Last night 1/4 mile testing !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Man if I would do what everybody tells ME that I would be without my pant$$$ already...

Have you runned your beast in 1/4 after IC mod ???

What about Wrap kit..did you install it yet ???
lol, i've been without pants for a while now...you get used to it.

i've been itching to hit the 1/4mile really bad and thought about going last night. that was until i realized it was still 108 degrees f at 7pm when i got off work. i have absolutely no interest in going when it's that hot...it's no fun for me or my car!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Guys did some more testing last night, it was like about 65F...

1st run 12.7 no burn out....2nd run was on colder engine, without burnout...12.5...

The best times I had before at that weather with 285 where 12.6+...definately need to dyno the car and test OBD 2, going to go to much chip tuner tommorow...

Almost spanked LPE C6 Z06, he didnt launch too good and went 12.4...

Kleemann K4 best time was still 12.7, so he didnt have that much of heatsoak on Friday !!!

So bigger pullies dfinately causing more HEAT...This brings ME to a question is bigger pullies are actually better the smaller one in long WOT run ???
Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Guys did some more testing last night, it was like about 65F...

1st run 12.7 no burn out....2nd run was on colder engine, without burnout...12.5...

The best times I had before at that weather with 285 where 12.6+...definately need to dyno the car and test OBD 2, going to go to much chip tuner tommorow...

Almost spanked LPE C6 Z06, he didnt launch too good and went 12.4...

Kleemann K4 best time was still 12.7, so he didnt have that much of heatsoak on Friday !!!

So bigger pullies dfinately causing more HEAT...This brings ME to a question is bigger pullies are actually better the smaller one in long WOT run ???
I think so. You need to upgrade the cooling system though if you are going to use a larger pulley.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
That the 1st I would do next...
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 AM

All of them!
That the 1st I would do next...
What pump do you have for the I/C? Run your car hard a couple runs and then try to touch the coolant lines on the front passenger side of your engine with the ENGINE STILL RUNNING. If they are too hot to touch, take a garden hose and spray the heat exchanger in the spoiler for a minute. If you still can't touch the coolant lines your pump is not working. It should cool off quickly if the system is working and your sparaying cold water on that heat exchanger.
The larger pullies will build more heat faster than stock smaller pullies. This will cause more power loss quicker than a stock car would. The engine will have hotter, less dess air under higher pressure, therefore it will retard the timing more and add more fuel to prevent detonation causing a greater power loss than a engine with less boost.
I really would not be surprised if a stock 55 would beat a higher boost modded 55 if you disconnected both of the cars i/c pumps. The results should be the same as you described, the higher boost one would get the jump, and the lose the lead because the heat building up.
Test your pump often and before anything else.

Btw. I practice what I preach, My pump has been bad for three months with 100 degree temps and I never noticed. I tested it as I'm getting ready for an I/C upgrade. I was a little surprised at how good this car runs without it, especially in this hot weather. So don't discount checking it, especially if your going to be racing.
Rich
Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
what cooling mod are you getting?
from what i have seen the evosport one looks cool, but is it any good?
is it worth to get on a stock car?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:10 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Zod
what cooling mod are you getting?
from what i have seen the evosport one looks cool, but is it any good?
is it worth to get on a stock car?
Building my own, and full size is the plan. Evo is too small for my tastes.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
My pump is fine...it the latest version of MB pump for SL55...works OK...Not cooling line are that hot...I can touch them...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Building my own, and full size is the plan. Evo is too small for my tastes.
owowow please share when ur done
hmm but for me evo seems like the only one right now... but is it worth it
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM

All of them!
My pump is fine...it the latest version of MB pump for SL55...works OK...Not cooling line are that hot...I can touch them...
After rereading your post, I really am surprised both cars don't do better than you claimed. So is there really a problem with your car? Maybe the track isn't setup exactly right. That vette didn't set any records at that track either! So you didn't do that bad if you compare it to what the others were doing.

