W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some of you asked if my big heat exchanger made a difference...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Some of you asked if my big heat exchanger made a difference...

Well, I never datalogged with the stock heat exchanger (so no before comparison data) but went out with Jason (E55JAY) and did some runs and data logged since my car performed very poorly at the track yesterday. Thanks Jason. The temp was anywhere from 78-85 (according to the display in the instrument cluster) depending on exactly where we were. It was cooler by the water and in the shade. I dont remember the exact temps of each run unfortunately. The IAT's look very low to me and never rose under WOT. These runs went up to 140+mph. I dont know anybody else with a Kleemann CLK55 but if someone has one and wants to datalog for comparison that would be great I would say my bigger heat exchanger worked. Enough talk, lets see some graphs (click on images to enlarge).
3rd and 4th gear pull (if I remember correctly)

Tried to cut a run down using MS Paint... wasnt too successful lol This was a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pull.

Is it normal for the boost to decrease like that or am I maybe gettin some belt slip? And also according to this formula: To convert MAP to boost - (MAP-29.92)/2
I am making negative boost. Wtf?

Last edited by blackbenzz; 09-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
good god, i wish we could get e55 iat graphs to look like that! i think the only way to do it would be to disconnect the sensor!

actually my heat exchanger set up has me pretty close but i'm still jealous!

Last edited by chiromikey; 09-02-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
"in hg" to psi to get manifold pressure correct.

Take your "in hg" number and multiply 0.4912

I might be wrong though.

Looks like you chopped off the throttle at the "20" mark,thats where the green line runs straight down.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Jrocket
"in hg" to psi to get manifold pressure correct.

Take your "in hg" number and multiply 0.4912

I might be wrong though.

Looks like you chopped off the throttle at the "20" mark,thats where the green line runs straight down.
28*.4912 = 13.7536

13.7536-29.92 = -16.1664/2 = -8.0832 So I'm running negative 8PSI? I cant wait til my Defi boost gauge gets here so I can just read a damn gauge and see!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
28*.4912 = 13.7536

13.7536-29.92 = -16.1664/2 = -8.0832 So I'm running negative 8PSI? I cant wait til my Defi boost gauge gets here so I can just read a damn gauge and see!
Not sure on why you did all that math? Isnt it just a conversion of inHG to psi? Which should be 13.75psi? Isnt that what your car makes for boost?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Not sure on why you did all that math? Isnt it just a conversion of inHG to psi? Which should be 13.75psi? Isnt that what your car makes for boost?
I thought you were telling me to take the "in hg" and covert it to psi by multiplying by .4912. Then plugging that number into this formula To convert MAP to boost - (MAP-29.92)/2
Guess not! And no, I'm supposed to be running 7 PSI.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I thought you were telling me to take the "in hg" and covert it to psi by multiplying by .4912. Then plugging that number into this formula To convert MAP to boost - (MAP-29.92)/2
Guess not! And no, I'm supposed to be running 7 PSI.
Im lost then. lol
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Well, I never datalogged with the stock heat exchanger (so no before comparison data) but went out with Jason (E55JAY) and did some runs and data logged since my car performed very poorly at the track yesterday. Thanks Jason. The temp was anywhere from 78-85 (according to the display in the instrument cluster) depending on exactly where we were. It was cooler by the water and in the shade. I dont remember the exact temps of each run unfortunately. The IAT's look very low to me and never rose under WOT. These runs went up to 140+mph. I dont know anybody else with a Kleemann CLK55 but if someone has one and wants to datalog for comparison that would be great I would say my bigger heat exchanger worked. Enough talk, lets see some graphs (click on images to enlarge).
3rd and 4th gear pull (if I remember correctly)

Tried to cut a run down using MS Paint... wasnt too successful lol This was a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pull.

