Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 BMW X5
+1 on the GB
Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
We are going to make all the E55 Heat Exchangers the same size, the smaller 64oz version. If someone with an 03 really wants the larger one, I am sure I can build a special one since we already have the dimensions. But for ease of manufacturing, all will be the same size. They will use the stock oil cooler brackets for the 04+ E55s. I am still going to build a unit with an integrated oil cooler so I can do some testing, as there were requests for this. The oil cooler is mounted exactly where it is stock. In the pictures above, you just cant see it as its below the HE. That is an 05 E55.

As far as what a heat exchanger can do for you. Your IATs skyrocket when you go WOT. A better heat exchanger will keep those temps down during the run, which translates to more power since less timing is pulled. It also helps the car recover faster by bringing down those temps quickly, and not allow the engine to heatsoak. You can run back to back to back runs, and the car will feel just as strong.

I will post an ad this weekend for sure. I am just finalizing a few things.
good move...

64oz is plenty.. compared to other similar products.

If I can keep my power.. its enough for me. Next step would be to have the fan come in a bit sooner and flush the systmem with 70%water,30 Antifreeze and 1 bottle of Water Wetter.

This should make my summer enjoyable.

can you post your ITA readings. In particular with the ASP pulley.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Zod
very nice, did you do before and after data loging?
if so what was the drop recorded in temps ?
+1 whats the data
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by E55JAY
+1 whats the data
+2...or 3...or whatever.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

German
this makes the E55 looks sooo evil....

I will post a new thread this evening. Here are some teaser pictures Datalogging numbers were very good, especially considering he is using the stock pump. Well, it looks like I have a solution for everyone now

Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Sorry for the data delay. Phatmitzu can verify that we went out and collected data. And I can verify that I overwrote it by accident with about 5 seconds off logging...It was very late, what can I say But, I will be back in LA Monday, and hopefully we can go out and get some more data.

Mark has ASP Pulleys and only our heat exchanger. Stock pump, stock circuit, upgraded HE. Being that it was late, and we wanted some numbers, we forgot to install the lower engine cover as well...I seem to remember it was about 65° out. Cruising we were seeing IAT temps in the upper 70°s on the highway. Full boost runs up to 107mph we saw IATs spike to 120°, then fall back down to upper 70°s within 30 seconds. Also, coolant temps never went above 185°. I think these were great numbers considering he is using the stock pump.

I need to get some numbers on TopGun32s car, as he has the Johnson pump.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Full boost runs up to 107mph we saw IATs spike to 120°
the engine isnt making full HP at 107mph, the power robbing heat comes in at about 110+ and gets worse at 150mph, someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I am sure you are right. Its not that we didn't want to go faster, their just wasn't any more road We were doing WOT runs from 60-107 back to back to back and saw the same numbers. I am taking a guess from what I remember. I promise to get new data Monday. The heat exchanger is definitely doing its job, and not a bad one considering its the only upgrade.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
I am sure you are right. Its not that we didn't want to go faster, their just wasn't any more road We were doing WOT runs from 60-107 back to back to back and saw the same numbers. I am taking a guess from what I remember. I promise to get new data Monday. The heat exchanger is definitely doing its job, and not a bad one considering its the only upgrade.
I dont doubt you one bit just an FYI, and I know what its like running out of road as I do a bunch of datalogging myself If i never datalogged my car above 115 it would look normal in about any condition, over that and if its hot enough the DME will bleed boost and as u know the 55k's will engage the SC clutch. Another FYI, you are missing another market with the bi-turbo cars
Old 11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
You are in luck, grandma has an 06 S600 Its right down the street lol. Someone else asked me about that car as well, so maybe there is a market That is of course if she doesn't mind me tearing apart her car
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You can get heat soak just about anywhere. The guys at the 1/4 mile track complain about it all the time on sequential runs and they don't go past 120 (if that). I'm getting one of these for sure. Do you install? I want to do some other things, like pump, etc.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Yes, I do installs. Contact me at the email in my signature for further details.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by jangy
You can get heat soak just about anywhere.
correct, but if you have ever done any datalogging and stopped at 110 you missed out on alot of important data
Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
That is of course if she doesn't mind me tearing apart her car
there is a market, trust me. No need to tear the car apart, just pop off the front bumper and see how much room up front, the oil cooler is angled differently then in the E55.

edit: I will be in there soon doing my own HE so I will take measurements
Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Mark has ASP Pulleys and only our heat exchanger. Stock pump, stock circuit, upgraded HE. Being that it was late, and we wanted some numbers, we forgot to install the lower engine cover as well...I seem to remember it was about 65° out. Cruising we were seeing IAT temps in the upper 70°s on the highway. Full boost runs up to 107mph we saw IATs spike to 120°, then fall back down to upper 70°s within 30 seconds. Also, coolant temps never went above 185°. I think these were great numbers considering he is using the stock pump.

THANKS A LOT BRANDON
your testing will finally give the evidence I was looking for.
I belong to that share of Enthusiasts that become a little concerned all the time it needs changing too many parts/system of our OEM Beast

If becomes true that the biggest bottleneck -POOR COOLING- encountered when raising boost and power, could be solved to a large extent by simply replacing this HE while maintaining STOCK PUMP& STOCK CIRCUIT SYSTEM, it would be GREAT.
For me, it will be nothing psycologically harder than replacing air filters

Therefore, does Mark's pulley-ed car no more encounter the same Supercharger shutting off as before .. and to what extent ?

