportation fees they become less of a potential deal.Personally I refuse to buy from a broker or dealer..never know if that lease turn in was used as a drift car on sundays It seems these cars drop like rocks the first 24 months then the rate of depreciation (relatively) stabilizes. That warranty is not cheap,and kind of an insurance policy when selling.I know I wouldn't touch one of these without one.