W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

The great debate: new E55 vs. new M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
The great debate: new E55 vs. new M5

OK, so there's one lousy review out in Automobile mag. No reason to panic. But this much seems clear, even tho the 0-60 time is probably an anomoly, the new E55's handling may not be up to par. Looking at the rtf video, the driver was really struggling and getting a full work out in the slalom. The Airmatic suspension may not be up to the task of the supercharged engine. But I also expect that the US spec model will come with fatter tires (as is the case with current model), so handling and launch may also improve.

The new M5 is still a pipe dream, but the next 5 series is right around the corner. We know the boys at ///M will come out with an F1 inspired engine equal or better to that of the AMG 55K. Handling should be better too. But we also know it will be wrapped in a new ugly Bangle butt body, with a strange interior, and an i-drive that nobody knows how to use.

Which to choose?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
It is a hard question, I'd wait to see what the M5 is really going to offer and look like
Old 11-08-2002, 12:48 AM

04 BMW m3
its a tough call because theyve simplified the i-drive and changed the bangle butt a bit to a more appealing rear end. bmw tries to keep its //m consumers happy. either way i dont think you can go wrong with either car. i think it could be narrowed down to basically wanting a stick or auto. because rumor has it that even the new smg will be sans auto mode
Old 11-08-2002, 01:23 AM

bmw 745i, ml55 AMG
well...my guess is that upcoming M5 will be pure racing car, and E55 is a more luxury, more elegant FAST sedan. From rumours i heard it will have 3 stage suspension and 3 stage gearbox i mean it will be rocket on the straights and very luxy in the City,
i'm not worried about handling probabbly because i'm not concidering taking it to the track.

BoB
Old 11-08-2002, 03:32 AM

E55 AMG
Here are pictures of the next 5 series. Looks pretty much like the final version to me. It still has a heavy case of Bangle butt and the nose looks too Pontiac-ish. Based on looks, the E wins easily. http://www.autoweek.com/specials/gal.../BMW5spy/1.htm
Old 11-08-2002, 04:44 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
Hi,

the pics of the new M5 were... uhahaaaa ugly...!
The testvideo is not very fair! Does anyone know what kind of steering they used? Parametric Steering (german: Parameter Lenkung) or standart steering? If they used parameter it would be the same as the bmw cause mercedes copied the bmw steering model.
So don´t worry about that!
The new M5 has nothing to do with the Formual 1
It will have a strong engine thats all. And BMW models always have a better handling then Mercedes and Audi. So don´t worry bout it.
The new M5 and M6 won´t be pure sports cars - just fast limousines. Mercedes is more luxury BMW more sporty.
And if you wan´t a real sports car you have to buy a porsche

Search in google for "Ruf 993 turbo".
Thats the BMW killer....
Old 11-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by mikE55
Here are pictures of the next 5 series. Looks pretty much like the final version to me. It still has a heavy case of Bangle butt and the nose looks too Pontiac-ish. Based on looks, the E wins easily. http://www.autoweek.com/specials/gal.../BMW5spy/1.htm
Wow, that is butt ugly! It will take a lot to grow on many people's taste.
I agree with ianPooley, M5 will be a performance car, but the E55 will be a very good performer, but an excellent eye catcher. Go with E55 IMO
Old 11-08-2002, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd take the E55, then the RS6, then the M5.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:58 PM

E55
ACK!!! that picture is FUGLY!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
...It still has a heavy case of Bangle butt and the nose looks too Pontiac-ish.[/url]
Bangle Butt! That's funny.

My mistake - Now I am posting like JAME55. Oh well - 5,000 post in a month here I come.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by E55 KEV
Bangle Butt! That's funny.

My mistake - Now I am posting like JAME55. Oh well - 5,000 post in a month here I come.
ohh, you gotta do better than that to look like JamE55, LOL
Old 11-08-2002, 07:33 PM

E55 AMG
Originally posted by IanPooley

The new M5 has nothing to do with the Formual 1
It will have a strong engine thats all.
I'm not so sure about that. The Oct. 30th issue of Autocar has the new 5 series on the cover, with the same pictures I shared via the Autoweek url. Autocar states the new M5 will have a n/a V10 rated at 500 bhp. They state the V10 is needed to keep pace with the new E55 and RS6.

It just so happens that the BMW F1 engine in the Williams is also a V10. BMW M will surely use lessons learned from F1 and incorporate it into the next M5. Coupled with SMG II, you've got an F1-like drive in sedan form. Too bad the new 5 series looks so ugly. Autocar also had a pretty good photo of the interior. Looks like a cross between the 7 series and the X5 on the inside.