Originally Posted by Zod
owowow please share when ur done
hmm but for me evo seems like the only one right now... but is it worth it
I've built them for others and they make a huge difference. Here's one I built on a SLK32. It'll be about the same for the E55. Look close as it's stuffed in there including that huge Johnson pump. The factory heat exchanger is retained and repositioned forward with the air scoop shortened to fit behind the bumper.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
LPE ZO6 best time is 11.78 when it was colder...Our track is like regular road

What pump are you using ???
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 AM

All of them!
LPE ZO6 best time is 11.78 when it was colder...Our track is like regular road

What pump are you using ???
I have no pump right now.My car is at the dealer right now and has been there for a week trying to get the stock dead pump replaced under warranty . I'm pretty fed up now though. Ready to just pull it out of there and say screw it, upgrade time, my patience is running out!
I'm not enjoying this side of the fence, but the experience makes me a better servant in the end.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I meant what pump are you where using with SLK32 IC mod ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 08-27-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM

All of them!
I meant what pump are you where using with SLK32 IC mod ???
On that one we used the Johnson CM90. If the owner hadn't supplied it, I wouldn't have used it. It's too large! All I could do to make it fit. I installed the CM30 on other jobs and while larger than the factory pump, it's a far cry easier to install.
Rich
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

SLK32
After rereading your post, I really am surprised both cars don't do better than you claimed. So is there really a problem with your car? Maybe the track isn't setup exactly right. That vette didn't set any records at that track either! So you didn't do that bad if you compare it to what the others were doing.

I've built them for others and they make a huge difference. Here's one I built on a SLK32. It'll be about the same for the E55. Look close as it's stuffed in there including that huge Johnson pump. The factory heat exchanger is retained and repositioned forward with the air scoop shortened to fit behind the bumper.

Hmmmm.... That car looks familar for some reason

Rich does great work. The IC & Johnson pump fabrication & install are top notch. It took some work but Rich was able to get that big *** Johnson CM90 pump to fit in my SLK32.

The install on the larger heat exchanger looks factory. If you did not know better you would swear the car came like that. I would not be surprised if you took it in if most of the technicians did not even notice it. The heat exchanger is huge but does not stick out.

With the install there is no drop off in performance. Heat Soak is not an issue. Even with the car reading an outside temp of 107 and 1800% humidity the car runs strong.

I highly recommend taking your car to Rich if you are in the Atlanta area. We are in the process of discussing the next round of mods to my car*.

Although I am starting to think it might be time to upgrade from the SLK32 to an SL55 or SL600.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by 430
Hmmmm.... That car looks familar for some reason

Rich does great work. The IC & Johnson pump fabrication & install are top notch. It took some work but Rich was able to get that big *** Johnson CM90 pump to fit in my SLK32.

The install on the larger heat exchanger looks factory. If you did not know better you would swear the car came like that. I would not be surprised if you took it in if most of the technicians did not even notice it. The heat exchanger is huge but does not stick out.

With the install there is no drop off in performance. Heat Soak is not an issue. Even with the car reading an outside temp of 107 and 1800% humidity the car runs strong.

I highly recommend taking your car to Rich if you are in the Atlanta area. We are in the process of discussing the next round of mods to my car*.

Although I am starting to think it might be time to upgrade from the SLK32 to an SL55 or SL600.
I'm glad you like it. I never knew you were registered over here, or would have guessed your name. Was the "430" as in ML430?
Well 8 days in the dealer and I'm getting very unhappy about my missing E55. I think I better ride on down tomorrow and see if it's in the body shop. Maybe they wrecked it or something to be taking this long.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM

SLK32
Yes, the 430 as in the ML430 we used to own. I did not plan far enough ahead with my user name

Sorry to hear about the car. Hopefully they will get it back to you soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Did you seperate the IC circuit from the engines cooling circuit also? If so,how did you bleed the air out?

Nice job on the install!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Did you seperate the IC circuit from the engines cooling circuit also? If so,how did you bleed the air out?