If yes, it will be very interesting to check with TopGun's car the effectiveness of further mod: CM30 PUMP & separate cooling circuit&RESERVOIR from engine's one
at first view, the separated coolant circuit will be no more vented by the fan, as it is when OEM ... therefore temp could result even worse if a specific fan is not added. *EDIT*
I'm not very confident but, in case of positive outcome with CIRCUIT SEPARATION .. we could find it is enough simply adding a reservoir and separating cooling circuit, while maintaining stock HE
.. but would in any case prefer your simple HE replacement

thanks again for the good work
Marco

*EDIT*
.. no more sure of this statement. Engine coolant has a usual working temp of about 80Celsius or 176F and fan helps only for keeping down to that level. Don't think the intercooler needs that minimum at all: therefore, separating circuits could result only good, but then, what sense for Mercedes to plan a unique cooling circuit

Last edited by dyno; 11-25-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the Johnson pump.. would be very easy to intall if one is already installing a bigger HE.

CM30 pump a bit faster than stock.. but more reliable.

If one plans to keep the stock pulley.. Pump and HE would be a great starting point.. specially here in So Cal.

Any pulley install.. should have a larger HE and Pump vs the ECU tuning.

Just my opinion.

Tuning would come in if you want to add the headers and TB (imho)

lets' see..

$800-1000 ASP pulley, VPR, LET
$699 FMIC Code3
$125 pump
$400 install (4rs hours)

$2k out the door!

save the $400 and one can do it yourself.. just need the right tools for the pulley.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry for the data delay. Phatmitzu can verify that we went out and collected data. And I can verify that I overwrote it by accident with about 5 seconds off logging...It was very late, what can I say But, I will be back in LA Monday, and hopefully we can go out and get some more data.

Call me on Monday.. specially after 2pm and we can meet around my area.

Would like to help out the 55 community.

I'm not sure about going past 110 around here.. there is too much traffic. But we can take readings of WOT around town and the freeway.. which is the most important part in my case.

It's well document.. I had 3 tickets in 06 with my C32 .. I can't afford to get another one.

BTW: I do have a radar/laser detector now Beltronix RX75.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by EUROTEK//AMG
this makes the E55 looks sooo evil....
+1

It looks develishly aggressive
Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
the Johnson pump.. would be very easy to intall if one is already installing a bigger HE.

CM30 pump a bit faster than stock.. but more reliable.

If one plans to keep the stock pulley.. Pump and HE would be a great starting point.. specially here in So Cal.
not sure if your answer was at me ... but I'm located a bit far away

btw, do you have a separate cooling circuit with pump working permanently?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Two reasons that I kept the stock pump.
1. I am going to put the johnson pump in the trunk along with the reservor.
2. Almost all heat exchanger upgrades(DIY or not) includes the upgraded pump. I wanted to see just how much of an improvement just with the HE alone.

Engine mods includes: ASP, VRUS Air Tube, K&N filter.

The car pulls hard even after multiple WOT pulls. No signs of power fading or SC shut down. Butt dynos means nothing. Brandon's got the datalog with the numbers. I'll let him post up.

Now, on with the pictures.

STOCK UNIT. Note now tiny the core/liquid paths are.

THE CODE5 UNIT. Thick Bar and Plate core.

INSTALLED

Last edited by phatmitzu; 11-27-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 AM

2004 E55
do you need to remove the front bumper to do the install?
How easy is this to do in your own garage? do you need someone with experience for this? i'm considering getting a Johnson pump along with this unit if it's easy to intall.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
It looks great Mark. Everyone keep in mind that was a prototype unit. Production units look a little bit nicer. Also, the production unit uses the stock oil cooler brackets, not the brackets shown in Marks pictures. Regardless, behind the grill, the unit looks great and very aggressive. I would take strong welds over pretty welds every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. We pressure test our welds to 150psi for leaks.

As for data, I got some new data tonight, and its very nice. I will get it sorted out and posted tomorrow. The unit will go on sale tomorrow for all E55s as well.

Bay Area User - Yes the bumper needs to be removed. The installation is very straightforward. Doing the Johnson pump at the same time is ideal. I may be up that way soon, as a few people have asked about installs.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Two reasons that I kept the stock pump.
1. I am going to put the johnson pump in the trunk along with the reservor.
2. Almost all heat exchanger upgrades(DIY or not) includes the upgraded pump. I wanted to see just how much of an improvement just with the HE alone.

Engine mods includes: ASP, VRUS Air Tube, K&N filter.

The car pulls hard even after multiple WOT pulls. No signs of power fading or SC shut down. Butt dynos means nothing. Brandon's got the datalog with the numbers. I'll let him post up.

Now, on with the pictures.

STOCK UNIT. Note now tiny the core/liquid paths are.

THE CODE5 UNIT. Thick Bar and Plate core.

INSTALLED

Looks good..what bulbs do you have in the small lamps...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

any more CLOSER VIEW of car front, without bumper ?
thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
bump for a group buy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Custom Front Mount IC HE (2003 E55)