Is it normal for the boost to decrease like that or am I maybe gettin some belt slip? And also according to this formula: To convert MAP to boost - (MAP-29.92)/2
I am making negative boost. Wtf?
Ahmad the iats look to low, likely because you were not making any or very little boost. Either the data-logger is way off or you have some boost issues. Your iats actually went down in certain spots during the run that could only indicate that you had close to ambient air leaving the blower ic, very hard to do with any IC with-out ice. For example even if you had a large ice cooler in the back the temps would start out very low and gradually climb and plateau, they would only come back down when you lifted.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by rflow306
Ahmad the iats look to low, likely because you were not making any or very little boost. Either the data-logger is way off or you have some boost issues. Your iats actually went down in certain spots during the run that could only indicate that you had close to ambient air leaving the blower ic, very hard to do with any IC with-out ice. For example even if you had a large ice cooler in the back the temps would start out very low and gradually climb and plateau, they would only come back down when you lifted.
This is strange as I pondered the boost figures all evening as I cant wrap my mind around the low boost numbers relative to how the car drives and trap speeds it puts down. His car just ran a 12.45@ 114mph (corrected 12.23@115.86) trap speeds on friday last week but regularly puts down high 11's @ 118+ in good air so hes definitely off a few mph, I would theorize that to make a 114 mph pass in 80 degree ambient he has to be making more then 2lbs of boost. Both of our cars dont seem to be running maximum but I can only pull about 2-3 car lengths on him at 140mph so he has to be making more then 0-2lbs of boost?

Last edited by JAYCL600; 09-02-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 AM

All of them!
Sorry to rain on your parade

BB, logging your iat is not the same as an E55K or any of the AMG Factory Kompressors. The iat sensor is a built in part of your mass air flow sensor assembly. On the Kleemann blower, you still retain the stock MAF part. You are mesuring the temp of the incoming air through the MAF only.
On the Kompressor engines the IAT sensor is a seperate part located in the airsteam from the supercharger behind the heat exchanger. And they have no MAF at all.
Rich
Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by mbenzman
BB, logging your iat is not the same as an E55K or any of the AMG Factory Kompressors. The iat sensor is a built in part of your mass air flow sensor assembly. On the Kleemann blower, you still retain the stock MAF part. You are mesuring the temp of the incoming air through the MAF only.
On the Kompressor engines the IAT sensor is a seperate part located in the airsteam from the supercharger behind the heat exchanger. And they have no MAF at all.
Rich
thanks for your input Rich!! I wonder if the MAP sensor is reading the correct boost as well.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Rich
Thanks, that makes alot of sense, it has no map sensor or post compressor iat sensor the data logger is reading the mass air flow sensor.

Originally Posted by E55JAY
This is strange as I pondered the boost figures all evening as I cant wrap my mind around the low boost numbers relative to how the car drives and trap speeds it puts down. His car just ran a 12.45@ 114mph (corrected 12.23@115.86) trap speeds on friday last week but regularly puts down high 11's @ 118+ in good air so hes definitely off a few mph, I would theorize that to make a 114 mph pass in 80 degree ambient he has to be making more then 2lbs of boost. Both of our cars dont seem to be running maximum but I can only pull about 2-3 car lengths on him at 140mph so he has to be making more then 0-2lbs of boost?
I would have to agree, what's normal boost for a clk with a klee blower 7-8 pounds?.

Last edited by rflow306; 09-02-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Thanks, that makes alot of sense, it has no map sensor or post compressor iat sensor the data logger is reading the mass air flow sensor.

I would have to agree, what's normal boost for a clk with a klee blower 7-8 pounds?.
Damn awesome team effort here guys thanks a ton!! normal boost is supposed to be 7lbs, so using OBD port is useless for these specific parameters
Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
On the Kleemann blower, you still retain the stock MAF part.
Rich
Since it's not a blow-thru maf ie before the compressor, I assume they are supplying the extra fuel via a boost controlled fuel pressure regulator right ?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Wow! Lots of good info here! Thanks alot guys
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by E55JAY
thanks for your input Rich!! I wonder if the MAP sensor is reading the correct boost as well.
The map on the Kleemann should be connected to the manifold after the blower/intercooler. It should be boost referenced, however, the sensors are known to fail.

