Sponsored by:

A little help with options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help with options

I am actively looking for an 05/06 E55 and have found many that look very nice with low mileage (under 40k). My ignorance comes in when trying to compare the vehicles and all options associated with them. Are there a couple of options that are "must haves"? Here are two links for reference.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Thank you in advance.

KM

Last edited by Kyle M; 11-09-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
The only "must have" options I wanted on my car were the DVD navigation, xenons, and the CD changer. Everything else just adds weight and the potential to require repairs in the future. The only option I wanted but couldn't find at the time was I was in the market was Parktronic. However, all else being equal, the more fully optioned the car is the better, and if I had it do over, I probably would have spent more time looking for a fully optioned car. But even a minimally optioned E55 is an incredible car.

Last edited by komp55; 11-09-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Must-haves for me:
Dynamic seats, lighting package (bi-xenon), nav, keyless go, parktronic.

Optional for me:
Pano roof (looks cool but add ~150-200lbs)
Vent seats (so-so in terms of the cooling that you feel)
Rear & side sunshade
Electronic trunk closer
Distronic (never use cruise control anyway)
Designo (looks good but not worth extra $$$)

But like kompressed said.... look for the most loaded car... it'll make you easier to sell down the road. For me, I got the car w/ all possible options minus distronic
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM

CL65
I got everything but Distronic and TPM. I would like to have the TPM but dont care too much about D. I wouldn't want to do without my Keyless go, Dynamic seats or Sat Radio.

Personally I wouldn't want to buy a car with engine mods but wheels and built-in radar detection are nice extras. I like the way the Nav looks, but its probably one of the worst navigation systems out there, I could live without it. Bluetooth would also be nice.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM

2003 e55
i got pano roof, the engine start button, rear side sunshades, bixenons, blah blah, everything but navi and parktronic, which i would love to have both navi and parktronic, but oh well, im getting a aftermarket dvd navi, anyways, id definitely take the 2nd one, the black one
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
i got pano roof, the engine start button, rear side sunshades, bixenons, blah blah, everything but navi and parktronic, which i would love to have both navi and parktronic, but oh well, im getting a aftermarket dvd navi, anyways, id definitely take the 2nd one, the black one
See, that is where my heartburn comes in. The black one is an '06, versus an '05 for the gray one, and they both have similar mileage. Why is there only a $4k delta? Does the gray car have that many more options? It seems to me the black car has more?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

CL65
Don't know about the price. I didn't see where any options were listed for the gray one. The rear LCD DVD player in the head rest is not a factory option. If you are serious about one of these call and ask about the specific options. I hate when someone selling a car does not list the specific(more money) options, but instead list all the standard factory equipment. Then you have the ones that mix the standard equipment in with the options and you have to read 30 lines to figure it out. I think Zoink's post above lists most of the factory options other that Satellite radio, TPM, and whatever phone options were available(not sure). A fully optioned car in 05/06 would be close to $100K sticker. I think the Distronic was over $3K.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I forgot about sirius, TPMS & phone....

I think the max. MSRP on this car was somewhere $101-105K. I think I priced my car before using info available online (don't have the window sticker anymore), my sticker came up to be around $98-99K.

Anyway, based on what I could see from the pics:

Flint Grey has:
Lighting package
Dynamic seats
Sirius
Rear sunshade
Vent seats
Keyless go
NO parktronic
NO pano roof
NO distronic
NOT designo
NOT SURE about electronic trunk closer, nav, phone & TPMS

Black one has:
Lighting package
Dynamic seats
AFTER MARKET sirius
Rear sunshade
Vent seats
Keyless go
NAV
AFTER MARKET rear entertainment system
NO parktronic
NO pano roof
NO distronic
NOT designo
NOT SURE about electronic trunk closer, phone & TPMS

I'd suggest you go and check both cars yourself.... don't be stuck w/ $4K difference even though it's 1-year difference. Sometimes pictures don't depict actual condition. Sometimes dealers are clueless about these cars. Sometimes they are just desparate to let this car go. Sometimes they put the "firm" asking price.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM

E63
After having my car for awhile, I would say the only must have if I were to buy it again would be keyless go, it makes it so much more convenient and parktronic, it makes parking brainless. All the other stuff are nice to have but not necessary for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks - I didn't realize the gray car doesn't have NAV. I don't really care about that as I have a Garmin I can use for longer trips. And y'all are right - I need to call and inquire to get the full story.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by zoink
Must-haves for me:
Dynamic seats, lighting package (bi-xenon), nav, keyless go, parktronic.

Optional for me:
Pano roof (looks cool but add ~150-200lbs)
Vent seats (so-so in terms of the cooling that you feel)
Rear & side sunshade
Electronic trunk closer
Distronic (never use cruise control anyway)
Designo (looks good but not worth extra $$$)

But like kompressed said.... look for the most loaded car... it'll make you easier to sell down the road. For me, I got the car w/ all possible options minus distronic
The pano roof adds 88 pounds. I think you are confusing the number with the roof load that is rated at 221 pounds.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The pano roof adds 88 pounds. I think you are confusing the number with the roof load that is rated at 221 pounds.
Could be.... I just remember I read it somewhere... not sure whether it's true or not, or whether I misread it or not

Either way it adds weight....
Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kyle M
Thanks - I didn't realize the gray car doesn't have NAV. I don't really care about that as I have a Garmin I can use for longer trips. And y'all are right - I need to call and inquire to get the full story.
No, I didn't say the grey one doesn't have NAV. There is no picture showing the map (while the Black one has a picture w/ maps)... so I'm not sure. And I think for '05-'06, the one w/o NAV has the same head-unit face , hence, cannot really tell
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Got mine essentially "loaded" except for distronic. I would not buy the pano roof again. Not for just the weight penalty, but at 12K it's starting to rattle. That and I don't like not being able to tilt the roof open unless both shades are 100% open, unlike a regular sunroof where you can tilt it up with the shade closed. Most everything else I would consider "essential": keyless go, drive dynamic seats, nav, lighting package, satellite radio, bluetooth phone, linguatronic, etc.