SLR Pistons & Rods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
SLR Pistons & Rods

Thinking of dropping in SLR pistons and Rods to reinforce internals... will they fit in our W211 engine, anybody knows how to obtain these and prices...wonder if they are cheap, lol! j/k
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Thinking of dropping in SLR pistons and Rods...
Honestly dude, that is so badass. Good luck with this project and congrats on your 11 sec pass. Seems like your car is moving up in the ranks now
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Thanks! trying to see if possible...nothing beats getting advice from the pro's, lol!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
It's pricey.. The crank and rods are the same if I remember correctly. Just the pistons are a different part #.

I compared the SLR, CLK-DTM and E55 at one point and have all this data somewhere..

I have an iron sleeve 5.7L forged bottom end solution that is almost ready for primetime.. I figured that with a bunch of cars getting up there in mileage, and people cracking pistons due to detonation, something like this would come in handy.

I'll have pics to show soon..

Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Thanks! trying to see if possible...nothing beats getting advice from the pro's, lol!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by vrus
It's pricey.. The crank and rods are the same if I remember correctly. Just the pistons are a different part #.

I compared the SLR, CLK-DTM and E55 at one point and have all this data somewhere..

I have an iron sleeve 5.7L forged bottom end solution that is almost ready for primetime.. I figured that with a bunch of cars getting up there in mileage, and people cracking pistons due to detonation, something like this would come in handy.

Your help is always appreciated man, as soon as you find this info please let me know ASAP. I am up for this little project.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55

Victor,
How is it going? Do you think it is safe to sleeve these cars with as much HP as they are putting out? How much is this bottom end solution? I assume it will include pistons, rods, etc. And of course the question that is always the most important to me. WHEN CAN I GET IT IN MY HANDS?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
There are alot of factory built cars that use sleeves (ferrari, GM, etc).

All the LS1/LS2/LS7 GM motors that the tuners are building up with TT kits are running Iron sleeves also.. The great thing with the sleeves is that should you damage one, you simply replace that one sleeve and you are good to go. Of course on the MB block I believe Ted & I are both pioneering this because I dont know of anyone else that will have a sleeved 55 block.

My engine builder recommended it so I am comfortable with the setup.

Not sure on pricing because I am waiting on the pistons. The bottom end will either be a shortblock preassembled, or can be purchased in pieces as needed. I am using stock crank.. Rods are being reviewed.. They tell me there is no point in making new ones because the stock ones are strong and they left nothing on the table for them to be modified so no point in recreating another set.

I will be fly-cutting pistons so I can get more aggressive with the cam selection..

Its going to be a few weeks before I can offer anything.. I want to install and run it on the dyno first and see what kind of power it makes.

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Victor,
How is it going? Do you think it is safe to sleeve these cars with as much HP as they are putting out? How much is this bottom end solution? I assume it will include pistons, rods, etc. And of course the question that is always the most important to me. WHEN CAN I GET IT IN MY HANDS?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Here is a pic of a stock Ferrari 360 motor that I am currently having reinforced to accept twin turbos.. Notice the sleeves and the fact that there is no wall between the piston bores..

Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Oh! I believe you Victor. I only stated that because I think it would be a first on a 55 motor.

more importantly... CHECK YOUR PM... Message sent....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Why you do only 5.7 big bore...not 5,8, 6.0 or 6.3 like Bleek has...???
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I didnt want any more stroke on the motor. My car will be a TwinTurbo 5.7L when I am done.

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Why you do only 5.7 big bore...not 5,8, 6.0 or 6.3 like Bleek has...???
Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
But wouldnt it be better 6.3 TT rather then 5.7 TT ???

I am with you on this...if TT kit will be affordable I will go this route as well...

Then may be need to get something like Skyline 4wd system which will make our car actually drivable, cause rightnow I can launch or do rolling start at 1gear...either ESP cut off all the power or I go sideways

Did you ever thought about it ???...our MKB dealer here made CL55 and CLS55 620HP + into 4 matic cars...You wont believe it but CLS 55 off the line smokes all Skykine and Evos...

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 10-10-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

Did you ever thought about it ???...our MKB dealer here made CL55 and CLS55 620HP + into 4 matic cars...You wont believe it but CLS 55 off the line smokes all Skykine and Evos...
Damn that would be a sweet launcher!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
OK so from what I hear it is a good decision right? Victor I am waiting on you for the info, lol!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
There are alot of factory built cars that use sleeves (ferrari, GM, etc).

All the LS1/LS2/LS7 GM motors that the tuners are building up with TT kits are running Iron sleeves also.. The great thing with the sleeves is that should you damage one, you simply replace that one sleeve and you are good to go. Of course on the MB block I believe Ted & I are both pioneering this because I dont know of anyone else that will have a sleeved 55 block.
My engine builder recommended it so I am comfortable with the setup.
They tell me there is no point in making new ones because the stock ones are strong and they left nothing on the table for them to be modified so no point in recreating another set.

