Nitro Fill?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Nitro Fill?

So i'm at my dealer this weekend picking up my new floormats & i notice an advertisement for something called Nitrofill(sp.) I walk up to one of the service guys & ask him about it. He tells me they fill up your tires with nitrogen & proceeds to tell me all these great things about it (never refill your tires again, drive 50 miles with a flat, better mpg, F1 uses it, etc...) He told me it costs $60 & that also covers future tire purchases with the dealer.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Nitrogen results in more stable tire pressure because it doesn't expand as much when heated. But it's a waste on a street car. Just another gimmick designed to waste your money.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
KRS

Soon2BMB
Brabus' highly modified models (v12's etc) all have their top speeds rated with nitrogen filled tires and require that when purchased only nitrogen be used to inflate tires as pressure remains much more stable, especially at high speeds when a loss in tire pressure would have more serious effects.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by WayneE
Nitrogen results in more stable tire pressure because it doesn't expand as much when heated. But it's a waste on a street car. Just another gimmick designed to waste your money.
Actually not a gimmick, it is a good idea. Most compressed air you'd get to fill your tires is very "wet". That's not good at all, especially if you have TPMS. Most places it's getting pretty cheap and quite a few shops offer it. If it's convenient and not $60.00, go for it. The local Big Brand only charges $5.00/tire. It will not let you run on a flat, prevent ever having to fill a tire again, or give you better mileage. It will keep the pressure more stable, leak out much slower than air, and prevent corrosion of the metal parts it contacts. And yes, most, if not all, race teams use it.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Fast55
It will not let you run on a flat, prevent ever having to fill a tire again, or give you better mileage.

So basically the guy lied to me huh? Oh well.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Yeah, I love the "it'll let you run a flat" statement. How in hell will it let you run on a flat if it has all leaked out?????
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
So i'm at my dealer this weekend picking up my new floormats & i notice an advertisement for something called Nitrofill(sp.) I walk up to one of the service guys & ask him about it. He tells me they fill up your tires with nitrogen & proceeds to tell me all these great things about it (never refill your tires again, drive 50 miles with a flat, better mpg, F1 uses it, etc...) He told me it costs $60 & that also covers future tire purchases with the dealer.

Anyone ever heard of this?
I have found that my TPM works 100% of the time with the nitrogen fill and is reading accurate pressure. It is required by the FFA for all jets, this has been around for 30 years. The price they quoted is FU[King ridiculous $60.00 even high end retail tire shops only charge $6.00 per tire for a fill.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I got my tires nitro filled also.... works well w/ my TPMS and do notice a big difference in pressure variation (only +/- 1psi in cold vs. hot condition vs. +/- 3psi in cold vs. hot condition using regular air).

Yes, as mentioned above, nitro will give more consistent pressure and less susceptible to leak (bigger molecule).