W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complained about the CHIRPING and........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Complained about the CHIRPING and........

WOW.................i guess it never hurts to ask...........I complained about the chirping and the "harshness of the engagement" and I was told after they talked to MB they would replace the supercharger clutch and other items totalling $4,000. First he said the whole supercharger and I said no that can't be. Called me later and said the SC clutch and related stuff....

I need help.......What else should they be installing besides my SC clutch as part of this job.......I know the SC clutch goes for 1,000 or so. Where is the remaining $$$$$$$

For those of you who have had this done, what else is normal as part of the fix for the chirping.

This is being done as part of my warranty. Still can't believe it........

Roland

Last edited by higginsbeach; 09-17-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Believe it. It is almost a campaign. they are just over quoting you for boast status. Just say cool and run.

Also, try to get the water pump.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM

07 BMW X5
Had mine done last month, same thing just complained about the chirping and they replaced the SC clutch. Not sure what other parts they replaced as it does not show it on the work order. I thought they would have replaced my I/C pump but no such luck, I will just take it back and have it done at later point.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM

03 E55
Cant believe it. I've complained 3X and they say "that's just normal". Autobahn wouldn't do the clutch. Bay Area guys, what dealer are you using?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by DarkStar
Cant believe it. I've complained 3X and they say "that's just normal". Autobahn wouldn't do the clutch. Bay Area guys, what dealer are you using?
Come by to EuroElites and I will try to help.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ive got the newer SC clutch pack,and the harsh engagemnet came back after time.The dry chirp sound isnt there but the rough engagement is.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM

'03 E55
They replaced my entire S/C. Chirp and rough engagement are gone, but it is slightly rougher than it was right after initial replacement. I was told that mine would've been $8-10k if done out of warranty.

DarkStar, I complained about the chirp/engagement numerous times to the SA with no success. Spent a little time to get to know the technician, not the SA, and suddenly I end up with a whole new S/C.

Last edited by Hazy1; 09-17-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Ive got the newer SC clutch pack,and the harsh engagemnet came back after time.The dry chirp sound isnt there but the rough engagement is.
+1
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Update to Chirping Resolution........

Originally Posted by Hazy1
They replaced my entire S/C. Chirp and rough engagement are gone, but it is slightly rougher than it was right after initial replacement. I was told that mine would've been $8-10k if done out of warranty.

DarkStar, I complained about the chirp/engagement numerous times to the SA with no success. Spent a little time to get to know the technician, not the SA, and suddenly I end up with a whole new S/C.
UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with the MB Tech. He has informed me that the entire supercharger, clutch, bearings, and pully are getting replaced. WOW. Was not expecting that.......

So this is consistent with what happened with your job.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 AM

'03 E55
Glad to hear it. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive after they fix it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Mine is still running great after I changed my clutch pack and that was over 1500 miles ago. No chirp and engagement is still nice and smooth. I'm starting to think that the tighter clearance spec helps with the engagement issue.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

03 E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Come by to EuroElites and I will try to help.
Will do, thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM

E55
Were you guys under factory warranty when they replaced the SC clutch pack?

Sounds like this should be a TSB or possible recall !!!

My factory warranty just expired ... however, i now have the aftermarket mercury warranty .. but would prefer not to make a claim with them unless it gets real bad.

I do experience a minor chirping from 1st - 2nd gear engagment .. a little bit of a quick jerk .. but, not as bad as some of you guys have reported.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM

03 E55
I have the Mercury Platinum extended warranty as well. Wonder if it covers the chirp...?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM

E55
Mercury Platinum would cover it i am sure .. but, it seems to me this should be one of those cases where mercedes should cover it, even if out of warranty .... since they obviously are quite aware of the problem .... considering it is so freaking common.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by yeahdickey
Were you guys under factory warranty when they replaced the SC clutch pack?

Sounds like this should be a TSB or possible recall !!!

My factory warranty just expired ... however, i now have the aftermarket mercury warranty .. but would prefer not to make a claim with them unless it gets real bad.

I do experience a minor chirping from 1st - 2nd gear engagment .. a little bit of a quick jerk .. but, not as bad as some of you guys have reported.
Yes, I am still under factory warranty until the end of October. That is why I brought it in to see what corrective actions, if any, they would take. There is also a recall for a drain plug in the front wheel well. I also had them do the last Service B plan on the car before my warranty expires. Hope this helps...

This is not the first thread on this issue. Because of the wealth of data on this board, I went in the dealership well armed with my formal complaint. It pays to do your homework.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Yep, they replaced my entire S/C unit as well, along with the pump and a bunch of other stuff. Love that factory warranty.

You guys are winning me over to the notion of buying the Mercury extended warranty... I'm super skeptical when it comes to aftermarket warranties, but it seems that I've heard enough good things from people here to suggest that it'd be a safe option. I wish MB would let me extend my factory warranty, but I'm not the original owner, no CPO for me

Where'd you guys buy your Mercury warranty from? Do you go direct, or is it something you do with a local salesperson?

Thanks!

Skeeter
Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Hey Skeeter,

Have you ever tracked your car before and after the SC replacement...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
No, but I did do some dynos before the swap. If I ever get around to doing a post-dyno, I'll post before and after results for you.

Truthfully, the main diff is the lack of chirp. Can't say that it yielded any power gains. The pump had started to go, though, and that caused some serious power loss. I could get one or two good runs to sixty mph before the heat caused the blower to shut down on me big time. Same story as half of us here. What an awful feeling that is! The beast, de-fanged. Ugly.

They did the pump, clutch, entire S/C all @ once. I was a happy customer. No chirp and a return of the endless rush of torque. Fewer mods than you, just Renntech pulley and ECU, Sprintbooster on the '05.

Skeeter
Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with the MB Tech. He has informed me that the entire supercharger, clutch, bearings, and pully are getting replaced. WOW. Was not expecting that.......

So this is consistent with what happened with your job.
Are they aware you have an 80mm TB on there.If so,did they say anything about it,or did they give you a reason why they are replacing the entire SC?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 AM

E55
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Where'd you guys buy your Mercury warranty from? Do you go direct, or is it something you do with a local salesperson?

Thanks!

Skeeter
Auto warranty broker http://www.autowarrantybroker.com is where i got mine.
After shopping around specifically for the Mercury Platinum Warranty, they were the cheapest i found .. about $300 less then most places and about $500 less than the dealer wanted for it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM

E55
what is the campaign number/part number/description for the the SC clutch pack?

I want to be well armed with this data when i go in to service
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM

E55
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Yep, they replaced my entire S/C unit as well, along with the pump and a bunch of other stuff. Love that factory warranty.

You guys are winning me over to the notion of buying the Mercury extended warranty... I'm super skeptical when it comes to aftermarket warranties, but it seems that I've heard enough good things from people here to suggest that it'd be a safe option. I wish MB would let me extend my factory warranty, but I'm not the original owner, no CPO for me

Thanks!

Skeeter
Skeeter,

Since Mercury does not use license insurance agent, they can not sell to CA people so if you go through the website, you will not be able to purchase the warranty. If you call them and if you have an out of state address then you can purchase it and use it or transfer it later on to your CA address.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM

03 E55
I got mine from MB of Laguna Niguel. PM me and I'll send you the contact info. It wasn't cheap.