I would love to see an rpm reference on an overlayed graph. Can't really tell what is happening when and how accurate it is. The boost would actually drop on a more efficient cooler setup though. He woulve needed to test the coolant temp in the cooler or the air temp after the cooler to tell, but I would bet they are better. The dyno or dragstrip would tell.
You really can't compare this as much with a factory kompressor car. It's going to make different power, boost for boost, due to different blower, pullies, cams, exhaust, blower, air inlets/restrictions, intercooler, and the fact that he has higher compression ,which makes more power at any given boost level.
The CLK55 is 4-600 lbs. lighter than the beast, so it's easier to move.
No offence meant here, just saying that you should not try to compare the two too closely, as there are too many different variables.

I bet the cooler didn't help as much as it would on an E55K though.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:56 AM

All of them!
Since it's not a blow-thru maf ie before the compressor, I assume they are supplying the extra fuel via a boost controlled fuel pressure regulator right ?
Correct.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rich
good info!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
+1 mbenzman on the info,
how good is the revised new pump from mb on the 2006 55k cars if you do not mind me asking ?

Last edited by Zod; 09-02-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
In one graph,the IAT is the blue line,in the other its the green line? Does this data logger change that for some reason?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In one graph,the IAT is the blue line,in the other its the green line? Does this data logger change that for some reason?
i think it simply depends on the order in which you select items to be graphed.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM

All of them!
BB said:
To answer his belt slippage question, I'd like to see rpm overlayed so you could tell whether the belt slips IE. the map value falls while the rpm climbs. Even better, more information such as a maf graph with the rest. A maf value overlay would tell if the airflow increased while the map value dropped might suggest a failing map sensor, leaking line to map sensor, leaking line to fuel pressure reg., boost leakage past injector seals, etc.
Don't forget that the maf could be failing (never seen that before ) This could be seen as the maf voltage failing, dropping out, or not climbing while the map sensor shows the intake pressure increasing in the manifold. And you don't have to have a code/cel to have a bad one.
O2 sensor values in conjunction with the maf values would be really important on a F/I N/A car as you may be pegging the MAF as the Kleemann's tend to do .

As far as what improvements you can expect on a aftermarket F/I engine by enlarging the heat exchanger, will be two fold. It would be any h.p. improvement due to density of cooler air entering the combustion chambers and the peace of mind due to the fact that colder air is safer for your engine in that engine damaging detonation will be less likely to occur.

On the M113K engines, the factory ecu makes adjustments (for engine safety) that the N/A ecu will not. It pulls timing and will add fuel when it sees the iat rise and will even shut off (disengage) the s/c clutch to prevent damage to the engine. The Kleemann has no such protection and can't diengage the s/c as it's not clutched.
So when you do install a more effective heat exchanger on a M113K, that keeps the IAT lower, then it's ecu won't ruin the power party. The effect will be more noticeable for three reasons, Cooler more dense air, less/no retard on timing and less/no added fuel.
Rich

Last edited by mbenzman; 09-02-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:21 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Zod
+1 mbenzman on the info,
how good is the revised new pump from mb on the 2006 55k cars if you do not mind me asking ?
I've been too busy to mess with my own. I didn't even know the pump was bad until I was doing a little pretesting while getting ready for an i/c upgrade. This is on hold again due to too many other distractions/jobs.
I can't say it feels any different but it does have a brand new supposedly updated pump we'll see when I have a chance to check the part #. I don't believe the pump is any better flow wise, just maybe/hopefully more durable. I haven't dynoed my car or taken to the track (ever) so I do not have any figures to have complained about other than to say that the car hasn't really left me wanting for power during my normal assaults on Atlanta traffic including being pulled over for drag racing.. I will say the supercharger never shut down on me ever, even when attempting to have it happen to set codes so they would have them as evidence when scanning my ecu at the dealer. The car would destroy the tires on rolling 25 mph starts with the esp off, run after run. Maybe this car is not the worst example of power loss.
Rich
Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
i have three bump part numbers from MB, will post them when i get back home tonight .

I must say i am interested in this bigger radiator... thinking bigger radiator ( if thats what its called) plus improved pump cm90 ... can any one say its cooling time
Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Zod
i have three bump part numbers from MB, will post them when i get back home tonight .
What are the part numbers for?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some of you asked if my big heat exchanger made a difference...