Sponsored by:

SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?

Wow....my heart is still racing and it's been over an hour since I got home. I finally met up with CH and we decided to take our babies out for a few runs. I have to say, this has been the most fun i've had in a long time. We had 5 runs in total. All our runs ranged from 60-155 mph. The first two runs I didn't put the car in the right gear I was just in D and Sky was walking away. The 3rd, 4th and 5th runs I finally put the car in Sport mode and 3rd gear and I was walking Sky. I did notice in every video that the M5 would get the jump everytime. And driven correctly the M5 is very fast. Yes, I have pics and videos. Haha....

And theres one more surpise. LP640!?!?!? Now that thing is a Beast! I'm going to post pics and post the videos. I'll Let CH chime in. It was absolutely amazing today. Fun Fun Fun!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Glad to hear the car is good sunny. I get mine back from the accident with that deer tommorrow. Cant wait for pics and vids.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Awesome! I'm glad you got to enjoy your beast so soon! Now post up them videos
Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Sunny55
Wow....my heart is still racing and it's been over an hour since I got home. I finally met up with CH and we decided to take our babies out for a few runs. I have to say, this has been the most fun i've had in a long time. We had 5 runs in total. All our runs ranged from 60-155 mph. The first two runs I didn't put the car in the right gear I was just in D and Sky was walking away. The 3rd, 4th and 5th runs I finally put the car in Sport mode and 3rd gear and I was walking Sky. I did notice in every video that the M5 would get the jump everytime. And driven correctly the M5 is very fast. Yes, I have pics and videos. Haha....

And theres one more surpise. LP640!?!?!? Now that thing is a Beast! I'm going to post pics and post the videos. I'll Let CH chime in. It was absolutely amazing today. Fun Fun Fun!!!
Sunny...WOW, glad you guys had fun. I am dying to test my car also. Your car must be a beast, Next time please let me know, or when you are around the hood give me a shout. we will meet up.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
INSANE day today. Since Sunny got his car back from the shop I've been dying to run it and besides, we needed to ROLL THE F*** out.

We took our cars out to the nearest mega-highway and started rolling tape. Sunny's car is insane fast, I've driven it and well expected to get completely mauled. Much to my surprise I didn't get beaten nearly as bad as I had originally expected. I think he needs a little more time to get used to the car and its powerband, as he had it in D (moron!!) when we first went. His car is a K2 with the IC Pump Upgrade and Phenolic spacers, my E60 M5 is totally stock. We both had our girlfriends in the passenger seat, they weigh about 110lbs apiece. Sunny's girl filmed everything, and did a damn good job!

Traffic was scarce but inconvenient, we had a difficult time getting two lanes open for a lot of space, and we really wanted a 60-150 run for the books. We settled for a 70-150mph run and it was definitely an AWESOME ONE.

We were both hellbent on getting these runs as even and fair as possible, but then again we never run on 3 honks so the first few runs we fumbled about like complete amateurs. The last run we got completely clean, in gear, both in our powerbands, 70-150. I'd say he got a length on me when he passed me at about 110 and stayed ahead. We taped the entire thing, so VIDEO WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT.

So, awesome runs behind us, having shattered most NJ traffic laws and both totally freaking out, we pull off the freeway and on to a smaller highway heading directly back to my place. SLOW, in the right lane. Five miles down the way, slowing to a red light, I see a wraith a quarter mile behind us in the far left lane. Very low, very wide, dark gray with dark gray wheels, I thought Charlie Sheen had returned to take his revenge on us (some of you MAY actually get that joke). It zoomed up on my left as I gesticulated madly trying to get Sunny's attention as he rolled behind me. As it zoomed ever closer up on my left I recognized the oversized passenger-side vent and knew....LP640.

His window and mine blazed ever downward as I bounced up and down in my seat, "DUDE, that's a 640 right???"

The guy couldn't have been cooler, "Yeah man!"

The light turned green, I was paralyzed with excitement, I looked at my girlfriend next to me, "Babe, this is going to absolutely rock." The Lambo ignited into full song, glowing grey in the setting sun, I followed him in the left lane and we all screamed down the highway, passing a highway patrollman ticketing an Evo IX on the opposite side of the highway, complete disregard for the law. This kind of stuff never happens around here, we had to take a chance at glory. We chased the LP640 along but he just smoked us, hard, multiple times. The lambo driver would just let me pull up next to him, jump up and down in his seat and give me the thumbs up, then scream along in that beautiful machine effortlessly. What a cool dude, maybe late 30's rocking a friggin sweatsuit.

Overall the day was awesome, we had a great time and we got some good footage to show for it. As soon as Sunny's girlfriend can sync up her phone, we'll post it all for you guys to check out.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 10-14-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the vids
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
INSANE day today. Since Sunny got his car back from the shop I've been dying to run it and besides, we needed to ROLL THE F*** out.

