W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who is a former ///M driver???
Former BMW Owner/Enthusiast
52.70%
Always a Benz Owner/Enthusiast
18.92%
Still a BMW Owner/Enthusiast
21.62%
Neither
6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Former BMW drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
e39/m5/dinan convert. have never looked back.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs down Iv'e owned them too!

Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
This is my first AMG after owning and selling the BMW's below. I've owned my 05 for three months now and I'm beginning to miss my BMW's. Why, 1) better ride and handling, 2) better warranty, 3) better transmission, 4) better sound system, 5) better NAV, 6) better instrumentation, 7) better ergonomics and computer interface, 8) better resale value, and 9) better cars overall. Now before I get flamed my 05 is 1) a lot faster straight line 0-60 and 0-100, 2) better looking, 3) a head turner and not just another MB, 4) more comfortable, and 5) a better family car.
BMW's just suck period. My 335i has been in the shop repeatedly: Oil Cooler, Fuel Pump, Blue tooth, all nagging problems. My two W211 E55's have virtually been trouble free. The "handling" claim attached to the BMW's is way overrated, Harsh, And you must rev them to the extreme to get anything out of them!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by CWW
The second M Roadster was a 2001, and holy $#it, that thing was absolutely sickening. For 2001 & 2002 it had the bigger engine from the new M3. Doesn't seem impressive, until you realize the car is the size of a roller-skate and weighs next to nothing. I would regularly outrun anything that raced me, and timed the 0-60 run at about 4.5sec (though I didn't have a digital datalogger). Car and driver and the other auto mags tested it around 4 1/2 also, though it is very hard to launch. It would light up the tires through the first 3 gears and sometimes chirping in 4th. I went through rear tires on that thing about as fast as I changed the kitchen trash bags. Having driven both, that car would probably run with most healthy E55's, though it's kinda hard to believe me when I say that if you haven't driven one.

Both M Roadsters were annoying to drive. Because of its tiny size and nonexistent curb weight, driving on the highway at anything over 100 was downright frightening. The car would skip around, buffet in the wind, and just act up. The later model would also fishtail violently at anything over half throttle with TC off, to the point where you couldn't even keep it on the road. Compounding the problem is that TC in that car was an "all or nothing" affair. Basically, you were either skidding off the road or you were sitting still for 5 seconds watching a flashing yellow triangle while whatever you were racing gained 500 yards on you.

Then I had a 2002 M3 with SMG that I leased used. I absolutely hated that car. Like the M-Roadsters, it was very plasticky inside. The ride was horrendous, the stereo sucked elephant ***** despite being the "upgraded HK" (would hate to see the non-'upgraded' one), and that SMG tranny is so rough even on its mildest setting that it virtually precludes using the car as a daily driver. Thankfully, I got an attractive lease special and was able to move it along pretty swiftly on swapalease.com. I only had it around 4 months.
Hey there CCW:

I too had the 2001 roadster, with the E46 engine and a 20002 M. Loved the power to weight ratio, but I did have a datalogger, and NEVER got ANYWHERE near that time of 4.5. My best, with FRESH tires, cause yes they did eat them alive, was a 4.90.

Anyway, I made the switch to AMG and have NEVER looked back. Yeah the M's make a GREAT sound, but you have to pay WAY too much in creature comfort for that sound at 8000. Oh yeah, HATED the interios/radios in each. Tell me what a BAD joke the upgraed HK sound system was in the raodster. One could only imagine how pathetic the stock one was.

Oh well, AMG's for me please

See yeah
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there CCW:

I too had the 2001 roadster, with the E46 engine and a 20002 M. Loved the power to weight ratio, but I did have a datalogger, and NEVER got ANYWHERE near that time of 4.5. My best, with FRESH tires, cause yes they did eat them alive, was a 4.90.

Anyway, I made the switch to AMG and have NEVER looked back. Yeah the M's make a GREAT sound, but you have to pay WAY too much in creature comfort for that sound at 8000. Oh yeah, HATED the interios/radios in each. Tell me what a BAD joke the upgraed HK sound system was in the raodster. One could only imagine how pathetic the stock one was.

Oh well, AMG's for me please

See yeah
4 & 1/2 can definitely be done in the 2001/2002 M Roadster. If you think about it, the E46 M3 with the same engine, but weighing more and having taller gearing, is an accepted 4.8sec car. The problem for the roadster is traction. Short gears, crappy TC, and undersized tires really hampered that car.

As an aside, I always got better times on semi-new tires with 500 or 1000 miles on them than a brand-spanking-new set. The car was also a smidge quicker in the winter, not sure when you did your runs.

As to the stereos, ya, the roadsters' stereos sucked massively. I had the 'upgraded' version in both, and at anything over 50mph with the top down you absolutely couldn't hear it at all. I also had to replace that stupid little subwoofer between the seats a bunch of times, along with the midranges mounted behind the seats. Their breaking point was significantly below that of the door speakers, so you would end up blowing them by trying to make your music even barely audible at speed. A royally crappy design. They tried to fix the problem in the 2001 by adding a couple extra speakers behind the seats, but you still couldn't hear it.

