Sponsored by:

Lowering Unsprung Weight...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Lowering Unsprung Weight...

I've been eyeing some wheels in my attempts to lower the unsprung weight. However, I really needed to determine the baseline and find out what the OEM stock wheels really weighed. I have been told that the stock wheels weighed anywhere from 55-60 lbs. I realize that some tires are heavier than others. According to TireRack's site, the Conti's that are installed on the car now weighed in at 25 lbs.

Well tonight, I had a chance to weigh the front and the back wheels. As it turns out, these wheels are not too shabby and are probably lighter than some of the more common wheels out there. Bare in mind that my OEM wheels have been chromed and are probably a few pounds heavier than the non-chromed version. (just guessing here)

The pic on the left is the rear wheel and tire on the scale at a smidge over 50 lbs. The pic in the middle is the front at roughly 48 lbs. The right picture is the front from further away. As such, with the tires at 25 lbs, the stock wheels weighed in at around 25 lbs in the rear and 23 up front. Removing another pound or two because of the heavy chrome, it's really was not as heavy as I originally imagined.

On another note which may have already been previously posted: I found a useful site with a pretty good database listing a selection of wheels with their respective sizes (but not actual fitments with off-sets) and their weights. http://www.wheelweights.net/ Caveat: it doesn't seem to list all of the more popular E55 fitting wheels.

As a side note, this was the very first time I used the jack that came with the car....it's actually a well engineered contraption. pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering Unsprung Weight...-stock-wheel-007a.jpg   Lowering Unsprung Weight...-stock-wheel-005a.jpg   Lowering Unsprung Weight...-stock-wheel-003a.jpg  
Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Great info
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Cool site!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Still looking for lighter wheels

Murtaza - Thanks! Mainly, it's been an educational process for me and just wanted to share the info. It may be common knowledge for many of the members here though. I'm still looking for a set of 18" wheels measurably below the 20 lb mark. I'm not sure if it would be worth the expense if it isn't.

Originally Posted by Murtaza
Great info
Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Definitely very informative.

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Cool site!