W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so, will finally hit the track this monday... need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
so, will finally hit the track this monday... need advice.

guys, i'll finally hit the track with the E55 this monday.
I've been a drag racer for many years. Currently run at my track for points, but i'm clueless as of what to do with the E55.

So far, from what i've gathered.
Suspension is set on Comfort. or whatever the softest level is called.
The tranny is set on S?
I have a question. I'll quickly spin the tires to clean them up. Will this automatically set the tranny in 2nd gear? do i just do my burn out on C and roll to the staging lights.
I've always drag raced manual cars and the only automatic i ever owned before had a transbrake so this is all new to me.

Are you guys letting the tranny do the shifting or manually shifting the car? what rpm will the car shift at?
i was planning on removing the spare tire and setting the rear tires to 25 psi, front to 50psi.
Can't wait to get a baseline before i start modding!!!

Anything i'm missing and should add?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Let other lane do burn out and stage first.
Back into water box,esp off,burn out.(stock tires=no burn out in water box)Stock tires,do small burnout at edge of water box or just a enough to clean the tires off.
Pull car to stage
Trans in S mode
Suspension in normal
Use button (-) on steering wheel to make sure car is in 1st gear.
At last amber roll into the throttle,dont smash it unless the track is very tacky.Roll into it smoothly but agressively.
Let tranny shift on its own.
If track isnt hooking,you'll either have to turn esp back on after burnout or peddle it off the line.Usually easier to peddle it then use the esp.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
...and don't bring up the rpms to stall the converter. best 60' results have been from leaving at idle.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:54 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Let other lane do burn out and stage first.
Back into water box,esp off,burn out.(stock tires=no burn out in water box)Stock tires,do small burnout at edge of water box or just a enough to clean the tires off.
Pull car to stage
Trans in S mode
Suspension in normal
Use button (-) on steering wheel to make sure car is in 1st gear.
At last amber roll into the throttle,dont smash it unless the track is very tacky.Roll into it smoothly but agressively.
Let tranny shift on its own.
If track isnt hooking,you'll either have to turn esp back on after burnout or peddle it off the line.Usually easier to peddle it then use the esp.

If i downshift to "1" will the tranny shift by itself?
I haven't tried this on the street... thanks. i've only had the car for a week and driven it a few times
thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
which track

are you going to monday?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55R
are you going to monday?
Yup, which track?

We are going this friday @ Sac, test & tune.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:05 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Yup, which track?

We are going this friday @ Sac, test & tune.
Infineon raceway.
I run points on weekend events. I'm not in the greatest position right now, so i hope this car is consistent otherwise i won't qualify to vegas.
I'm debating whether to just bring my drag car and experiment some other day.
so.. will it shift automatically after i drop it to first?
I believe i had to manually upshift AFTER down shifting on the street, but i'm not sure.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by Bay Area User
Infineon raceway.
I run points on weekend events. I'm not in the greatest position right now, so i hope this car is consistent otherwise i won't qualify to vegas.
I believe i had to manually upshift AFTER down shifting on the street, but i'm not sure.
Before taking it to the track, you might want to run couple of tests with a datalogger to see if the pump is working efficiently.

Try comfort mode first and then sport for tomorrow instead of M mode.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 09-03-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Before taking it to the track, you might want to run couple of tests with a datalogger to see if the pump is working efficiently.

Try comfort mode first and then sport for tomorrow instead of M mode.

Good luck, and have fun!
thanks man.. yeah, i'm wondering about the pump.
I really don't get into it on the street so i don't know what the deal is.
I was planning on using tomorrow as a test.
What are some good dataloggers for e55s?

thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
thanks man.. yeah, i'm wondering about the pump.
I really don't get into it on the street so i don't know what the deal is.
I was planning on using tomorrow as a test.
What are some good dataloggers for e55s?

thanks.
Autotap, nology, autoenguity are the common choices.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by chiromikey
...and don't bring up the rpms to stall the converter. best 60' results have been from leaving at idle.
can you clarify what you mean by rmp to stale converter please, i do not understand
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
It means don't press the gas too much while holding the brake to raise the RPMs, as in a traditional automatic. You want to launch off idle.

A smooth press to the floor in about a second results in the best 60' for me. (high 1.7, low 1.8 on street tires)
Old 09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
If i downshift to "1" will the tranny shift by itself?
I haven't tried this on the street... thanks. i've only had the car for a week and driven it a few times
thanks.
Yes it will.Put the trans button in "S" mode use the (-) button on the steering wheel to make sure its in 1st.

Suspension in normal,not sportmatic 1 or 2 mode.

Dont bring up the stall at the line,just roll into the throttle as suggested.You want to flash the convertor,but not smash the throttle and kill the convertor.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
I love it when a 55 guy asks for tips you guys give em the farm LOL,

YEP, you guys know your stuff.

Roll out, soft then depress rather than smash pedal.

