W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley versus Evosport, Renntech and etc: Which

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997C2S
ASP pulley versus Evosport, Renntech and etc: Is there any real difference?

Hey guys,

I have been researching the various pulleys and wonder if there is any negatives to the ASP versus its more expensive competitors?

It seems clear the ASP makes the most power due to size, but is also more prone to elevating IAT's, which would cause the CPU to retard timing and reduce power.

However, assuming I upgrade the IC pump and install an auxiliary heat exchanger, is a bigger pulley always better? I read something about harmonic balancers, gel filled, but don't know what these things means or the benefits.

Also, what are the advantages of the 3 pulley Evosport system versus the single pulleys of the other manufacturers?

Are there any pitfalls after resolving the cooling shortcomings of the E55 with the largest pulley other than worn out rear tires?

Thanks
Tony

Last edited by TonyJ89117; 10-24-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Some members have mentioned the poor workmanship of the ASP pulley, the fact that it may shred a belt. I'm waiting to hear more avout VRP pulley pricing, as I do like the design of it. Other pulleys in the set will allow for the spin ratio to remain closer to stock once larger pulley is introduced to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 PM

997C2S
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Some members have mentioned the poor workmanship of the ASP pulley, the fact that it may shred a belt. I'm waiting to hear more avout VRP pulley pricing, as I do like the design of it. Other pulleys in the set will allow for the spin ratio to remain closer to stock once larger pulley is introduced to the best of my knowledge.

The possible shredding of belts by the ASP pulley does not sounds very comforting. Is the ASP the only belt some members are experiencing problems? Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The larger the pulley, the more the instaboost. In other words, the bigger it is, the less smooth engagement will be. Life is full of compromises.

Here is my take on this:

The ones that use a re-made OEM pulley scare me. I lost an engine on one. The ASP is apparently the worst workmanship. The critical point in making that style is to ensure a tight fit between the new outer ring and the old (OEM) inner ring, while maintaining proper balance. I did not find out until after my episode that other tuner worlds do NOT like this style at all. They prefer the fluid dampened and consider the OEM overlay style to be archaic. It makes you wonder why RennTech went to a different setup (although identical in diameter) last year, huh?

I like EVOTech and will give them a shot. We will see how customer service and overall selection works out. I also like EVOSport's setup. I do not know anything about the Kleeman or VRUS ones. I am interested to see some feedback from VRUS'.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Jangy:
u lost an engine because of an ASP pulley? what the heck happened?...

Couldnt you file a claim with them?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jangy
The larger the pulley, the more the instaboost. In other words, the bigger it is, the less smooth engagement will be. Life is full of compromises.

Here is my take on this:

The ones that use a re-made OEM pulley scare me. I lost an engine on one. The ASP is apparently the worst workmanship. The critical point in making that style is to ensure a tight fit between the new outer ring and the old (OEM) inner ring, while maintaining proper balance. I did not find out until after my episode that other tuner worlds do NOT like this style at all. They prefer the fluid dampened and consider the OEM overlay style to be archaic. It makes you wonder why RennTech went to a different setup (although identical in diameter) last year, huh?

I like EVOTech and will give them a shot. We will see how customer service and overall selection works out. I also like EVOSport's setup. I do not know anything about the Kleeman or VRUS ones. I am interested to see some feedback from VRUS'.
your post is QUITE misleading. as long as i've been on this site, i've only heard of one asp pulley eating belts. on the other hand, the evosport pulley has eaten MANY belts and you lost an engine to a renntech.

fine if you question the workmanship but let's not speculate beyond opinion. the asp pulley has satisfied MANY 55 owners.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by derrick_lui
Jangy:
u lost an engine because of an ASP pulley? what the heck happened?...

Couldnt you file a claim with them?
No,it WAS NOT an ASP pulley.

Search some of Jangys past post's and you can read more about it.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
your post is QUITE misleading. as long as i've been on this site, i've only heard of one asp pulley eating belts. on the other hand, the evosport pulley has eaten MANY belts and you lost an engine to a renntech.

fine if you question the workmanship but let's not speculate beyond opinion. the asp pulley has satisfied MANY 55 owners.
I agree ASP here for almost 13k+ miles give or take with-out a single problem.
It might be the ugly duckling but it sure works good.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Yes,the ASP pulley is not the prettiest one on the market,but I will admit their craftsmanship is getting better.

