Re Larger TB...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Re Larger TB...

So been wondering about where the benefits of the larger TB lie ... is it because the engine is simply getting more air - or is it because the S/C has to work less hard to suck air through the TB , so parasitic losses from the S/C would drop off... or is most of the S/C's work done on the compression side, and if its getting more air to compress its maybe working even harder - albeit only slightly!!!!

Why does this matter? Well in the first scenario the car should run a little leaner all else constant, and in the second scenario the A/F would remain constant...

Clearly this mod is a great one (all parts are 100% AMG and almost undetectable)... but more from a scientific standpoint which would be more correct?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
It's because the engine is getting more air. The old rule: more in, more out- big air pump. The car should run leaner also with the same ECU program. Same fuel amount, more air, mean leaner.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by dsc
It's because the engine is getting more air. The old rule: more in, more out- big air pump. The car should run leaner also with the same ECU program. Same fuel amount, more air, mean leaner.
Actually you're car will not be any leaner than it was before this mod. The more air you engine draws in, the more air will pass by the MAF sensor and the engine will compensate by adding more fuel. If a larger TB made it leaner, then a pulley would destroy the engine
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by ErikGreen
Actually you're car will not be any leaner than it was before this mod. The more air you engine draws in, the more air will pass by the MAF sensor and the engine will compensate by adding more fuel. If a larger TB made it leaner, then a pulley would destroy the engine
I'm not so sure about that. I haven't really figured out how much the ECU compensates. But, the real point has to do with where our bottleneck lies. It is in getting Air in. The exhaust isn't the hurt side, like the intake is. These cars run pig rich as is and that is why I like the thought of a pulley without ECU tune. Same reasoning goes for the TB.

In all honesty, I believe the effects of TB are nearly as much as the oversized pulley. The gains are similar.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by stevebez
So been wondering about where the benefits of the larger TB lie ... is it because the engine is simply getting more air - or is it because the S/C has to work less hard to suck air through the TB , so parasitic losses from the S/C would drop off... or is most of the S/C's work done on the compression side, and if its getting more air to compress its maybe working even harder - albeit only slightly!!!!

Why does this matter? Well in the first scenario the car should run a little leaner all else constant, and in the second scenario the A/F would remain constant...

Clearly this mod is a great one (all parts are 100% AMG and almost undetectable)... but more from a scientific standpoint which would be more correct?
I think the answer is both, "because the engine is simply getting more air - or is it because the S/C has to work less hard to suck air through the TB , so parasitic losses from the S/C would drop off".

If I were to keep the camshafts and heads the same but increased engine displacement, I would expect my boost level to go down but IAT to lower and the net would be more power. I believe the TB/airbox and headers would effectively do the same thing, and that may be where some of the benefit comes from.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ErikGreen
The more air you engine draws in, the more air will pass by the MAF sensor and the engine will compensate by adding more fuel.
E55's dont have MAF's.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Jrocket
E55's dont have MAF's.
Yes, I was informed of this today...Thank you
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
I think the answer is both, "because the engine is simply getting more air - or is it because the S/C has to work less hard to suck air through the TB , so parasitic losses from the S/C would drop off".

If I were to keep the camshafts and heads the same but increased engine displacement, I would expect my boost level to go down but IAT to lower and the net would be more power. I believe the TB/airbox and headers would effectively do the same thing, and that may be where some of the benefit comes from.

Bingo!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jangy
I'm not so sure about that. I haven't really figured out how much the ECU compensates. But, the real point has to do with where our bottleneck lies. It is in getting Air in. The exhaust isn't the hurt side, like the intake is. These cars run pig rich as is and that is why I like the thought of a pulley without ECU tune. Same reasoning goes for the TB.

In all honesty, I believe the effects of TB are nearly as much as the oversized pulley. The gains are similar.
I agree..

I would say the ECU tune is needed for cars that have multiple mods working in combination.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
has any one actuly done a dino with just a TB?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Zod
has any one actuly done a dino with just a TB?
i had exhaust and pulley but i posted pre and post tb dyno and 1/4mile data in vrus' tb thread.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i had exhaust and pulley but i posted pre and post tb dyno and 1/4mile data in vrus' tb thread.
cheers will check it out
Old 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Look at the '06 SL55 vs the '07 SL55. The only difference is TB. Pulley, etc are all the same. They claim over 30HP.