W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!

Had my car in for more mods.

and my tech told me that he just had the 2nd set of Greens come through had fallen down out of place, allowing unfiltered air to circulate the motor.

Not saying "Greens bad" or anything.

Just asking you to pop off the air tubes (black plastic tubes that run to front grill) and peek in with a flashlight. You'll either see them in place or hanging down.

Would hate for any of you to suck a leaf or pebble and WHAMMO!!!

Last edited by Jakpro1; 11-24-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55, She drives: 08 CLS63, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Thanks for the FYI!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
See? I'm not hating and I am sorry that some vendors have chosen them. BUT, if they really want to save face, they need to be more proactive. The filters MUST either be fixed or pulled. PLUS, and this is the part that they don't get, they MUST go back and replace ALL of the defective ones. One of these days we will have a 55K motor eat a pebble and all heck will break loose.

K&N went through the same growing pains. In their case, the Big Rig trucks were used (since they log so many hours) to gather all of the data needed. There were cases where the car manufacturer wanted to challenge customer warranties because of the filters and K&N set a precident in this industry by standing by their product. They flat out told all of their clients that if they had issues, K&N would support them. The court cases came and went and K&N survived.

Aside from that, I have almost 10 years of racing experience using them, including baja cars in he Sahara. That place tears cars up, because the sand is so fine. ALL the cars get trashed after a single run. Because of that, many don't care about the filter as long as it gets the big stuff. We started using the K&Ns and were able to start using motors for multiple races before rebuild. That is when I became a believer.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

and my tech told me that he just had the 2nd set of Greens come through sucked down out of place, allowing unfiltered air to circulate the motor.

Just asking you to pop off the air tubes (black plastic tubes that run to front grill) and peek in with a flashlight. You'll either see them in place or hanging down.

A somewhat naive question for you...
Is it possible that you have exceeded the flow-through rate of these filters with the mods that you have? i.e. your engine requires significantly more intake air than most other 55K motors, and it ends up creating a vacuum that the Greens can't handle (resulting in them collapsing)?
Just a thought!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Don't mean to hijack, but how about BMC filters? Are they as good quality build as K&N ?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the problem with my C32..

I have clean them twice.. but the filters are not a good tight fit.

NO CEL's...

one reason I have not bought any filters for my E55... no need the extra 1 or 2 hp...

maybe for MPG reason.. but that is disputable as well.

I'm probably going to buy the stock ones.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Unfortunately, the car will not throw any warning signals on a misfit filter.

This all teaches me one lesson. We need more surface area. I work in the Biotech industry (or did) and we always filter all the gases that go into a product. Some of the lines I have been on are pretty big, so I thought about rigging a canister type filter for the 55. It would basically replace everything from the split just past the TB. I tried using Cone filters. That is all good, but then you are in the engine compartment, and hot air. Butthen I thought about building a housing to go ALL the way around the cone. A canister, so to speak. Rigging up a "cool" zone in that tight compartment is too hard for me. Anyhow, the backside of the canister just connects to the front intake (which I would also like to get bigger). I'm playing with it now, but butt dyno is all I have to go by. I am getting a datalogger this week, so I can at least see what the difference is in pressure drop. If the new setup shows to be more stable with pressure, then I may be on to something.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
I supposedly purchased the newly design Green Filters thinking this wouldnt happen, and to my surprise i took them out last week to clean, and VOILA!! they were just like the ones pictured... They were so flimsey when i took them out... The rubber seal was like jelly! i reinstalled the stocks...

-Walter
Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I am not sure where you purcahsed them from, but if they calimed to be the new ones, you definitely should address this problem with Green Filter as they are currently under the impression it was fixed since they did redesign all the filters. Although it is possible where ever you bought it from sent you an old set.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
I am not sure where you purcahsed them from, but if they calimed to be the new ones, you definitely should address this problem with Green Filter as they are currently under the impression it was fixed since they did redesign all the filters. Although it is possible where ever you bought it from sent you an old set.
+1. It would really be bad if their fix didn't do it. I would assume that the issue is done if they addressed it. My real concern would be buying from a vendor and making sure you get the new ones. Neal, can you elaborate on how we might know they are the new ones? Better yet, everyone should know that Euroteck carries them and will follow up on concerns. I'd say get them through Neal so that he can be abreast of the situation. This came up in a previous post and it seems that Neal has a voice withing Green. I'm sure they will do what is needed to get a tight seal and we'll be on our way.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Jangy, so you use K&N? Any issue w/ too much oil on the filter?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by zoink
Jangy, so you use K&N? Any issue w/ too much oil on the filter?