I have only heard of one member having belt issues and I do believe ASP took care of that,no?

Also on the Jangy pulley issue.From what I have gathered it was an installment problem,not pulley problem....you can take that as my opinion if you would like.But crankshaft pulley bolts dont just fall out because of the pulley.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I also have been looking into these.
And what i have come up with is:
ASP = bigger = more heat and jerky (wild engagement)
pros : best bang for buck and performance. Lots of 55ks have them
rest seem fine. New news to me that the evosport has had problems.

Apparently the new renntech ''gel pulley'' is the bomb due to design (damping system). I believe its safer and more friendly to parts (harmonic balancer etc?)
Please correct me if i am wrong
also i have not been able to find some one with this new pulley.. or talking about it.

other issues you might want to consider
to do ecu with pulley or not
some have said you do not need to
others have said you best do it to get best gains (and will need ecu if you have more mods)

hope this helps
Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
My ASP is rusting - but at least it is in one piece still!!! Besides the rust it works fine ... but its wiorthwhile to once over the car every so often to see if the rubber is perishing etc .. any ring wobble, pulley bolt OK etc etc ...

While you can run the ASP without ECU - adding an ECU remap makes the world of difference. Honestly. It cleans up allot of the jerkyness... in fact I have hardly any jerkiness at all just instant go !
Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Put me down as another satsifed customer from ASP. I actually like the jerkyness(my GF doesn't)

Stevebez, do you feel any negeative difference in power since getting the ECU.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Does all your ASP pullies have uneven cuts on the side of it? Not the welding, but they looked like small parts have been chipped off on the side of the pulley where the welds are.

Mine looked like that and I thought its because they had to shave some areas for the balancing??

Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I have ASP...it eat my belt a bit if 10k...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
One more Happy ASP customer....
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by chiromikey

Many 55, but not other tuning people. I am not knocking ASP, per say. I do not like the entire series of OEM remakes.

My loss may have been due to other factors than just name brand.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
eating up belts... is not that frequent.

I have the same belt for close to 15k miles...

jerkyness yes.. but its part due to the IAT's. and type of belt used and belt slip.

My jerkyness occurs less now for sure.

I'm switching to a better belt soon.. so I will comment on that.

ASP without IC pump or HE is not recommended..

If you have the money, invest in a quaility product.

If you don't plan to keep the car... ASP or VRP is a good choice.

I have spend under $1800 on my 3 mods (pulley, pump, HE) including labor.

very happy with results.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Why do some people do fine without cooling mods and some people strongly urge to do IC pump/ HE.....

If you dont track your car and just use it for ocassional boost....is ASP pulleys alone fine?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM

2017 Charger Hellcat
I'm running the ASP also and am happy with the results after 12k + miles
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Why do some people do fine without cooling mods and some people strongly urge to do IC pump/ HE.....

If you dont track your car and just use it for ocassional boost....is ASP pulleys alone fine?
Any M113 Kompressor that has a pulley size bigger than 168 mm will suffer from heat soak after one pull on the dyno or one WOT run. A secondary heat exchanger, or a cooling package is needed to avoid the SC from shutting down.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM

wow...unbelieavable...ONE pull and you are finished......then I really dont get how people can be satisfied with ASP pulleys alone
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow...unbelieavable...ONE pull and you are finished......then I really dont get how people can be satisfied with ASP pulleys alone
i live in az and it's not as bad as you're interpreting. with a properly working stock i/c system you will suffer heat soak but that's not the same as the s/c shutting down. if you have the updated i/c pump from mb (which you should under warranty) you shouldn't have any problems with s/c shut down. however, iat's still get high enough for the ecu to start pulling timing and adding fuel resulting in less power...but that's nothing like the s/c shutting off.

Last edited by chiromikey; 10-26-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Then I guess i should be fine if i were to do the ASP pulleys as im in the east coast where the weather gets cold...I also do have the updated MB pump from warranty a couple months ago..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Well many owners with ASP pulleys tend to upgrade their cooling system down the road to cope with the heat soak issue.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then I guess i should be fine if i were to do the ASP pulleys as im in the east coast where the weather gets cold...I also do have the updated MB pump from warranty a couple months ago..
yep, you should be fine. just realize that you'll probably suffer heat soak, especially in the summer, but the overall power increase should still override the loss. also keep in mind that an i/c upgrade is still a very good idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: ASP pulley versus Evosport, Renntech and etc: Which