We took our cars out to the nearest mega-highway and started rolling tape. Sunny's car is insane fast, I've driven it and well expected to get completely mauled. Much to my surprise I didn't get beaten nearly as bad as I had originally expected. I think he needs a little more time to get used to the car and its powerband, as he had it in D (moron!!) when we first went. His car is a K2 with the IC Pump Upgrade and Phenolic spacers, my E60 M5 is totally stock. We both had our girlfriends in the passenger seat, they weigh about 110lbs apiece. Sunny's girl filmed everything, and did a damn good job!

Traffic was scarce but inconvenient, we had a difficult time getting two lanes open for a lot of space, and we really wanted a 60-150 run for the books. We settled for a 70-150mph run and it was definitely an AWESOME ONE.

We were both hellbent on getting these runs as even and fair as possible, but then again we never run on 3 honks so the first few runs we fumbled about like complete amateurs. The last run we got completely clean, in gear, both in our powerbands, 70-150. I'd say he got a length on me when he passed me at about 110 and stayed ahead. We taped the entire thing, so VIDEO WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT.

So, awesome runs behind us, having shattered most NJ traffic laws and both totally freaking out, we pull off the freeway and on to a smaller highway heading directly back to my place. SLOW, in the right lane. Five miles down the way, slowing to a red light, I see a wraith a quarter mile behind us in the far left lane. Very low, very wide, dark gray with dark gray wheels, I thought Charlie Sheen had returned to take his revenge on us (some of you MAY actually get that joke). It zoomed up on my left as I gesticulated madly trying to get Sunny's attention as he rolled behind me. As it zoomed ever closer up on my left I recognized the oversized passenger-side vent and knew....LP640.

His window and mine blazed ever downward as I bounced up and down in my seat, "DUDE, that's a 640 right???"

The guy couldn't have been cooler, "Yeah man!"

The light turned green, I was paralyzed with excitement, I looked at my girlfriend next to me, "Babe, this is going to absolutely rock." The Lambo ignited into full song, glowing grey in the setting sun, I followed him in the left lane and we all screamed down the highway, passing a highway patrollman ticketing an Evo IX on the opposite side of the highway, complete disregard for the law. This kind of stuff never happens around here, we had to take a chance at glory. We chased the LP640 along but he just smoked us, hard, multiple times. The lambo driver would just let me pull up next to him, jump up and down in his seat and give me the thumbs up, then scream along in that beautiful machine effortlessly. What a cool dude, maybe late 30's rocking a friggin sweatsuit.

Overall the day was awesome, we had a great time and we got some good footage to show for it. As soon as Sunny's girlfriend can sync up her phone, we'll post it all for you guys to check out.
Shame on you guys for not calling me....lol! Good runs sky, definitely include me in the next one, even if it's in Mexico!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
.....As soon as Sunny's girlfriend can sync up her phone, we'll post it all for you guys to check out.
Hurry the f*$k up j/k
(still hurry up though)
Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

SL55 AMG, M5 E60, 2002 S55 AMG, Range Rover Sport Supercharged,
Wait.

The SL55 wasn't stock? Forget it then!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Porsche 996 (300Hp) Powered Boxster/ Audi A6 Station Wagon
Seems like alot of fun
Now we want the vidos

J.Seven
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post it already! Damn!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 AM

W203 C230k '05
Originally Posted by SteveFox
Hurry the f*$k up j/k
(still hurry up though)
hahahhahaha thats funny

yeah hurry up j/k
Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Ok guys! Here are some pics and links to youtube for the vids. Enjoy!

Run 1:
We never did the 3 honk thing when we roll out, so this was our first time because we wanted this on video. Forgive us for looking like amateurs. Sky got a good jump on the M5 and stayed ahead. Like he said before I just blanked out and left it in D!!! Haha... Roll was from 50 and he cut in front of me at around 125-130 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVSFf9zoJA

Run 2:
Still trying to get the timing down, it was still a bit awkward after the 3rd honk. Started around 60 mph. Sky got the jump again, and I was still in D!!! I'm an idiot. Sky had to slow down cuz there was something in front of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gz8bf4J8o

Run 3:
Finally got into Sport mode 3rd gear. Filming started on 3rd honk. Finally getting the 3 honks down, we had similar starts. Started at 70 mph. My SL55 started pulling on the M5 100-110mph and passed the M5. Stayed ahead and slowly walking away by 1 car length. Got up to 150+ mph. Great run here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajyPYHMLOKU

Run 4:
Started at 60 mph all the way to 150+ mph again. M5 got the jump. SL55 started reeling the M5 in and began passing it around 100-110 mph. SL55 stayed ahead after that. Same result as Run 3. Sky had to move over to the right lane towards the end of the video. Notice the car in the middle lane. I wonder what that guy in the was thinking....LOL. Another awesome run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLMMnfA5W4