I will be fly-cutting pistons so I can get more aggressive with the cam selection..
This is tru. However if the sleeving process can be done reliably on the 5.5L block then that's a different story and a good look. Hopefully all goes well with your project Vic.

P.S. I did want to mention that the Mahle stck pistons and rods that do come in the AMG blck are very strong and don't need to be upgraded or replaced like you said ,unless damaged.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Damn that would be a sweet launcher!

YEAH...no BS...we need to work on this...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
But wouldnt it be better 6.3 TT rather then 5.7 TT ???
Mike,

Displacement is calculated by taking the cylinder bore x piston stroke. While displacement is almost always king, there are limitations when taking an existing block and increasing it's displacement. 10% is roughly the most you'll see from most engines, and this is almost always primarily a result of boring (for a number of reasons). However, that has limitations - such as the cylinder walls, spacing between cylinders, nikasil coatings, compromising integrity, etc.

It gets really complicated really quickly, and each block is different. Do not automatically assume that you should always increase displacement by as much as is physically possible because doing that has it's drawbacks.

On a slight offset from this discussion, and some will disagree with me, I find it somewhat preemptive that people are already talking about building blocks and spending significant dollars doing so without knowing what the physical limits of the stock block are. I'm not talking about theoretical limits, I'm talking about actual limits. Maybe no one wants to sacrifice losing a block but it seems with all this investment going into pioneering the strengthening process it would be somewhat conducive to future development if there was a point at which we could say that one needs to start thinking about a built block. I would be extremely, extremely surprised if this block couldn't take 800hp if not more from the factory. I don't think many people are going to need to touch their blocks, especially if we have good rods and a good crank. Pistons are often lost as a result of poor tuning and poor combution, not massive horsepower - although yes, pistons have their limits of power as well.

My $.02

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 10-10-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Whats pricing gonna be like? I guess this announcement confirms my next modification!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Mike,

Displacement is calculated by taking the cylinder bore x piston stroke. While displacement is almost always king, there are limitations when taking an existing block and increasing it's displacement. 10% is roughly the most you'll see from most engines, and this is almost always primarily a result of boring (for a number of reasons). However, that has limitations - such as the cylinder walls, spacing between cylinders, nikasil coatings, compromising integrity, etc.

It gets really complicated really quickly, and each block is different. Do not automatically assume that you should always increase displacement by as much as is physically possible because doing that has it's drawbacks.

Hope this helps.

-m

Thank you Marcus...Vaeth has 5.8 stroker for E55...

I would be intresting in poricing as well and most important the POWER gains...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I would be extremely, extremely surprised if this block couldn't take 800hp if not more from the factory. I don't think many people are going to need to touch their blocks, especially if we have good rods and a good crank. Pistons are often lost as a result of poor tuning and poor combution, not massive horsepower - although yes, pistons have their limits of power as well.

My $.02

-m
As I have highlighted Marcus comments. Your .02 is worth a million dollars and exactly what I preach!

Marcus you have hit the nail right on the head!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 10-10-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Whats pricing gonna be like? I guess this announcement confirms my next modification!
Ahmad you may just be fine with how your blck is right now. AMG did a good job in building these blcks and the parts that they use are not cheap slugs. If you get proper custom dyno tuning(and I'm not talking some mail-in-flash) and don't exceed the limits of the pistons and rods(which is pretty high based on their quality build),like Marcus indicates and I try to say,you'll be good to go.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
This is tru. However if the sleeving process can be done reliably on the 5.5L block then that's a different story and a good look. Hopefully all goes well with your project Vic.

P.S. I did want to mention that the Mahle stck pistons and rods that do come in the AMG blck are very strong and don't need to be upgraded or replaced like you said ,unless damaged.
+1, that's why they make alot of the formula-one pistons.

I would also be willing to build a twin turbo with a 100% stock long block. The stock assembly will make over 750 rwhp before it becomes a problem.
Give me a good crank and the longest rod possible anyday of the week.

Last edited by rflow306; 10-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
OK...I would like TT too...How much ???
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rflow306
+1, that's why they make alot of the formula-one pistons.

I would also be willing to build a twin turbo with a 100% stock long block. The stock assembly will make over 750 rwhp before it becomes a problem.
Albert you are the man and I forgot to mention it was a pleasure meeting you and witnessing your Beast! Plus you r well informed and have an excellent example of a well tuned beast.

The fact that you can run 130mph in high 10 seconds in 90+ degree weather and 90+ humidty using NOS and low 11's at over 120mph just motor is a testament to how well tuned your car is and how great a job MB AMG has done with the STOCk internals of the 5.5L motor.

Like we have all said on Mon as well,nothing beats ,custom dyno tuning and it seems like the AMG's agree and love this as well.

A car can only be made more reliable if it's making major HP with custom dyno tuning regardless of the cost IMOP.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Mikhail,

With the way you run your car (like a Madman) - the question is going to be how much do you have to spend?

For the typical street driver, 800hp is easily achieve on stock internals, but for the guy who's topping out his car on a weekly basis... that's why MB/AMG over-engineered the blocks to begin with

-m

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR Pistons & Rods