W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

????Pull The Engine To Replace Clutch Pack????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
????Pull The Engine To Replace Clutch Pack????

I stopped by my dealer today to check on my car. I had new tires to put on and I wanted a service so I could buy an extended warranty before 50,000 lapsed. I gave them the DTB on the clutch pack and they were replacing it, but had an engine hoist bolted to the supercharger and had the motor jacked about 10-12 inches out of the engine bay so they could get the clutch off.I'll probably have to sell the car when I get it back. I shudder to think that they unloosened all those connections necessary to raise the motor up or did they disconnect them?

Last edited by AmenMercedesGo; 09-18-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
What?????

Makes no sense at all bro. Supercharger clutch pack is smack dab on the front and even if they had to pull the whole supercharger, engine still stays intact.

Interested to hear what Vadim thinks they might have been doing.

That is a friggin trip!!!

Motor mounts possibly bad too??
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Might want to get your SA on the phone and see whats going on there.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
10-12"??!! That seems a bit high to me. When I did mine, https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/207506-diy-s-c-clutch-install.html , I only had to raise it about an inch which kept plenty of slack in the lines. It only needs to be raised enough to get an impact wrench on the bolt which means just enough to clear the radiator fan.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by BrianS
10-12"??!! That seems a bit high to me. When I did mine, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207506 , I only had to raise it about an inch which kept plenty of slack in the lines. It only needs to be raised enough to get an impact wrench on the bolt which means just enough to clear the radiator fan.
This was my initial thought,but wasnt sure if the Mb techs had a tool to lock the clutch from spinning or not,guess not.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM

2005 E55
okay may it was an inch or 2, but they had it jacked up.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by AmenMercedesGo

there is a huge difference between 10-12 inches and 2 inches...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
10-12"??!! That seems a bit high to me. When I did mine, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207506 , I only had to raise it about an inch which kept plenty of slack in the lines. It only needs to be raised enough to get an impact wrench on the bolt which means just enough to clear the radiator fan.
You didn't mention in your original post that you had to raise the engine?

Why not take the fan out instead? or is there still not enough room.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
don't you know that you only need to exagerate measurements like that when buying shoes or condoms...and even then only if there's a cute sales woman involved.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
don't you know that you only need to exagerate measurements like that when buying shoes or condoms...and even then only if there's a cute sales woman involved.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 AM

2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Raising the engine??

OKAY.........Can you clarify something for me. To put in the new SC clutch pack which is going on right now on my car with the new supercharger, they have to disconnect from the engine and raise it??

I was not aware of this.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OzE55
You didn't mention in your original post that you had to raise the engine?

Why not take the fan out instead? or is there still not enough room.
Actually, yes, removing the fan would be perfectly fine too. Not sure why I didn't because that would have been even faster. Sometime it's the most obvious things that ya miss.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
OKAY.........Can you clarify something for me. To put in the new SC clutch pack which is going on right now on my car with the new supercharger, they have to disconnect from the engine and raise it??

I was not aware of this.

Raising the engine here really means removing two 13mm hex head bolts (that's it) from the two rear engine mounts from below. These only keep the mounts attached to the frame, not to the engine itself. From there I put a piece of wood on a jack under the engine and jacked it up an inch or so. Very easy, but like mentioned above, removing the fan would give similar access.

After thinking about it, the time involved removing the fan vs removing two bolts and jacking the engine is basically the same.

Also, if they are replacing the entire supercharger assembley then the new clutch and pulley are already installed. They will not have to raise the engine at all to replace the SC. In fact, you car doesn't even need to be on a lift for this procedure.

Last edited by BrianS; 09-19-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Brian,

Did your new clutch finally remove squeak or did it come back? Would you say power increase or same feel power wise as last clutch?

Thanks for any info. My warranty is up in Nov and I was thinking of getting my tech to replace it for me before it's up.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 AM

2005 E55
Picked Her Up And Looked Over Everything For Stupidity Damage. Looked Okay, But Now Runs Like Crap. Acceleration Is Jumpy And Shifty And After Running The **** Out Of It On My G-tech Pro The Check Engine Light Came On. Tomorow Back To The Dealer. Any Ideas What Check Engine Typically Means? Maf? O2 Sensor? Bad Air Pump?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Picked Her Up And Looked Over Everything For Stupidity Damage. Looked Okay, But Now Runs Like Crap. Acceleration Is Jumpy And Shifty And After Running The **** Out Of It On My G-tech Pro The Check Engine Light Came On. Tomorow Back To The Dealer. Any Ideas What Check Engine Typically Means? Maf? O2 Sensor? Bad Air Pump?
I had my SC assembly replaced Monday and it runs like a champ. It should feel a little jumpy since they did the Sneaky ECU reset by disconnecting the battery. I did not have any CEL lights go off YET.

I am off for a vacation (Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor Me.) and driving the new BEAST to get there..........YAHOOOOOOOOO....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey Brian,

Did your new clutch finally remove squeak or did it come back? Would you say power increase or same feel power wise as last clutch?

Thanks for any info. My warranty is up in Nov and I was thinking of getting my tech to replace it for me before it's up.
The new clutch removed the squeak and rough engagement. It hasn't come back at all. Even with my Renntech pulley, the engagement is very smooth. I think the power is the same but the delivery is much smoother. I noticed a definite power increase after the crank pulley and ECU tune but it still stayed nice and smooth.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM

The new clutch removed the squeak and rough engagement. It hasn't come back at all. Even with my Renntech pulley, the engagement is very smooth. I think the power is the same but the delivery is much smoother. I noticed a definite power increase after the crank pulley and ECU tune but it still stayed nice and smooth.
How is the new pully working????????

Are you noticing a BIG difference. When you talking er to the track??
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM

2004 E55 AMG
It really depends on the code so it's hard to say, but I don't see why you'd get a CEL if the only thing that was replace was the SC pulley. No vacuum lines or electronics need to be disconnected to do this job. It's only a mechanical repair unless the techs on your car were hacks.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 PM

2008 E63
He already said they jacked the motor up to do the clutch pack, so I think the "hack" comment is a given.

I had mine done yesterday and they didn't have to disconnect the battery, so when I picked it up this morning after a long highway trip over the weekend, it felt like Grandpa's car except no chirp and jerk! I need to do the "sneaky reset" before I drive home just to get the beast back. Either that or I'll just drive it like I stole it for a few miles.....yeah, that sounds more fun!

FYI the smooth engagement and power delivery is great!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
How is the new pully working????????

Are you noticing a BIG difference. When you talking er to the track??
I'm noticing a big differenced, not a HUGE difference. I've been out of town so I'll have to get to the track soon. Too bad the MIR event is on a Monday because that's only about 2hrs from me. Maybe I'll shuffle the schedule around to go.