Nice job on the install!
Seperating the i/c system is not 100% necessary. I would only do that if I were using a real coolant reservoir with pressure cap. I don't like not keeping the system under pressure. Adding a extra proper coolant reservoir, cap and hoses is just extra complexity with very minimal return.
What I do is restrict the air bleed side (upper) to the engine coolant circuit/system down to about a 1/32". This allows air to bleed out with very little heat able to transfer, but fill from the main system. I prefer using this method due to the fact that the pressure will rise in the engine cooling system, this will pressurize the I/C circuit as well to 1.4 bar, which raises the boiling point of the coolant and helps prevent any bubbles or cavitation of the pumps. Also if you develop a coolant leak it will trigger the normal cooling system low coolant warning indicator.
Rich
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
wowow
only other person i have seen do this is the dude in the UAE next to me, which had his customized and made.

Are they really that good?
Have they actually been proven to work better then other cooling mods?
I ask this because heat is my biggest issue
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Your wheels and tires are slowing you down.

Racing 101: Run the smallest wheel and tire combo that will get the job done.

Don't pay any attention or even LOOK at the purpose built Drag cars used in bracket racing. They all sacrifice ET and MPH for consistancy by running tires way to big for the car. They do this to eliminate tire spin so the car will repeat time after time.

I'm willing to bet $$$ that if you weighed and measured your factory wheels/tires against you're custom wheels you'll find the customs are larger in diameter and weigh more. Just my .02.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
I'm willing to bet $$$ that if you weighed and measured your factory wheels/tires against you're custom wheels you'll find the customs are larger in diameter and weigh more. Just my .02.
I'd be willing to take that bet. His wheels are super light. But in general that is true.

mbenzman- Very nice install on the SLK32. I ran into quite a few problems trying to install my bigger heat exchanger but in the end it came out just the way I wanted it. Good work, it looks factory!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
UPdate...

Guys I just found out that E55 with slick that beat ME and that I thought only have Headers and NO CATs...Bustard$...no one what to tell the truth about thier mods...and I was shocked...

He is actually has Evotech pullies and Evotech ECU

So I think my main problem is ECU...This guy had my ECU before and said it night and day difference...

I think I am runing too RICH on TOP as othert people where telling ME before and that is why he was slowly catching up with ME...+ of course he had 225/40 slick on the back on light wheel...

Where can I get the fastest reflash in USA ???

I can send my ECU to LA or NY with Aeroflot crew..Is there any good shop in LA or NY....

While they rest in Hotel for 2 days, may be someone could help ME with ECU re-flash ???
Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Went to track yesterday night again...I was like 50-55F...

Best time 12.6...trap speed around 120...with 285/30 on 19th...

My car wasnt hot and I dont think I had any IAT or heatsoak issues at that weather...

Evotech E55 (ECU, pullies, Headers, No Cats) with 18 lightweght slicks 225/45 tyres ...If he has 168 pullies has should amke around 590-600HP and 178 around 620 I assume...HE trapped 122with 12.5 run and his best time was 12.3...

Kleemann K4 best time was 12.6 with 18 265/35 tyres and also trapped around 122 with 12.7 time...

Anyways I thinking it the porblem with ECU now also cause...I have around 12.1 at WOT...and pull hard off the line then Evotech E55 slowly catches up, he beat in final by 1/2 of the car...but I should make more power then him with extra TB...on the otherside his wheels are 18 and 225/45 weight much less then mine 19th with 285/30, so this could be his advantage...

Do you guys think that this difference in wheels can make such difference and that is why he catches up with ME ???
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Mor news...This E55 has even more mods...on top of everything he also has bigger bottom mount intercoolers with TB whihc bring up the boost by 0.2....so his boost is around 1.1 and mine is only 1.0 power, so he has simular POWER but smaller and ligher wheels make him faster...He doesnt wanna race ME with stock wheels...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Last night 1/4 mile testing !!!