W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappointed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
disappointed...

When your $90K car has it's steering rack replaced at 10000miles, leaks oil from the valve cover gasket at 39000...yeah, I drive it like I stole it, but still...Great car to drive, but only to lease, never to own, especially past warranty period...I was looking forward to the new C63 but will reconsider....
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
All cars have issues... Our Jag, BMW, Audi, and MB all had issues. As long as they are resolved then I'm ok, but agree that it sucks. You can always go for the Lexus?

http://www.lexus.com/isf/?s_ocid=pdsrch
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///AMG
Cheer up,
Things happen to all the cars out there.
It could cost 10,000 or 100,000,000 ***** happenes.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Dip

Originally Posted by rusbel
When your $90K car has it's steering rack replaced at 10000miles, leaks oil from the valve cover gasket at 39000...yeah, I drive it like I stole it, but still...Great car to drive, but only to lease, never to own, especially past warranty period...I was looking forward to the new C63 but will reconsider....
You don't know disappointed, R&R on the rack 2.7 hrs with alignment, valve cover gaskets 1.3 hrs. So in 39,000 miles your car has been worked on under warranty for less than 5 hours. Please by all means reconsider the lexus.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
You drive a Camaro and are complaining about MB reliability? That's a trip. This coming from a guy who just had his entire rear end replaced on his Z06 without once taking the car to the drag strip or road course, and is far from driving it like he stole it.

-m
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 AM

2007 E63, Audi S4, 1965 Goat
Wow, you realize replacing the valve cover gasket means there is nothing wrong with your engine, your engine was not damaged because of the faulty gasket and that it is one of the most easy replaced items?

I'd love it if on all my cars one of the only problems I had was to replace the VCG.

Let me know when there's a car out there that is 100% certain to be problem free....and has 400-500 hp on tap.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
You can always go for the Lexus?

http://www.lexus.com/isf/?s_ocid=pdsrch
Nice car this - like the design and decent power for N/A with all the latest tech, gotta like the 8sp slush box tho !!!

No doubt someone going to TT this thing to 1000HP.....
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
You drive a Camaro and are complaining about MB reliability? That's a trip. This coming from a guy who just had his entire rear end replaced on his Z06 without once taking the car to the drag strip or road course, and is far from driving it like he stole it.

-m
+1. Let's see, mine is also a 2006 and has had an oil sensor replaced, it's been in for the transmission 3+ times, CD changer was replaced once, hesitation, squeeking brakes, droning exhaust at freeway speeds, and a self-opening trunk (no, I'm not kidding). Now the pano roof is starting to rattle and I'm at 12K miles. Want to trade?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM

one of seven
Mine has been pretty good overall but I am getting ready to take it in for the 3rd time because when I fill the gas tank up my entire garage smells like gas - very strong - until I get the car down below 3/4 tank. grrrrr

and what about the letter from MB stating that for 04 models the SOS function will no longer work after 1/1/08 because it's analog?? Only about $2000 to upgrade that - double grrrrrrr

Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Although Lexus (and Acura) do have great reliability and much better customer service, they still don't give you the feel that Mercedes Benz vehicles do. There is just something about Mercedes that excites the soul. I have nothing against Lexus. I owned one for 10 years (170,000 miles) and never had ONE PROBLEM with it: no transmission change, no electronic problems, nothing........ but just can't explain my love for the BENZ....

The best thing to resolve a problem like yours is to make sure you stay under some kind of extended warranty; let the warranty company pay for it......
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
KA8

2003 CL55 AMG
I feel ya my Power steering was replaced at 400 miles.

This thread gives a great reason for mb fanboys to unite.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM

2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
You don't know disappointed, R&R on the rack 2.7 hrs with alignment, valve cover gaskets 1.3 hrs. So in 39,000 miles your car has been worked on under warranty for less than 5 hours. Please by all means reconsider the lexus.
5 hours?....the car has been in for 9 hours today...I wonder what that would cost without warranty
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 PM

-m
Actually my camaro has heads and cam done, has drag radials, runs high 11's and still has the original 10 bolt..over 45ooo miles and counting...has only been to the dealer once for a pinion seal leak....so what's your point? My camaro cost 30 K brand new and L+D is hell of a lot cheaper then on on a 90K MB...thats the real "trip"
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fast55
+1. Let's see, mine is also a 2006 and has had an oil sensor replaced, it's been in for the transmission 3+ times, CD changer was replaced once, hesitation, squeeking brakes, droning exhaust at freeway speeds, and a self-opening trunk (no, I'm not kidding). Now the pano roof is starting to rattle and I'm at 12K miles. Want to trade?
My point exactly...stuff like CD changer and moonroof should break on KIAs, not on E55...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Although Lexus (and Acura) do have great reliability and much better customer service, they still don't give you the feel that Mercedes Benz vehicles do. There is just something about Mercedes that excites the soul. I have nothing against Lexus. I owned one for 10 years (170,000 miles) and never had ONE PROBLEM with it: no transmission change, no electronic problems, nothing........ but just can't explain my love for the BENZ....

