Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
Wow, what a poser

No pics... sorry.

I was just flipping through this forum trying to find pics of an E63. Reason?

Today, I was behind an E63 with only 2 tailpipes. I thought something was wrong. It was one lane so I couldn't get along side and view the brakes. However, as we approached a stop sign, I got over to the left (had to make a turn). He took off before I could get a good view. Of course, I did notice he had the E63 badge on the front fender too.

Wow. I've seen people add the badge to a non-AMG that had the AMG package. Of course, they usually just add the AMG on the right side. This is the first time I've witnessed someone upbadging from a lower model and try to pass it off as something better. WTF? I hope I run into this guy again so I can give him the headshake look of disbelief & disappointment. He should be ashamed.

Last edited by dsb; 11-06-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by dsb
No pics... sorry.

I was just flipping through this forum trying to find pics of an E63. Reason?

Today, I was behind an E63 with only 2 tailpipes. I thought something was wrong. It was one lane so I couldn't get along side and view the brakes. However, as we approached a stop sign, I got over to the left (had to make a turn). He took off before I could get a good view. Of course, I did notice he had the E63 badge on the front fender too.

Wow. I've seen people add the badge to a non-AMG that had the AMG package. Of course, they usually just add the AMG on the right side. This is the first time I've witnessed someone upbadging from a lower model and try to pass it off as something better. WTF? I hope I run into this guy again so I can give him the headshake look of disbelief & disappointment. He should be ashamed.
Ya posers suck! However, the non-AMG's you claim that add the AMG badge are actually AMGs. My brother picked up his SL500 with the AMG body-kit from the dealership and it came with a AMG kit. If you have the AMG kit on it technically it is an AMG....not a E63/C63/SL63 but a AMG never the less.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
It amazes me that people actually switch the badging on their car.
I mean is it really that big a deal? Do they feel better when they're driving it?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 AM

2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Ya posers suck! However, the non-AMG's you claim that add the AMG badge are actually AMGs. My brother picked up his SL500 with the AMG body-kit from the dealership and it came with a AMG kit. If you have the AMG kit on it technically it is an AMG....not a E63/C63/SL63 but a AMG never the less.
I disagree. Just b/c a non-AMG has the AMG body kit does not give it the right to display the badge.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 AM

G55
Uh yeah...it's NOT an AMG. An AMG car has a hand built motor. NOT a hand installed body kit.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
[QUOTE=MTG BRKR;2491312]Uh yeah...it's NOT an AMG. An AMG car has a hand built motor. NOT a hand installed body kit.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
maybe he just had aftermarket exhaust on his 63? did it have amg rims and front bumper?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 AM

2003 e55
but an aftermarket exhaust from quad (twin on both sides), to a dual on one side?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
but an aftermarket exhaust from quad (twin on both sides), to a dual on one side?
hmmm, i guess it could be interpreted as dual on one side or single on each side?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Ugghhh...

It's NOT an AMG, unless, well, it's an AMG. Body kits, brakes, exhaust, do not an AMG make. And they do NOT come with the badges from M-B if those items were installed post-production, period, the dealers are putting them on. I went over this yesterday with my service adviser, who said he sees more posers than real AMGs. And (at least in the US) if you really think a body kit makes an AMG, try to register for the AMG Private Lounge, where they ask for your VIN, that will put it to rest real quick. I wonder if all these posers are telling their insurance companies that their cars are AMG too?

Posers/poseurs, it's the MOTOR!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
Ugghhh...

It's NOT an AMG, unless, well, it's an AMG. Body kits, brakes, exhaust, do not an AMG make. And they do NOT come with the badges from M-B if those items were installed post-production, period, the dealers are putting them on. I went over this yesterday with my service adviser, who said he sees more posers than real AMGs. And (at least in the US) if you really think a body kit makes an AMG, try to register for the AMG Private Lounge, where they ask for your VIN, that will put it to rest real quick. I wonder if all these posers are telling their insurance companies that their cars are AMG too?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by MTG BRKR
Uh yeah...it's NOT an AMG. An AMG car has a hand built motor. NOT a hand installed body kit.

Exactly.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
tell me about it, saw a W163 ML with the 6.3 badge on the side
Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM

i like to ride my bike
i actually don't get the amg badge thing either.