My feeling is that the new E55 will be the better total package with more class, better style, better comfort/luxury, and killer performance. The M5 will be a pure racer, but looks count for a lot, and that's a major weakness for the new M5.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
mikE55
The only lessons learned from F1 are marketing. there will be no F1 technology in the new M5.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM

04 BMW m3
Originally posted by stephens
mikE55
The only lessons learned from F1 are marketing. there will be no F1 technology in the new M5.
how can you say that. the smg is taken from f1 experience. in addition a lot of technology which i think I posted somewhere here indicates a lot of imported F1 technology. A major reason why certain companies participate in F1 and justify the incredible expense is in order to portage some of the tech. to consumer automobiles, it would be foolish to keep the two totally homogenous.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Re: The great debate: new E55 vs. new M5

OK, so there's one lousy review out in Automobile mag. No reason to panic. But this much seems clear, even tho the 0-60 time is probably an anomoly, the new E55's handling may not be up to par. Looking at the rtf video, the driver was really struggling and getting a full work out in the slalom. The Airmatic suspension may not be up to the task of the supercharged engine. But I also expect that the US spec model will come with fatter tires (as is the case with current model), so handling and launch may also improve.

The new M5 is still a pipe dream, but the next 5 series is right around the corner. We know the boys at ///M will come out with an F1 inspired engine equal or better to that of the AMG 55K. Handling should be better too. But we also know it will be wrapped in a new ugly Bangle butt body, with a strange interior, and an i-drive that nobody knows how to use.

Which to choose?

where do you see the great debate? I don't see it. Present M5 sportier than present E55 so what?I don't see sales of e55 suffering because of M5 now. Those that want M5 buy M5 and those that want E55 buy E55. While M5 may be a fast car, beiing able to drive it fast on the road is another matter. Please post proof that M5 anywhere in the USA destroyed E55. One always gets the article from one of the car magazines that M5 is their choice but after driving one I dont see it that way and therefore don't care for it. You get 10 people to drive the car you get 10 opinions.
I will never drive 150mph on the twisties, nor will M5 driver the benefit of M5 suspention therefore is big fat zero there.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The reason most companies compete in F1 is for marketing benefits, not product development. Sure some ideas may come from F1, such as SMG, but the SMG transmission is also a perfect example of a technology that has no relation to the systems used in the F1 cars.

An SMG transmission is totally standard with a computer controlled servo system for gear and clutch actuation. In case you weren't aware Saab were using this system well before BMW and they have no F1 involvement at all. Most Euro manufacturers offer this as an option (includng Merc), because it is a more fuel efficient version of the traditional automatic with the sporting benefits of the manual. Current makers of the technology include Sachs, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Magneti Marelli (for Ferrari), Siemens, and Aisin Seiki Co

You appear to have bought the BMW F1 marketing hype hook, line and sinker, which is the real reason that car manufacturers involve themselves in F1. Why do you think motorsports involvement is listed as "marketing" in these companies books and not "R&D" which attract significant tax benefits??

Last edited by stephens; 11-09-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:07 PM

Too Young To Drive
Oh, so you're saying F1 is just a marketing joke. Ferrari, I bet even if they closed down their passanger car division, the F1 team would still probably go on. And what about companies such as Sauber, Minardi, Jordan.. they have no involvment in your everyday road cars.

And ooh yes, the idea of SMG is from F1, no doubt. No question several technological and mechanical features of F1 were derrivatives of the BMW-Williams F1 Transmission.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Re: Re: The great debate: new E55 vs. new M5

Originally posted by Fast Eddy
where do you see the great debate? I don't see it. Present M5 sportier than present E55 so what?I don't see sales of e55 suffering because of M5 now.
E55 sales have always been low demand. Only 500 units per year compared to the much higher demand for the M5 at 2200 units per year and the M5 still sells over MSRP.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dNA3D
I am not saying F1 is a marketing joke, it is a very serious business.The joke is passenger car manufacturers ie Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes trying to create an association between their F1 sponsorship efforts and their passenger cars.
The SMG transmission you seem to hold so dear as an example is manufactured by Siemens and was originally used by Saab back in '94. This transmission has NOTHING to do with BMW's involvement in F1. Any suggestion otherwise is naive.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Re: Re: The great debate: new E55 vs. new M5

Originally posted by E55 KEV
E55 sales have always been low demand. Only 500 units per year compared to the much higher demand for the M5 at 2200 units per year and the M5 still sells over MSRP.
Well, it means that you have a more exclusive car with the E55.