Run 5:
The same exact results as Runs 3 and 4. Started around 60 mph. Sky got ahead and I started reeling him in and passing him at 100-110 mph. Sky split to the right side earlier this time and we both had to slow down due to traffic up ahead. Killed the video while we were slowing down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sx8jhOfK34

Overall, the Kleemann K2 package with IC pump upgrade and evosport phenolic spacers was definitley worth it! The cooling mods really helped top end. Remember guys, the SL55 is about or maybe more than 300 lbs (panorama included) heavier than the M5. I definitely saved weight with the Evosport rotors, Kleemann headers, Kleemann sport cats, and deleting the resonators. Still patiently waiting for the new wheels. BTW, I also orderd a set of CCW 505A wheels. Very lightweight! The BMW M5 is a very fast car and the gearing is incredible. If driven correctly and properly like Sky did, it's a warrior. I've seen plenty of M5 and M6s pulling and walking away from many 55 and 63 AMGs after 100-110 mph.

I am very satisfied and pleased with the results. I love the way my car is lowered. Looks so much more aggressive now. The black grilles and side gills and hood vents look absolutley stunning. Now I really can't wait to get that 65 bumper on again!

Now, I have to get used to all the new power. My car totally transformed and I can't wait to start running off the line. After Sky and I got off the highway, before we ran into the LP640, we decided to burn a lot of rubber at a red light. I wanted to see how the LSD was without ESP so I took ESP off and when the light hit Green we hit it hard and we were both almost sideways!!! With that much power and ESP off, LSD wasn't able to do much. We were both trying to gain control and from my rearview mirror all I could see was smoke. It stunk like rubber too. Haha...So fun so fun. After that.....we saw the LP640.

These two vids are fun. The 3 of us never went all out the whole time, but we had fun. I hope the sounds quality is decent. That LP640 sounded so so so sinister! It wailed and everytime the dude punched it, it was just so fast and sounded so bada$$. We tried to catch up and chase it, but it was basically toying with the both of us. Cool dude in the LP640.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrn5vDfNqig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztyB4a7Oluo

Enjoy the pics and videos!
Attached Thumbnails SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?-dsc09428.jpg   SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?-dsc09426.jpg   SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?-dsc09448.jpg   SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?-dsc09449.jpg   SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?-dsc09436-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Sunny55; 10-15-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Sunny55
Ok guys! Here are some pics and links to youtube for the vids. Enjoy!

Run 1:
We never did the 3 honk thing when we roll out, so this was our first time because we wanted this on video. Forgive us for looking like amateurs. Sky got a good jump on the M5 and stayed ahead. Like he said before I just blanked out and left it in D!!! Haha... Roll was from 50 and he cut in front of me at around 125-130 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVSFf9zoJA

Run 2:
Still trying to get the timing down, it was still a bit awkward after the 3rd honk. Started around 60 mph. Sky got the jump again, and I was still in D!!! I'm an idiot. Sky had to slow down cuz there was something in front of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gz8bf4J8o

Run 3:
Finally got into Sport mode 3rd gear. Filming started on 3rd honk. Finally getting the 3 honks down, we had similar starts. Started at 70 mph. My SL55 started pulling on the M5 100-110mph and passed the M5. Stayed ahead and slowly walking away by 1 car length. Got up to 150+ mph. Great run here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajyPYHMLOKU

Run 4:
Started at 60 mph all the way to 150+ mph again. M5 got the jump. SL55 started reeling the M5 in and began passing it around 100-110 mph. SL55 stayed ahead after that. Same result as Run 3. Sky had to move over to the right lane towards the end of the video. Notice the car in the middle lane. I wonder what that guy in the was thinking....LOL. Another awesome run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLMMnfA5W4

Run 5:
The same exact results as Runs 3 and 4. Started around 60 mph. Sky got ahead and I started reeling him in and passing him at 100-110 mph. Sky split to the right side earlier this time and we both had to slow down due to traffic up ahead. Killed the video while we were slowing down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sx8jhOfK34

Overall, the Kleemann K2 package with IC pump upgrade and evosport phenolic spacers was definitley worth it! The cooling mods really helped top end. Remember guys, the SL55 is about or maybe more than 300 lbs (panorama included) heavier than the M5. I definitely saved weight with the Evosport rotors, Kleemann headers, Kleemann sport cats, and deleting the resonators. Still patiently waiting for the new wheels. BTW, I also orderd a set of CCW 505A wheels. Very lightweight! The BMW M5 is a very fast car and the gearing is incredible. If driven correctly and properly like Sky did, it's a warrior. I've seen plenty of M5 and M6s pulling and walking away from many 55 and 63 AMGs after 100-110 mph.

