Sponsored by:

Gas Smell Horror Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Angry Gas Smell Horror Story

I took my car to Bobby Rahal Mercedes here in Pittsburgh because I smell gas and car has problem starting. Dealer says problem is a sensor at rear of car near tank. I take car home (60 miles round trip). Gas smell still there. Car still has problem starting. I take car back. They keep it for the weekend. Today they check car out and tell me they can't find a problem and return the car to me. I take car to gas station to fill it up and put car in garage. Three hours later I can smell gas in the house near garage. I pull car into driveway and there is a puddle of gas four feet across and a stream of gas following the car out of the garage to where I parked. At this rate, tank will be empty by morning and my asphalt driveway will have a hole in it four feet across. One spark and I could have lost car and house and and maybe a couple of lives. Tomorrow I give Dealer hell and have car towed to them on a flat bed truck.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Take it somewhere else!
Haven't they proved their incompetence?

I have a gas smell with my CL under hard acceleration, hope the outcome is not similar to yours!

Originally Posted by Coalman
I took my car to Bobby Rahal Mercedes here in Pittsburgh because I smell gas and car has problem starting. Dealer says problem is a sensor at rear of car near tank. I take car home (60 miles round trip). Gas smell still there. Car still has problem starting. I take car back. They keep it for the weekend. Today they check car out and tell me they can't find a problem and return the car to me. I take car to gas station to fill it up and put car in garage. Three hours later I can smell gas in the house near garage. I pull car into driveway and there is a puddle of gas four feet across and a stream of gas following the car out of the garage to where I parked. At this rate, tank will be empty by morning and my asphalt driveway will have a hole in it four feet across. One spark and I could have lost car and house and and maybe a couple of lives. Tomorrow I give Dealer hell and have car towed to them on a flat bed truck.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:01 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Coalman

Stay tuned.

Video the mess/damage and the possible calamity it could have caused (it may come in handy).
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Your service mechanics are either incompetent, lazy, or both. Definitely take pics or video of the leak and damage it may have caused. If your dealer has any clue or shred of customer service they will kiss your ***. If not, then head to another dealer and write MBUSA.

They put your property, family, and you at risk if that fuel happened to ignite. I would make a definite scene in the lobby of the service department and sales department if they act like your crazy or even indifferent...sometimes a calm conversation will not get things done...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jon

PS Go Steelers!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars with Stars
its a known fault on w211 and w219 that the tank become leaking in hot areas.here in kuwait we have to change every week some tanks because of leaking (a bad supersonic or ultrasonic weldseam on the plastic tank is the reason).in my old company in germany we have never ever these problems,because the temperatures are not as high as here....