The best thing to resolve a problem like yours is to make sure you stay under some kind of extended warranty; let the warranty company pay for it......
I agree...never said I didn't love to drive the car...just thought that for the amount of money we pay for these cars we have the right to expect better quality...this is my first MB..my prior car was a 2001 Lexus GS300...I traded it in with 156k and NEVER had mechanical or electrical issues
Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I agree...never said I didn't love to drive the car...just thought that for the amount of money we pay for these cars we have the right to expect better quality...this is my first MB..my prior car was a 2001 Lexus GS300...I traded it in with 156k and NEVER had mechanical or electrical issues

I agree, with you......... For the prices they charge, Mercedes need to work a lot harder on their quality control and especially on their customer service.....
Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Actually my camaro has heads and cam done, has drag radials, runs high 11's and still has the original 10 bolt..over 45ooo miles and counting...has only been to the dealer once for a pinion seal leak....so what's your point? My camaro cost 30 K brand new and L+D is hell of a lot cheaper then on on a 90K MB...thats the real "trip"
I've had 3 E55s, and they've all been pretty good. I had a MAF go out on my W210, and my W211 had a bad intercooler pump, broken sunroof track, and some other stupid stuff. You will not find another 500hp car that is trouble free, period. I don't care who you buy it from. You aren't paying for "rock-solid-never-a-single-problem-reliability" - you are paying for a premium mid-size luxury sedan packed with technology and supercar performance. A leaky gasket and a faulty steering rack for 40k miles is hardly something to gripe about especially if you are driving the sh*t out of it. My Z06 was over $70k (and '08s are $80k) and the build quality and reliability on it has not absolutely stellar either - cars got 12k miles and seen PLENTY of time at the shop, and I do not drive it hard.

You have to pay to play in the 500hp world, no matter who makes the car. Also, high price tag != toyota corolla reliability.

-m
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I agree with marcus, you have to pay to play.

That being said, get t-boned or hit head on(NOT LITERALLY), in the Lexus or Acura, and see if they hold up like a Benz. Of course, safety isn't important because we are all safe drivers here
Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
You have to pay to play in the 500hp world, no matter who makes the car. Also, high price tag != toyota corolla reliability.

-m
Most MB's will have issues, some serious and some not or both and it doesn't matter if it's a 500 hp E63 or a 228 hp C300.... The same is to be said of any brand even Lexus.
We've all paid to play...it's called the price of admission, and the debit in your bank account is your ticket stub!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM

I've had 3 E55s, and they've all been pretty good. I had a MAF go out on my W210, and my W211 had a bad intercooler pump, broken sunroof track, and some other stupid stuff. You will not find another 500hp car that is trouble free, period. I don't care who you buy it from. You aren't paying for "rock-solid-never-a-single-problem-reliability" - you are paying for a premium mid-size luxury sedan packed with technology and supercar performance. A leaky gasket and a faulty steering rack for 40k miles is hardly something to gripe about especially if you are driving the sh*t out of it. My Z06 was over $70k (and '08s are $80k) and the build quality and reliability on it has not absolutely stellar either - cars got 12k miles and seen PLENTY of time at the shop, and I do not drive it hard.

-m
Nobody is talking about " never a single problem"..but c'mon...a steering rack at 10k and a puddle of oil under the car at 39k?!?! ( trans oil and oil pan were leaking too btw once they cracked it open )...That's just embarrasing!...Part of the reason we buy these cars is for the prestige...Imagine pulling up to a nice restaurant with yor wife or gf and leaving a puddle of oil under the car...NICE!!! I am ok with this stuff happening at 80k or 100k but not this early...oh, and I would never pay 80 k for a chevy or a dodge..but that's just me
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
If the IS-F had come out a couple years ago....it's under powerd compared to the C63, and boring compared to the M3 IMO. Lexus's or any Jap car in that matter are great. Only problem with my Z is the annoying noises. There will always be a + and - about anycar IMO. But wish you the best with the Benzo.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
If the IS-F had come out a couple years ago....it's under powerd compared to the C63, and boring compared to the M3 IMO. Lexus's or any Jap car in that matter are great. Only problem with my Z is the annoying noises. There will always be a + and - about anycar IMO. But wish you the best with the Benzo.
+ 1.

cars break. especially when you drive it like you stole it!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Nobody is talking about " never a single problem"..but c'mon...a steering rack at 10k and a puddle of oil under the car at 39k?!?! ( trans oil and oil pan were leaking too btw once they cracked it open )...That's just embarrasing!...Part of the reason we buy these cars is for the prestige...Imagine pulling up to a nice restaurant with yor wife or gf and leaving a puddle of oil under the car...NICE!!! I am ok with this stuff happening at 80k or 100k but not this early...oh, and I would never pay 80 k for a chevy or a dodge..but that's just me
My friend I'm not giving Mercedes the "OK" to make cars that have problems - I'm just saying that in the case with ANY company, there are cars that have problems. With 500hp and driver beating the crap out of the car, that possibility is magnified greatly. I am surprised the owner of a GM product would be so hard on MB. The Z06 by luxury/technology standards is mediocre at best - and inspite of being much more geared for hard driving, it is relatively as reliable as my E55, maybe even less so - and I would say I drive the Z06 harder than the E55 because I only take out at night and on weekends when I'm looking to really drive. I'm sorry you are disappointed, but my point is to put things in perspective. You want to drive the **** out of a 500hp 4000lb luxury car, some stuff might break.

I've had 2 W211 E55s and never had any kind of problem like you've had. Even with the problems you've had, I wouldn't complain - my dealership has taken very good care of me with all my MBs and my MBs have rewarded me dispite their sometimes quirky reliability with all the things we've all come to love about them.

Just my $.02

-m
Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 AM

CL203 & sprinter
Behh.. my car sucks.. its a lemon.. but im in love with it..
*daydreaming about my car*

best of all.. its a benz =]