I am very satisfied and pleased with the results. I love the way my car is lowered. Looks so much more aggressive now. The black grilles and side gills and hood vents look absolutley stunning. Now I really can't wait to get that 65 bumper on again!

Now, I have to get used to all the new power. My car totally transformed and I can't wait to start running off the line. After Sky and I got off the highway, before we ran into the LP640, we decided to burn a lot of rubber at a red light. I wanted to see how the LSD was without ESP so I took ESP off and when the light hit Green we hit it hard and we were both almost sideways!!! With that much power and ESP off, LSD wasn't able to do much. We were both trying to gain control and from my rearview mirror all I could see was smoke. It stunk like rubber too. Haha...So fun so fun. After that.....we saw the LP640.

These two vids are fun. The 3 of us never went all out the whole time, but we had fun. I hope the sounds quality is decent. That LP640 sounded so so so sinister! It wailed and everytime the dude punched it, it was just so fast and sounded so bada$$. We tried to catch up and chase it, but it was basically toying with the both of us. Cool dude in the LP640.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrn5vDfNqig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztyB4a7Oluo

Enjoy the pics and videos!

WOW you destroyed CH.. LOL kidding CH, your car sounds great. Looks like the mods really helped that fat as SL 55. otherwise M5 says buh bye? Weird the 55 seemed to do better at higher speeds, guess the cooling mods really helped. Where is the Video of the 110 lb gals? I see both of you rolling with windows down, tisk tisk.

Great stuff guys. I think you may have done better than you think vs that Lamb.

Thanks for posting , CH , love your style bro miss ya
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
What a cool dude, maybe late 30's rocking a friggin sweatsuit.
Always like reading your post's CH.

Where ya been hiding?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 AM

W203 C230k '05
great runs very good write up

as said above why with windows down good job
Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 AM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Nice vids Gotta give props to your GF on a job well done on the camera-man work.

That 640 looked mean. That one big exhaust looks amazing.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:47 AM

XLR
NICE CH! Highways included but not subject to= 23,80,287
Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Porsche 996 (300Hp) Powered Boxster/ Audi A6 Station Wagon
Great videos and pics
It´s amazing how the M can keep with your car even after all the mods you´ve done, got to give alot of credit to those guys in Bavaria.
In stock form the SL55 would be totaly trashed by the bimmer

I´ve driven the M5 and it has alot of power, but it´s delivered in such smooth way that you really can´t tell it has 500Hp. For instance the 996TT (420HP) feels more powerful and fast than the M, but try to make a side by side with the Bimmer and the Porsche will be smoked. This is due to way power is deliver, Turbo cars always give you the hush an atmo engine can´t give.

Anyway it would nice to see this side by side from 0-150/170Mph with your SL55 and the M. I know it´s impossible to perform such test on public roads, but I believe the difference would be bigger, and the mods you´ve made to your car would really shine in that kind of exercise.

Congrats for the thread and keep them coming, nothing like seeing those beasts being properly abused

J.Seven
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Haha, amateurs! (j/k dudes lol)

Damn "Mexicans" having all the fun! I hope we can all meet up someday, my kinda people . Thanks for the documentation and wtf, insane LP640!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Nice work on the runs, pics, and vids.
My only question/comment is why start in 3rd gear @ 60? I always start in 2nd gear (awesome powerband spot for the car) and run it up from there and let the auto do the work (I think the shift is around 86 or 87 from 2-3).
My sense is you would have popped the M5 by a length at that speed...
TK
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Kudos to the M ... to hang with a decently modded SL.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by stevebez
Kudos to the M ... to hang with a decently modded SL.
+1, not bad on the M, very nice races.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I keep telling you that a properly driven M5 is a monster, nobody wants to listen!!! We'll give Sunny some more time to get used to his car and go at it again, I'm sure there's more juice in it, as I said before I well expected to get smoked. And yes Juice, the cooling mods REALLY helped the SL, I've been chirping about this all along, the M113 is an inefficient engine and it really shows at higher speeds and long pulls. A bigger pump is the bare minimum that you need to really free up some power. Of course you 63 guys don't have to worry about that.

As for the Lambo, that thing just made me want to mod the M. I think with some headers, a pulley, an airbox, and an ECU I'll at least be able to keep up, and put a stern raping on Sunny's car.

P.S.- My car totally needs a new clutch, we noticed it in NYC the other night, and after yesterday's runs I think its on its last leg.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 10-15-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
this is how runs with M's should be document and presented!

Give the M credit, since it was stock.

BTW: Don't all AMG's loose after 150??? (just a friendly joke)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55 AMG vs. BMW M5 vs......LP640!?!?!?