Believe it or not, though, the stereo in the M3 was still the worst. Very tinny, no bass, and managed to totally kill the rich tones in most music. The tonal quality reminded me of the when woman at the grocery store calls over the PA for a price-check.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
, but I confess that I enjoyed the overall driving experience of my 540i Sp.
Agree 100%. Went from a 2004 545i sport to the E63. Overall driving dynamics are better in the BMW. I used to say it was a 4-door sports car. BMW owners could make an argument that AMG's are 1/4 mile queens (high powered engines that only shine down the 1320). But still, how many owners drive thru the twisties to get to work. I don't. The E63's power is addictive and I thoroughly enjoy the ride.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Drove nothinng but BMW for 15 yrs until the dealer screwed me big time. Long story. Switched to MB and have never looked back and my last three MB's have been AMG's. There is no substitute for the God of TORQUE on the street and BMW can keep their high reving guttless little engines for the "wanna be" street racers.

I do like the concept of included maintenance with the BMW but in reality, they don't do any maintance other than oil changes for four years and then only when THEY decide it's due, not when you want it done. MB service is expensive but my E rarely needs it.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by speedpeddler

I do like the concept of included maintenance with the BMW but in reality, they don't do any maintance other than oil changes for four years and then only when THEY decide it's due, not when you want it done. MB service is expensive but my E rarely needs it.

The dealer did good by me. They changed my oil several times, my wipers twice and all 4 brake pads and get this....one rear run flat tire!!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 AM

540 6spd
Originally Posted by enzom
I had a 1998 E39 540i that I replaced with a 2001 E39 540i Sport. I loved them, especially the 2001. When my lease was running out in August, 2004, I had no idea what to get. I was going to hold out for the new M5, but I still did not like the style of the new 5 series (*** Bangle), am not a fan of buying a car in its first year of release (teething problems), and did not believe that the car would get here anytime soon.

I had always loved the E55 ever since I read that it ran the quarter as quickly as my C5Z06. So I combined the speed of the Z06 with the practicality and fun of a 4 door sports sedan that seats 5. Traded in the Z06 and bought the E55 in August, 2004.

I love the thrill I get when I stomp the loud pedal in my E55, but I confess that I enjoyed the overall driving experience of my 540i Sport a bit more. Still miss it. Having been on both sides, I can appreciate what each car has over the other.
I like the cut of your jib.....

I love both brands. Any real car enthusiast would as they both build excellent products. The fact that they compete against each other so fiercely make their products that much more fantastic.

BMW don't sell CPO'd M's anymore which says something about the long term reliability of their vehicles. AMG engines require less maintenance as the miles go up. BMW's are the more fluid driving tool though.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Originally Posted by MidniteBluBenz
I like the cut of your jib.....

I love both brands. Any real car enthusiast would as they both build excellent products. The fact that they compete against each other so fiercely make their products that much more fantastic.

BMW don't sell CPO'd M's anymore which says something about the long term reliability of their vehicles. AMG engines require less maintenance as the miles go up. BMW's are the more fluid driving tool though.

What makes you say they don't sell CPO Ms? I just searched and there are 20 CPO M3 convertibles near me. Wish I hadn't done that search. Now I may buy one.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
bimmers have just never done anything for me.. Being the true car enthusiast I am. I have great respect for M5's M6's.. But personally, have no interest in owning one..
Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM

2003 e55
wow.. im so different than you guys, ever since i moved to this country, started from a
1990 accord coupe then..
1995 dodge neon.. then.. became a car enthusiast
2003 mitsubishi evo, thought that was no fun, so..
1995 acura integra ls/vtec turbo 12.0 1/4.. then.. jumped to
2003 e55 amg.. yeaaa.. its weird
Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by tscales
What makes you say they don't sell CPO Ms? I just searched and there are 20 CPO M3 convertibles near me. Wish I hadn't done that search. Now I may buy one.
All 3 of my M BMWs were CPO cars.

They definitely CPO them.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM

540 6spd
Originally Posted by CWW
All 3 of my M BMWs were CPO cars.

They definitely CPO them.
The last M cars that BMW will sell with a CPO are the E46 and E39.

The E90/92 M3, E60 M5 & E63 M6 will not be sold as CPO'd.

Do your research. BMW has stopped CPO on any of the current crop of M cars it's selling... One more reason to buy AMG

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=858170

Last edited by MidniteBluBenz; 12-07-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
The last M cars that BMW will sell with a CPO are the E46 and E39.

The E90/92 M3, E60 M5 & E63 M6 will not be sold as CPO'd.

Do your research. BMW has stopped CPO on any of the current crop of M cars it's selling...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=858170
Actually, you said:

BMW don't sell CPO'd M's anymore which says something about the long term reliability of their vehicles.
In fact, they do still CPO the current-production M Roadsters, M Coupes, and M3s, as well as the old E39 M5s.