BUT it is possible that you can downgrade the exhaust from
2 on each side to 1 on each or even none!! just for stealth resaons!!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM

i like to ride my bike
oh i forgot!! through AMG Performance Center that is!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 AM

SL55
Cool Who Cares

Here's a copy of my post from some time ago...

This has been on the boards over & over. I say live & let live.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=RoydRage

Not putting anyone here down... But...

I'm just getting a little tired of all the bashing. Yes, I've seen a lot of this too, but what happened to imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

I saw a red SL550 in Mamaroneck, NY, almost brand new... It had the Zero cut off on SL550, and a AMG badge on the right side of the trunk... Now this is a smokin car in it's own right, the guy should have been proud... It did not have the Kompressor side badges, or the Quad exhaust, or the brakes. Why he had to do this I don't know.

But You know what? If it makes him happy God bless him. He loves the 55, and obviously wanted one but could not swing it. He's a car guy, a Benz guy! He shares our passion!

Lets just give thanks for what we have, and try not to put down others, and let's all enjoy what we have been blessed with.

Best Always,

RoydRage
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Live and let live... okay. I'll agree to a certain degree.

Look, I'm not a fan of someone adding the badge when they have the body kit. Do I think it's appropriate? No. Yet, in that case, one could make the argument that they should proudly badge it as such.

However, this is entirely different. Removing the E350 or whatever badge and then adding 63 badging is simply wrong. Also, now that I think about it, it clearly did not have the 5 spoke AMG wheels. It think it may have been an E550 instead. If I was a 550, I'd proudly drive it around. Why be ashamed of owning a $70k car? I wouldn't upbadge and then worry that some enthusiast would find me out. Why feel the need to pose? I'm an easy-going guy, but I will never truly accept that type of behavior. It's wrong, it's deceptive, and I can't respect that sort of person.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by vegastrashed
I disagree. Just b/c a non-AMG has the AMG body kit does not give it the right to display the badge.

Well I guess you and Mercedes Benz don't share the same view. If you walk onto a MB dealer, you will see SL's, S550's with the AMG kit often come with the AMG badge from the factory. My brother got his SL500 with the badge on it. Now....if it were me, I would take it off (actually, I wouldn’t get a NON-AMG ) but some people think it's cool to have the badge. The AMG badge and the E55/E63 badge are 2 different things. To me if you have the Kit it's ok to have the badge.....but if you have a NON-63-55...then you are a big time poser!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by MTG BRKR

Actually it has both...you fail.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
Ugghhh...

the MB dealer!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S
Well I guess you and Mercedes Benz don't share the same view. If you walk onto a MB dealer, you will see SL's, S550's with the AMG kit often come with the AMG badge from the factory. My brother got his SL500 with the badge on it. Now....if it were me, I would take it off (actually, I wouldn’t get a NON-AMG ) but some people think it's cool to have the badge. The AMG badge and the E55/E63 badge are 2 different things. To me if you have the Kit it's ok to have the badge.....but if you have a NON-63-55...then you are a big time poser!
Honestly, I have never seen a non AMG car with AMG badges at any MB dealership. Maybe it is the dealership where I purchased both of my E-55's but never have I seen one on the showroom floor or on the dealership's lot.

I have, however, seen dozens of "poser" AMG badged cars driving the streets of Scottsdale.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by Fielding
Honestly, I have never seen a non AMG car with AMG badges at any MB dealership. Maybe it is the dealership where I purchased both of my E-55's but never have I seen one on the showroom floor or on the dealership's lot.

I have, however, seen dozens of "poser" AMG badged cars driving the streets of Scottsdale.
Wish you lived in Ca. I would tell you to drive down to Flecture Jones. Ill be going today to pickup my brother's car for him and i will count the # of non-AMG cars with AMG badges
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Get your facts straight. I don't share the same view as MB DEALERs who put the AMG badges on non-AMG cars. You will not see a non-AMG car coming from Stuttgart sporting a AMG badge.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I saw the exact same scenario in Irvine at The District about two months ago. They basically think they've saved like $40K. Idiots.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Isn't it all about how you look at it.... Is AMG a manufacturer or a tuner?? Is it poserish when someone installs a Lorinser body kit and puts the name all over it? If not. doesn't that hold true for the AMG kit?

What if you have upgraded your engine with AMG goodness?

And to the other side of the arguement I have seen a CLS with the stock bodykit, wheels and exhaust but 63 badges from tip to tail!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wow, what a poser