I've never had an issue, but I DO NOT clean and re-oil mine. I buy them new. They come sealed in a bag, pre-oiled and ready to go. I run them for about 20K miles and throw them away for a new set. Just how I am.

I have many times done the cleaning and re-oiling. I used to let mine sit for a few days before I pu it back on the car, so the oil would drain. If you have drainage, then you put too much oil on the filter.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

and my tech told me that he just had the 2nd set of Greens come through had fallen down out of place, allowing unfiltered air to circulate the motor.

Thank you!
I checked my Green Filters over a year ago and they were OK.
This time, they are all soft and sticky and one of them has totally collapsed with the rim torn off.
How many pebbles did I suck in, nobody will ever know!
Attached Thumbnails Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!-100_4925.jpg   Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!-100_4926.jpg   Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!-100_4928.jpg  

Last edited by Rafal; 11-25-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
Neal, I bought three sets of Green Filters from you!
Please take a look at the photos above. What are my chances of a refund?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Rafal
Rafal, yes I remember. I am sorry to see this with your filters. I will be addressing this issue with green filter first thing in the morning. I will contact you back immediately when I hear from them. I will make sure of it something is done for you.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
My Green Filters actually melted to the airbox. When I was swapping them out for new ones, I had to actually razor some parts out of the filter housing.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Unless Green Filters refunds him, I don't think you should expect anything at all from him, that wouldn't be right.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Fantasm
Unless Green Filters refunds him, I don't think you should expect anything at all from him, that wouldn't be right.
Neal has been around here for years. he will take care of the ones that are on here. I'll even bet that he will get this whole thing straight for those that didn't buy from him.

We are often the real testing grounds for new products. They simulate what they can in the facility, but real life is always different. I'd suggest you keep a close eye on them and let Green respond in a timely fashion.

Somebody (me) needs to take a pressure differential accross that filter. I am thinking that we must have a major restriction for the filters to get sucked. I could see them falling over time, but getting sucked in is different.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 AM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Neal! I'm the guy from Toronto who just ordered a pair of green filters from you. Are you sure that the ones im going to receive are the redesigned ones? Sorry, im just paranoid now...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by jangy
I am thinking that we must have a major restriction for the filters to get sucked. I could see them falling over time, but getting sucked in is different.
Since the air inlets to the engine (on the engine side) in the air boxes are above the air filters, are you suggesting that during throttle application the filter is being pulled upward towards the top of the air box housing, and then when the engine isn't running, you get the result we see in the pictures, where the filters droop down toward the fresh air inlets?

Seems rather obvious that the rubber frame of the filters is too weak with insufficient heat resistance, while the filtering material itself doesn't have sufficient tensile strength to prevent lift / sag. Pretty sad to see a highly hyped product perform so poorly.

If these various aftermarket filters translated in to significant HP gains, it would be something to worry about. But fact of the matter is the stock paper filters do a great job and don't suffer with greater reduced air flow like the aftermarkets do after loading up with dirt and particulate matter. Green, K&N, BMC, etc. all offer only very nominal measureable performance gains, if any at all. It's really hard, IMHO, to make a case for using aftermarket air filters for "performance" when there are so many other more opportunities to buy REAL performance gains (pulley, TB, headers, ECU flash, etc.). Maybe throw in the air filters after the big four have been installed, but not before then.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I have the newly redesigned ones and will check my car when I get a chance. This thread has me a little worried.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Ok guys, I just spoke with Green Filter and they stand behind their product and admit to the bad batch. They said the bad batch of filters have "EEC" stappmed on the filter housing, although not all of them are bad. The new filters will not have that, or possibly say USA on them since now all the filters are made here in the USA. Anyone who has a problem they said to call them direcly and they will replace them with the new ones under warranty. Their phone # is 724-430-2050 you can ask to speak to anyone in tech support. If you do not reach anyone there, ask for Jason.

Rafal, since you are out of the US, do not bother contacting them, I spoke with them about you and they are sending me new ones for you which i will have sent to you. I am going to PM you now so that you can give me your shipping address.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by ATKM5
Neal! I'm the guy from Toronto who just ordered a pair of green filters from you. Are you sure that the ones im going to receive are the redesigned ones? Sorry, im just paranoid now...
You are definitely getting the new ones, do not worry.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Mined collapsed as well. I am running 55 air boxes on my C32 and the filters failed the same way. The rubber deteriorated and a piece of trim rubber is now doing circels in my blower.

I will take pictures sometime this week.

The problem with these filters has to do with rubber. Other companies use silicone, looks like Green saved some costs and went with rubber. After several years of heat cycles rubber gets soft and filter falls apart.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Been there, mine did the same thing. I have BMC's now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please Green filter guys...I am BEGGIN you to check!!