I owned two M Roadsters and an M3, which is what I referenced, and you most certainly can still buy these current models CPO. My search of BMWs CPO inventory site turned up 312 currently available.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM

540 6spd
Originally Posted by CWW
Actually, you said:

In fact, they do still CPO the current-production M Roadsters, M Coupes, and M3s, as well as the old E39 M5s.

I owned two M Roadsters and an M3, which is what I referenced, and you most certainly can still buy these current models CPO. My search of BMWs CPO inventory site turned up 312 currently available.
sorry. internet = serious biznezz. i meant that to mean that they won't be offering CPO's on any of the upcoming models / current models as in my post..
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
sorry. internet = serious biznezz. i meant that to mean that they won't be offering CPO's on any of the upcoming models / current models as in my post..
Not trying to take anything overly seriously, I think we just misunderstood each other. Not trying to be confrontational, and my apologies if it came across that way.

You are correct: BMW seems to be discontinuing the CPO programs on the higher-end M models. That blows, and does clearly show that they have zero confidence in the long-term costs of ownership of their own designs. I agree with you, that's a crappy thing to do.

I never had an M6 or M5, only an M3 and 2 MRoadsters, so those were all I knew about, and all I was talking about.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 PM

The MB is a much more comfortable ride by far over any M car I have ever driven. I dont like the styling of the new beemers but you never know they could come up with something good in the future. Im 6-2 and like a roomy car I dont fit in many sports cars but I like fast. I sat in my buddies 911 and felt like a sardine. I personally prefer torque over hp I dont like to wind out just crusin down the street I think it sounds like a muffler monkey and im sure you all know what im talking about. I think BMW got it right with the E39 M5, I love mine even though it sits in the garage most of the time its a keeper. It is a 10 year old design and can still keep up with pretty much anything on the road around town, the new M5 looks fast on paper but 10 years later a few car lengths from 0-100 isnt anything to brag about. MB service pales in comparison to BMW. I called the 1-800 MB customer service and went back and forth with some lady for a week or so and when I asked for a supervisor I was told no and hung up on. The first MB dealership I went to for warranty work had my car for 10 days, lied to me, told me they had fixed the problems under warranty and sent me on my way. And when I called them and said the problems were still happening they wouldnt return my calls. The next MB dealer I went to found all the problems that the first one said they had repaired and fixed them all since the first dealer had not done a damn thing. I never had anything like this happen to me in all my years dealing with several different BMW dealers. I still want to talk to an MB district rep and even the second dealer cant or wont put me in contact with someone. So yes the MB is more enjoyable to drive and better to look at but is it really worth the headache.
Will
Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 AM

'08 e63 amg wagon
I owned a '02 CLK 430, I was always very happy with this car but it was a little to girly for my tastes. I switched to an '03 (E46) M3 and caught the mod bug. I installed an Active Auto Werks supercharger with a front mount intercooler and several other mods including lowering and i-forged wheels. That was the best looking car I ever owned and the communication thru the steering wheel was incredible. My experence taught me not to do dramatic engine mods to a highly strung German car if you don't have a very experienced tuner (BMW experience). The car was very fast but was constantly suffering minor glitches that became very annoying.

When I finally couldn't take it anymore I had no reservations about going back to Benz and well probaly never buy another BMW. I bought an '07 CLS 550 and loved it except found it kind of difficult to get in and out of. That wasn't enough for me to sell it though. This car had the smoothest engine I have ever driven and the ride qaulity was also very good.The bucket seats in the rear gave my dog no place to ride, so i found myself driving my truck more than I wanted to.

I traded the CLS in for an '08 E63 wagon. I have always wanted an AMG car and finally felt that I could swing it. The car only has 430 miles on it so I haven't really got to enjoy it. I put a pet barrier in the back so the dog can go with. My buddy told me I need to train her to raise her paw and shake it out the back window at the people I smoke in a race. I've always thought that wagons were cool especially when it is the ultimate sleeper. I can't wait to suprise some Cobra guys.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
I owned a '97 BMW M3 Sedan for about 6.5 years. I thought about getting an E39 M5, but with the E55 coming out with the supercharged engine and absolutely smoking it, I had to reconsider. Also, the Bangle styling has totally lost me as a BMW fan (as well as their interiors) so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an E55. I think the comfort and interior is much better and the ride is a little smoother than the Bimmers. And...I don't even want to try iDrive...
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
I own both, but in the end if i had to choose one, it would be the M5 hands down. Overall it's the better car for me. At higher speeds it's the safer car to be in, which i'm there alot.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 AM

E 211
1998 E39. sold it to a friend in 2000 for $13.000 and got a w163.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I have owned 4 M cars and 4 AMG cars. I do not see this balance changing in the future as the AMG's are all monsters that pin you in your seat while the M's are high reving machines that love to be wound out in the twisties.

If every garage had an M and an AMG, the world would be a better (if not more chaotic) place.