Car should be very consistant in non adverse air
Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by juicee63
I love it when a 55 guy asks for tips you guys give em the farm LOL,

YEP, you guys know your stuff.

Roll out, soft then depress rather than smash pedal.

Car should be very consistant in non adverse air
Of course we help them,anybody can get in a low tq mobile llike the 63 and put the peddle down.Its not like its going to spin the tire or anything!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
It's as if the AMG boys designed it at the drag track.

Car is near complete point and shoot. Don't shift to 1, don't mess with suspension etc.

Just "go on the last yellow" and roll into the throttle smoothly but quickly. (bout 1/2-1 sec to get to floor instead of stomping) and that 2 ton fraulein will do the rest.

If you get bored (car tracks so smoothly I was one handing it after a couple of runs) and wanna try something fun, throw it in dyno mode and have a pass. ESP will be completely off...it's a blast. REMEMBER to turn off dyno mode when done with it. It doesn't shut off by itself. \

They took down my video of dyno mode on Putfile.com but here are the instructions .

1. Turn ignition key to position 1 (SRS light on).

2. Make sure digital temperature gauge shows in instrument cluster. If it doesn't, use the arrow buttons on the left side of wheel to scroll through menu until it does.

3. Turn ignition switch off and back on again to position 1 (SRS light on).

4. Quickly, while the SRS light is on, push the trip odometer reset button at the far left of the instrument gauge cluster 3 times quickly.

5. Your display should now have a voltage reading, like "UB: 12.0V" on the screen.

6. Hit the up arrow button on the left side of the wheel until you get to the display that reads "ESP Dynamometer Test".

7. Now go to the right side of the steering wheel and hit the plus (+) button once to light up the "on" button for ESP Dynamometer Test.

8. Start up the car - you're now in dyno mode. The display will read "ESP unavailable Diagnostic Test". The car will stay in dyno mode, even if you turn off the engine.

9. To turn dyno mode off, turn ignition off, then turn ignition switch to position 1 again and hit the minus (-) button on the right side of the steering wheel once until the display says "ESP Dynamometer Test Circuit 15 off." Turn off the ignition - you're back to normal and out of dyno mode.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Infineon raceway.
the et's should be consistent...the launches may not. one of the biggest problems is the throttle by wire system. there's such a lag between when you press the gas pedal and when the car "decides" it's okay to do what you ask that it's very difficult to cut a great (and consistent) light.

i believe the tbw system is also one of the reasons you can't get a good launch by stalling the converter. the ecu seems to wonder why the gas and brake pedal are both being depressed at the same time and can't figure out what you really want.

the whole thing can be very frustrating compared to the good ol' days of a mechanical link between your foot and the pavement...well that is until you knock of a low 12 second run in a bone stock two ton family sedan.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Of course we help them,anybody can get in a low tq mobile llike the 63 and put the peddle down.Its not like its going to spin the tire or anything!

LOL.....You are so right!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by juicee63
LOL.....You are so right!
Thats it! I sat down and got ready for some flaming from you,and thats all you gave me?

You ready for Speedworld?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
the et's should be consistent...the launches may not. one of the biggest problems is the throttle by wire system. there's such a lag between when you press the gas pedal and when the car "decides" it's okay to do what you ask that it's very difficult to cut a great (and consistent) light.

i believe the tbw system is also one of the reasons you can't get a good launch by stalling the converter. the ecu seems to wonder why the gas and brake pedal are both being depressed at the same time and can't figure out what you really want.

the whole thing can be very frustrating compared to the good ol' days of a mechanical link between your foot and the pavement...well that is until you knock of a low 12 second run in a bone stock two ton family sedan.
They do have a delay,but the 80mm Tb's seems to react quicker for some reason?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)

Chiromikey or anybody in the know...How should the addition of a Sprintbooster module affect the launch or does it all?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Thats it! I sat down and got ready for some flaming from you,and thats all you gave me?

we gotta stick together on that one. I have several people wishing to embarass the benzo.

I will be ready!!!

Doing weight reuction right now.

I am right behind you in several ways, dont look to the left, IM catching you
Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Chiromikey or anybody in the know...How should the addition of a Sprintbooster module affect the launch or does it all?
As long as you know its there you should still be able to modulate the throttle to get a good launch. I did not like the SB for the drag strip. Car would go WOT on a half push and for me that was weird on the drag. I took it out but it definately made the car better as a daily around town. I like having to depress fully to go WOT vs, the half depress .
Old 09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it's still in the 110's out here so hopefull you can wait a little while but make sure i get a call when you guys come out!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
it's still in the 110's out here so hopefull you can wait a little while but make sure i get a call when you guys come out!!!

November 3rd!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/events-gatherings/207451-arizona-exotics-drag-event-speedworld-11-3-a.html

You and Bluemax gotta come out, Im going to need some help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so, will finally hit the track this monday... need advice.